PDA

View Full Version : Different float sensors

Neokane
03/02/2014, 09:12 AM
kevin,
have you guys looked into any different types of sensors? The float sensors that come with your genesis reef system work great, but periodically need cleaned to keep working great.

Thanks!

PS. Love the system! Makes the hobby more enjoyable!

GenesisReefSys
03/02/2014, 10:15 AM
Hi Neokane,

Thanks for the suggestion and feedback.

We've looked into other level sensors in the past. The RENEW™ and STORM™ systems use quite a few level sensors, and the higher cost of optical, ultrasonic, or pressure sensors adds up quickly for the number of sensors our systems use - and unfortunately most of that added cost would have to be passed along to the user. Additionally, the float switches we have selected are extremely robust and, even though it is rare to have one fail, they are inexpensive for the user to replace if needed.

Interestingly, and even to our initial surprise, we have found that our float switches are actually more reliable than some optical and ultrasonic sensors and require less preventive maintenance.

It's something we'll definitely keep in mind, and perhaps in the future we will offer options with regard to level sensors. However, we have no plans to change to different sensors in the near future, primarily because of the level of reliability our current sensors provide.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback. Have a great day!

Kevin

Neokane
03/02/2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks Kevin. I have had my system for almost a year, just need to clean them, I have gotten a few that are sticking..