PDA

View Full Version : Best urchin ffor algae

CtlApe
02/27/2014, 07:32 PM
I have plenty of rock for a urchin to graze on so that said what is the best one for algae ? It only grows on certain ones and would like to add just one in my 38 nuvo.

Calappidae
02/27/2014, 09:17 PM
Depends, in a small tank like that you're limited to the tuxedos, pinsushion, and halloween urchin. All three like to pick up rubble, shells, anything not anchored down and can push rocks.

CtlApe
02/27/2014, 10:22 PM
I have all bog rocks and no corals yet but coraline algae is growing great and I have some rocks with hair algae on them would love one of these in my tank. I read that I must glue my plugs to the rocks or they will move them ( there just looking for food I read) so thats why I was asking the people with the experience. :-)

Nina51
02/27/2014, 10:22 PM
i'd go with a tuxedo. i've found that my pincushion picks up anything and everything. the tuxedo isn't as much into fashion plus he isn't quite as much of a bulldozer as the pincushion is.

ReeferBill
02/27/2014, 10:29 PM
I second the tuxedos , I picked up two both blue with red fuzzy spines, good grazers and great to look at. I also have a rock boring urchin but it only eats coralline algae.

CtlApe
02/27/2014, 11:18 PM
Very good info good grazer and no bulldozer is perfect thanks a lot.

Betta132
03/01/2014, 11:29 PM
Tuxedos are great. They don't do too much damage, aren't sharp at all, and only pick up very small things.

Calappidae
03/02/2014, 01:07 AM
I'd like to note that the mentioned urchins would only eat low patches of algae.. like almost not sticking up at all.. any tall patches will be worn as a wig and just spread it more. Even what they eat grows back too fast..

Control the SOURCE of the algae first, not the mower. Tap water, overfeeding, etc are prime examples.

CtlApe
03/02/2014, 05:31 PM
Bought one today. As soon as I put him in the tank he picked up a piece of red seaweed as a hat lol