PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers! I need help!

Momo3419
02/28/2014, 07:39 PM
Hello, I'm setting up a 180 gallon tank and I'm trying to keep it under 600. I've looked at the aqua maxx and the reef octopus and I think I'm leaning to the aqua maxx cone. But I'll look at anything.

Here's the cone I'm looking at the cone 3

http://www.fragtasticreef.com/AquaMaxx-Cone-Protein-Skimmers-AquaMaxx-Cone-Skimmer.htm

Drae
02/28/2014, 07:44 PM
Perfect skimmer for a 180. Well balanced. I'd grab it if it's available.

saltyair
02/28/2014, 07:56 PM
look at the vertex line - reliable and well priced

swcc
02/28/2014, 08:07 PM
reef dynamics ins180...way better choice for the $$.. the cone 3 is a 6" skimmer better suited for a 90 or so gal tank.

Momo3419
02/28/2014, 08:22 PM
reef dynamics ins180...way better choice for the $$.. the cone 3 is a 6" skimmer better suited for a 90 or so gal tank.

The cone 3 is a 8 inch skimmer.

swcc
02/28/2014, 08:27 PM
The cone 3 is a 8 inch skimmer.

oops.. looked at your link wrong... read the cone 2... still would choose the ins180... no comparison in build quality, parts availability, reputation...
aquamaxx, eshopps, swc, JNS, bubble Magus... all the same china skimmers... name, color, possibly pump differs... bad, not really, but like choosing particle board furniture over wood (if ya get what I'm saying).. if marine depot et al has most models backed ordered for six months(due to import problems)... what happens if ya need parts?

Momo3419
02/28/2014, 08:45 PM
oops.. looked at your link wrong... read the cone 2... still would choose the ins180... no comparison in build quality, parts availability, reputation...
aquamaxx, eshopps, swc, JNS, bubble Magus... all the same china skimmers... name, color, possibly pump differs... bad, not really, but like choosing particle board furniture over wood (if ya get what I'm saying).. if marine depot et al has most models backed ordered for six months(due to import problems)... what happens if ya need parts?

Can you send me a link?

swcc
02/28/2014, 08:49 PM
http://www.reefdynamics.com/INS180-Protein-Skimmer-p/ins180.htm

to the ins180...

Drae
03/01/2014, 06:53 AM

Aquamaxx and reef dynamics are about the same build quality, I have ran numerous models from both companies. The pumps on the aquamaxx are better than the pumps on the the reef dynamics skimmers. Both companies have well balanced skimmers and parts for the sicce pumps that the aquamaxx run are readily available. The reason these skimmers are on back order is because the word is out... They work great. They may be made in Taiwan buy the pumps are fine italian manufacturing. I've also had eshopps and bubble magus and they do not compare at all. The eco plus pumps that jeff uses on the reef dynamic skimmers are just not that great, even the eheim upgrade isn't that great either. Take ot from someone who has ran both brands... Aquamaxx are better in sump skimmers from the coneS co-1 to the cone 7, every last one of them are balanced about as good as it gets. Jmo

swcc
03/02/2014, 09:44 AM
Aquamaxx and reef dynamics are about the same build quality, I have ran numerous models from both companies.

The build quality is not even in the same league. The INS-180 cup lid alone is heavier than the entire body of the JNS. Nobody but nobody that knows and has used these different skimmers would attest otherwise on the build quality/materials. There is a big difference in materials use as well as the polishing and finishing of reef dynamics vs these made in china clones... Yes a reef dynamics is not built like a bubble king... and the JNS(and it's clones) are not built like a reef dynamics.

Your pump views are off as well...
The siccce is an inexpensive 'few years of service' pump just like an ecoplus...
Eheim.. it will last a couple decades no one ever has disputed the quality of an eheim ...it is the king of pumps... Jeff balances em perfectly for the skimmer bodies. Oh, the sicce has horrible failure rates with their impellers...just look at the crop of problems with em.
The impeller assembly of the ecoplus is way more stout and of better materials than the sicce as well as the sedras that came before and are still used today...
Yes, the JNS is a good choice in skimmer... balanced well and should provide good skimming... jury is out on a pump that has only been around for a year or so (zero proven reliability over many years)... and the bodies and lids... well careful and don't drop em cause they are thin...

for long term use the ins-180.. it has huge proven history behind it... giant owner loyalty.. service from a dedicated professional that treats his customers right... excellent build quality and performance for sure.

saltydog1
05/15/2014, 10:34 PM
The build quality is not even in the same league. The INS-180 cup lid alone is heavier than the entire body of the JNS. Nobody but nobody that knows and has used these different skimmers would attest otherwise on the build quality/materials. There is a big difference in materials use as well as the polishing and finishing of reef dynamics vs these made in china clones... Yes a reef dynamics is not built like a bubble king... and the JNS(and it's clones) are not built like a reef dynamics.

