PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin Pro Reef DKH

ruffyruff
02/26/2014, 09:27 PM
I am a pretty seasoned Nano Reefer, never had really questions in the past as i just kept reading but i m now getting into the chemistry of things....

Back then i had
20L
10% bi-weekly water change with Tropic Marin Pro Reef
Aqua Remora pro skimmer
GFO & Carbon in a bag
35-40Lbs of LR --> yes a lot
Chaeto
ATI 4 bulb T5HO

I grew sps and lps and softies really fast, cept that if i m lazy after 3 weeks of no water change, the sps colors would look dull. Since it looked so great, i sold it and made some money.

I had the Biocube 29, with 30 lbs of Live Rock, using same salt, Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt

Junk Biocube skimmer now replaced with AquaticLife 115
GFO & Carbon in a bag
Steve'sLED retro =D
Purigen
Green Machine UV Light
Chaeto

This tank ALWAYS had nitrates and phosphate since my dad wouldnt stop feeding it and buying weird stuff.. which I gotta take care. Nonetheless, i had to put an end to that madness and take control. It was only able to keep mushrooms and GSP.. nothing medium - hard.

I wanted to introduce SPS in the tank, but everytime i would kill the frag, so i decided to become a chemist. The parameters i m getting are:

Salinity: 1.025ppm
Temp: 78F
Mag: 1320
Cal: 440
Alk: ~7.0
Nitrate: ~20
Phosphate: ~35

So i took matter and replaced the gfo more often, more water change, started dosing vodka 3 weeks ago and cooked baking soda... after all that ...

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78
Mag: 1300
Cal: 410
Alk: ~7.8
Nitrate: ~2-5
Phosphate: ~30

I know the phosphate is still high, still working on it... but then i started to think about what i m putting into the tank.

I checked the Tropic Marin Pro Reef DKH batch I ordered a month ago, and its giving me 10dkh.

What are your levels and if you have any other suggestions to help me with my tank, any advice or suggestion is welcome!!!

Thanks

hedgedrew
03/02/2014, 10:31 AM
That salt is supposed to be in the 7.5 to 8.5 dkh. Which is fine esp for vodka dosing.

jscarlata
07/26/2014, 05:33 PM
I have the same prob, new bucket, first batch of 25g came Out at 11.2, mixed the contents of the bucket and made another batch, same alk.
Mixed the contents of the tmp salt again by pouring the contents from one bucket to another...will make a new batch and test.

Vinh_
10/15/2014, 06:46 AM
Tagging along on this one.