PDA

View Full Version : Want to add second pistol shrimp to burrows

Betta132
03/02/2014, 12:45 PM
I currently have a 29 biocube that holds, among other things, a Wheeler's shrimpgoby and a righthanded tiger pistol shrimp. The tiger pistol is a bit over 2" long. I'd like to add another pistol shrimp, as I've read this is possible. Could I add one of a different species? Also, how much of a size difference is okay? Should the new one be at least half the size of the original?
How should I add the new one? Should I put it in the entrance where I can see the tiger, or should I distract the tiger and put the new one somewhere else, let them find eachother?

Calappidae
03/02/2014, 12:55 PM
I'd just throw them in there and ignore them. They'll find their own way.

If you can identify male and female (which I have no clue if that's even possible..) you could get a male+female pair of same species pistol shrimp.. a male+female pair of gobies.. and have a Goby pair+shrimp pair, pair.

Betta132
03/02/2014, 01:25 PM
I already have the tiger pistol, do you think there's any possibility of him being aggressive towards the new one? Or do they just not do that?

Calappidae
03/02/2014, 04:05 PM
I already have the tiger pistol, do you think there's any possibility of him being aggressive towards the new one? Or do they just not do that?

I really doubt it. My lfs has a single 10 gallon holding tank and they just throw pistols in there like whatever, They're not really ment to kill only to scare off. I have no personal experience with this but I plan on doing it sooner or later with convidence.

Also without a goby they're blind!

Betta132
03/02/2014, 04:09 PM
Okay, thank you!
I hadn't considered their blindness... I suppose they probably couldn't tell what species it was.
Hey, do you suppose three pistols in a burrow would work? Or is that just too many?
Mine isn't completely blind... If you wave a shadow over him, he twitches back and waves his antennae up at you, even if you don't touch the water or the glass. I think light detection is about the extent of their sight, though.

Calappidae
03/02/2014, 04:53 PM
They can sense vibration.

I want to say go for it with three but there may be a goby conflict.

Betta132
03/02/2014, 05:23 PM
I know... They're awesome to watch. I love seeing them just feel around and look for things... It's amazing that nearly-blind creatures can do so much.

You mean they would fight over the goby? I suppose the little fellow would have a hard time protecting three shrimp at once...

Reeffwkeeper
03/02/2014, 08:27 PM
I have a Japanese pistol shrimp and a Goby in my tank. They never paired up (I later found out there has been little success pairing this pistol with gobies). I attempted to add a tiger pistol later, but the Japanesepistol got to it (the Japanese pistol removed the Tiger pistol's snapping claw; the tiger pistol eventually died even though I moved it to recover in the fuge). I have a 90 gallon. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend mixing species.

Calappidae
03/02/2014, 09:01 PM
I've heard similar stories about bullseye pistol shrimp. I always did have a strange feeling about japanese pistols..guess that confirms it :eek1:

Betta132
03/02/2014, 09:33 PM
Okay, so I should avoid any all-red pistols and any that are orange with blue claws and a black spot. I had this darkish green one for a while... It paired up with my goby and never seemed mean. Would that maybe work?
My LFS often has these pretty shrimp that I'm pretty sure are Candycane pistols, would that be alright?

Calappidae
03/02/2014, 09:35 PM
Okay, so I should avoid any all-red pistols and any that are orange with blue claws and a black spot. I had this darkish green one for a while... It paired up with my goby and never seemed mean. Would that maybe work?
My LFS often has these pretty shrimp that I'm pretty sure are Candycane pistols, would that be alright?

To my knowledge, candy cane pistols are the safest and smallest ones. The green ones I've had before and I do not believe I ever saw it again in my 29 gallon until I tore it up.. even with a yellow watchman goby.

fishy.22
03/10/2014, 03:20 PM
I've kept tiger pistols in the same tank as candycanes, given a shrimp goby, the tiger pistol paired up with the goby, the candycane was hardly seen again but you could hear them both clicking.
It's likely that if you add a different species, the weaker one will hide. Add another of the same and see if they pair.
Good luck!