Your pump views are off as well...
The siccce is an inexpensive 'few years of service' pump just like an ecoplus...
Eheim.. it will last a couple decades no one ever has disputed the quality of an eheim ...it is the king of pumps... Jeff balances em perfectly for the skimmer bodies. Oh, the sicce has horrible failure rates with their impellers...just look at the crop of problems with em.
The impeller assembly of the ecoplus is way more stout and of better materials than the sicce as well as the sedras that came before and are still used today...
Yes, the JNS is a good choice in skimmer... balanced well and should provide good skimming... jury is out on a pump that has only been around for a year or so (zero proven reliability over many years)... and the bodies and lids... well careful and don't drop em cause they are thin...

for long term use the ins-180.. it has huge proven history behind it... giant owner loyalty.. service from a dedicated professional that treats his customers right... excellent build quality and performance for sure.

I have to agree with swcc on the impeller quality on the Reef Dynamics vs Vertex/Sicce impellers. I have had failures with 3 Sicce pinwheels within one year. I know the RD impellers are not cheap, but they are available for purchase easily unlike Vertex. Vertex (Proline) has been good about replacing under warranty, but when it's out of warranty, can I get a part? I feel like the Sicce pump itself is of better quality than the ecoplus for sure, but the impellers are not! The RD impellers are more robust compared to the Vertex/sicce without a doubt!!!

wildman926
05/16/2014, 07:22 AM
I have to agree with swcc on the impeller quality on the Reef Dynamics vs Vertex/Sicce impellers. I have had failures with 3 Sicce pinwheels within one year. I know the RD impellers are not cheap, but they are available for purchase easily unlike Vertex. Vertex (Proline) has been good about replacing under warranty, but when it's out of warranty, can I get a part? I feel like the Sicce pump itself is of better quality than the ecoplus for sure, but the impellers are not! The RD impellers are more robust compared to the Vertex/sicce without a doubt!!!

The Vertex/Sicce combo is not the same as the JNS/Sicce pumps.

wcharon
05/17/2014, 04:37 PM
Sorry to hijack this tread but i think this question is important in order to decide on a skimmer selection which i need to make also.

Can someone point what is the difference between the Sicce and the Shark pump?? I am trying to decide between the Aquamaxx EM-300 vs the CO-3 for my 125 heavy bioload of fish and corals. Both pumps have the same lph but will like to know quality, durability, etc.

Thanks in advance...

wildman926
05/17/2014, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hijack this tread but i think this question is important in order to decide on a skimmer selection which i need to make also.

Can someone point what is the difference between the Sicce and the Shark pump??

They are the same pump.

wcharon
05/17/2014, 07:17 PM
Great... Thanks...

janes_mw
05/17/2014, 07:19 PM
Aquamaxx/JNS and reef dynamics had em both as well as MANY others over past 25 years. Both good, either one will serve you well but ATB is better if you want to spend a little more. I am currently running a JNS SK2 on my 120 and it pulls just fine with no idle and .... Don't over think this as well as the rest of the hobby.

You are looking at the better skimmers and you won't go wrong with what ever you chose...... trust me :)

azjohnny
05/17/2014, 08:00 PM
You might also want to try a Lifereef skimmer, they are set and forget and you can use any pump that meets the requirements ( not a pinwheel)

here's a thread about them
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2399643

Reeftub
05/17/2014, 08:07 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/juqe7u3a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/6evavuha.jpg
This is the skimz sm-253 dc on my 190g that I just start and cycling the tank pulls crap out of the water http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/syvy9ara.jpg
I'm pretty happy with it so far which isn't long but it's rated for 800g. I know it's still early but this this is a beast of a skimmer and heavy acrylic for $700.00 can't beat it.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/meju6ugu.jpg
This also man made rock brand new so nothing to skim off. Only the shrimp I put in to get tank cycling. Just a suggestion.

Reeftub
05/17/2014, 08:12 PM
You can also go smaller to get in your price range and still will be rated for more tank. I don't know why more people don't use these. They pull a lot of air and water and are super quiet.

james1990
05/18/2014, 10:19 AM
+1 you should check out the LifeReef

mskvarenina
07/03/2014, 08:56 PM
Lifereef over Reef Dynamics. That's the question I'm trying to answer now especially since Jeff is offering 10% off this weekend.