PDA

View Full Version : Dinoflagellates 8 yrs later

alfieferenzo84
03/02/2014, 03:48 AM
Dinoflagellates 8 yrs later still no real answer on how to get rid of them? i read 8yrs worth of post on this site about possible ways and some work some don't but no real sure way as searching names i find a few mo later the same people where posting about them again... Tear down the only way?

Panta rhei
03/02/2014, 05:08 AM
Ime check your rodi water for SiO2, they thrive on silicates. Then, I've had good experience with a product named Dinoxal.

Josh40996
03/02/2014, 06:28 AM
In most cases, simply changing one thing at a time is not going to cut it. You really need to hit it hard. Light out for 3+ days, running UV sterilizers properly configured, dosing Hydrogen Peroxide at the recommended dose for your aquarium if your tank is suitable, etc.

I would recommend reading up on H2O2 dosing as many (my self included) have had 100% success.

Good Luck!

keithhays
03/02/2014, 07:35 AM
I would check this link first so you know what you are fighting:
http://tolweb.org/Dinoflagellates/2445

I am certain you have read Randy's page on it, but:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

The primary problem in trying to get rid of them is know which of them it is or more likely which type of them it is. They key is that they are not one thing, but a multitude of things.

reduce nutrients and to raise pH

1. Find out if you are getting a correct reading on PH first.
Anytime I have ever had them it was because I was getting an incorrect reading for PH to the low side
2. Keep PH around 8.3 or at least approaching it
3. Add GFO filter
4. Add a good quality carbon (bad quality causes HLLE, so pay for the good stuff)

If its the the green variety cut the lights until its gone, do the above, do regular water changes. Hope for the best. Usually within a couple months all of the above has remedied the issue. Cutting the lights alone will not work because some of them can switch to a difference energy source. You will need reduce all simultaneously and until they are no longer a problem.

bglegs
03/02/2014, 08:35 AM
I was battling them for a very long time also,so far it's been 5 weeks dino free.I did 3 days no lights and 2ml per 10 gallons of peroxide.They weren't quite all gone,so I repeated the same steps except I did 4 days lights out.Also make sure your not running carbon, I forgot to shut off carbon reactor.Make sure you use a new bottle of peroxide.

alfieferenzo84
03/02/2014, 11:45 AM
Wow this sucks then... I was hoping i missed something or something new was out there...

Yes i have Dinoflagellates! In my 240gal reef...

Im going to do lights out or very limited light. Peroxide dosing, higher alk, higher ph, and suck it out if i see anymore.

Its been 24hrs of lights out. i don't see any in the tank cuz i sucked it all out. tiny bit in sump probably cuz i left sump light on and didn't notice it was there yesterday.

Wish me luck about to tear tank down this is the 3x i had this stuff in 2yrs

don_chuwish
03/12/2014, 09:44 PM
Any update? 3 days blackout and H202 dosing got rid of them for me.