PDA

View Full Version : Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Mike Ordner
02/27/2014, 07:45 AM
I currently have a small kole tang in QT using tank transfer. The fish was eating at the store where I bought it. I have not seen it eat in QT. Can he make it through QT without eating? There is plenty of film algae in the DT, so not worried once I get the fish in there. I have tried small pieces of dried algae but it does not recognize this as food. Any advice would be appreciated.

Newsmyrna80
02/27/2014, 08:27 AM
How long have you had the fish? He could be just stressed. I've had fish that wouldn't touch Nori until I put garlic on it then they loved it. How is his behavior/swimming? Is it breathing hard, scratching, etc? I know tangs are prone to ich but if you have a piece of live rock that he could eat off of that may help. Be sure it is a piece that you can part with in the event a disease presents.

Mike Ordner
02/27/2014, 08:42 AM
Had him almost a week. Acting normal but certainly shy. Did add a small piece of rock with him a couple of days ago, but did a tank transfer this morning. He could of picked on the rock when I was not there to see, but would be nice to actually observe it eating. I know fish can go a while without eating, so if worse case hope to get it through QT and into DT where there is plenty for him to eat. This is first time with this species and is so different the Zebrasoma tangs I am used to.

snorvich
02/27/2014, 08:56 AM
Had him almost a week. Acting normal but certainly shy. Did add a small piece of rock with him a couple of days ago, but did a tank transfer this morning. He could of picked on the rock when I was not there to see, but would be nice to actually observe it eating. I know fish can go a while without eating, so if worse case hope to get it through QT and into DT where there is plenty for him to eat. This is first time with this species and is so different the Zebrasoma tangs I am used to.

Yes, they are different than Zebrasoma, but in my opinion pleasantly so. Try nutramar ova or PE mysis. I assume you are using an ammonia neutralizer?

Deinonych
02/27/2014, 11:28 AM
Yes, they are different than Zebrasoma, but in my opinion pleasantly so. Try nutramar ova or PE mysis. I assume you are using an ammonia neutralizer?

+1

Kole Tangs have great personality, but are quite shy initially and take a long time to get over their shyness. They can subsist on mysis and other frozen foods for the relatively short time they are in QT.