PDA

View Full Version : Do Peppermint Shrimps eat pods...?

Spork3245
02/27/2014, 03:55 PM
Perhaps a silly question... But perhaps not! :reading:

Several months back some aiptasia began to grow in my refugium so I dropped two Peppermint Shrimps down there. A week later it was gone. Since I use a pre-filter sponge and occasionally run a sock, about twice a week I throw a handful of sinking pellets in the fuge for the shrimps, when I do I generally see them run out from under the LR rubble to grab some.

Over the past couple of months, I've noticed my pod population seemed to have dropped as I would often see large copepods/amphipods on my filter socks and sponges when doing changes/cleanings and would try to get them back into the water but I haven't seen many lately, at all really.

I don't have any "pod eating fish" yet as I planned on eventually getting a Mandarin. In fact, after my tank was established for about 5-6 months I "seeded" my fuge with two bags of pods from reefcleaners. So today, while purchasing a new Zoa and a Neon Goby from my LFS I decided to buy a bag of pods (same ones that reefcleaners sells). I floated the bag for about twenty minutes in my fuge and then dumped the pods in... A minute later I noticed my Peppermint Shrimps pop-out and go into the same reaction they give when I throw some pellets in there...

TLDR: Added a bag of pods to my 'fuge, Peppermint Shrimps popped out and went into what looked like a "feeding mode". For reference I also have about 4-5 hermits in my fuge but I can't imagine them putting any type of dent into a pod population.

So, basically, what's going on? Why am I having trouble getting a high pod population?

Wmich2008
02/27/2014, 04:29 PM
Pod populations usually come and go. It will just level itself out eventually. I highly highly doubt the shrimp are eating your pods.

Spork3245
02/27/2014, 04:30 PM
Pod populations usually come and go. It will just level itself out eventually. I highly highly doubt the shrimp are eating your pods.

Is there any way to help grow the population or stabilize it sooner? :)
I did buy some live phyto-feast phytoplankton (as opposed to the non-live phyto-feast brand), mainly for my feather dusters, should I occasionally squirt some into my fuge to help "feed" the pods?

Wmich2008
02/27/2014, 08:56 PM
You shouldn't need to do anything as long as the tank is stable and healthy. They will come and go at whatever level your tank can support. When I had a mandarin in my 60 cube I made several "pod piles" and pod condos to make sure the population in the displayed stayed healthy.

ravenstone
02/27/2014, 09:10 PM
You shouldn't need to do anything as long as the tank is stable and healthy. They will come and go at whatever level your tank can support. When I had a mandarin in my 60 cube I made several "pod piles" and pod condos to make sure the population in the displayed stayed healthy.

At the risk of hijacking I have a couple questions. What did you use for your pod condos, just lr rubble? Also, where did you put it in the tank? I ask because I will be moving up to a larger tank soon and one of the fish I realy want to have is a Mandarin Dragonet.

Spork3245
02/27/2014, 09:35 PM
When I had a mandarin in my 60 cube I made several "pod piles" and pod condos to make sure the population in the displayed stayed healthy.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1060/5124699989_a414738d44.jpg

SuperNiketas
02/27/2014, 11:06 PM
When I had a mandarin in my 60 cube I made several "pod piles" and pod condos to make sure the population in the displayed stayed healthy.

+3 for more info on your pod housing. lol