PDA

View Full Version : My Royal Gramma jumped out of the tank

flixxx
02/28/2014, 02:24 PM
Hi,

I thought Royal Gramma's weren't jumpers. This morning, I woke up with him on the floor :(

Marshall O
02/28/2014, 03:39 PM
There are very, very few fish in this hobby that will never jump. Some rarely do, but still will from time to time. Sorry for your loss :( Are you able to make a cover for you tank?

flixxx
02/28/2014, 03:44 PM
Damn, the worst part is it's a 10 Gallon QT WITH A COVER! I just didn't put it on because i wanted to ensure proper evaporation... dammit, he was such a cool guy with so much character. i've seen grammas always shy but this guy was all over the place.

hogfanreefer
02/28/2014, 05:37 PM
It can even happen in a covered tank while you are doing maintanence. Last night my Christmas wrasse jumped out while I was blowing of some the live rock. Barely could reach him. Figured he would freak out and sand dive when I put him back but he acted like nothing happened.

Keep an eye out when messing with your tank. Sometimes a jumper doesn't make enough sound to even get your attention. If you don't see him he's a gonner.

snorvich
02/28/2014, 08:51 PM
There are very, very few fish in this hobby that will never jump. Some rarely do, but still will from time to time. Sorry for your loss :( Are you able to make a cover for you tank?

Quarter inch mesh is always a desirable cover since any fish can jump. Egg crate will not work.

Fish_King_25
02/28/2014, 08:57 PM
Quarter inch mesh is always a desirable cover since any fish can jump. Egg crate will not work.

Where do you get this from??

Marshall O
02/28/2014, 09:06 PM

Bulk Reef Supply sells 1/4" clear mesh. That plus window screen framing from Home Depot gets you a nice homemade screened top.

leadsinker
02/28/2014, 09:09 PM
Bulk Reef Supply sells 1/4" clear mesh. That plus window screen framing from Home Depot gets you a nice homemade screened top.

you beat to it.

I had a clown jump 3 times, 3 was not a charm for him

http://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?asug=&view=grid&cnt=16&w=mesh+netting

Fish_King_25
02/28/2014, 09:27 PM

I've got an egg crate top I made, and lost a diamond goby and a solar wrasse since I put it on : / wrasse knocked the whole top up to get out..I believe the goby fit right through :( I've gotta try something else

snorvich
03/01/2014, 08:38 AM

Well, Lowes, Home Depot in the "general world", BRS in the aquarium world.

Fish_King_25
03/01/2014, 08:39 AM
Well, Lowes, Home Depot in the "general world", BRS in the aquarium world.

Lol okay.. I'm thinking about making a top out of this stuff and ditching the egg crate..12 bucks for a sheet of egg crate but all well

Marshall O
03/01/2014, 08:42 AM
Don't feel bad, I did the same when I first started. Covered my whole tank with eggcrate, but before I added any fish found that it was useless and ditched it.

Fish_King_25
03/01/2014, 08:54 AM
Don't feel bad, I did the same when I first started. Covered my whole tank with eggcrate, but before I added any fish found that it was useless and ditched it.

All I want is to keep a diamond goby! I just want nice clean sand is that too much to ask?! :)

Marshall O
03/01/2014, 09:06 AM
All I want is to keep a diamond goby! I just want nice clean sand is that too much to ask?! :)

Well, honestly a 29 is too small for a Diamond Goby, or any sand-sifting Goby for that matter. They need a large, established sandbed to feed from. In smaller tanks, they will deplete the sandbed of all microfauna that they eat, and slowly starve, even if they eat prepared foods as well.

Instead look to an invert. Nassarius snails do a pretty good job. Fighting Conch could be another option.

Neptune 555
03/01/2014, 09:52 AM
I don't get it...I just cover my tank with cellophane ? Why the mesh?? I have glass cover and between where the glass ends and the back of the tank I use cling wrap because it allows me to cover the gaps between hob filters. Pls explain the difference and rationale.

Neptune

Marshall O
03/01/2014, 10:21 AM
Gas exchange and less maintenance (you don't need to clean the glass, top or bottom) are the big two reasons for me.

Fish_King_25
03/01/2014, 03:01 PM
Well, honestly a 29 is too small for a Diamond Goby, or any sand-sifting Goby for that matter. They need a large, established sandbed to feed from. In smaller tanks, they will deplete the sandbed of all microfauna that they eat, and slowly starve, even if they eat prepared foods as well.

Instead look to an invert. Nassarius snails do a pretty good job. Fighting Conch could be another option.

I've got 4 nassarius snails and they do a pretty decent job, honestly I've been reading a lot about conchs and so many people rant and rave about them keeping their sand spotless..I think I may get one of these instead.. You're right though Marshall, long term it isn't that smart of an idea

reefgoddess808
03/01/2014, 03:13 PM
I have a glass cover on my tank and my gramma still made the leap of death through the small opening towards the back. Lesson learned I put the little plastic strip on! Sorry for your loss.