PDA

View Full Version : Rock and sand is in.....

Gunsnroses
03/02/2014, 04:41 PM
....the tank that is. Got all the rock washed last night and the sand washed today.
I started out with a solid wall across the tank, but then decided to just use two islands. I really like the look of the wall better, but I think the two islands will serve me better down the road. I was able to get 180lbs of it in there.
Does it look o.k. or should I remove some of the rocks?

My sand calculator said I would be needing about 180lbs of sand to get a 2" bed. Well, after putting the rock in first and adding sand second, I could only fit 120lbs in there and my bed is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep.
Is that o.k?

Second up is mixing the salt. I am guessing there is no other way to do this now other than mixing it outside the tank?
Could I fill the tank with RO/DI, turn on the pumps and add the salt to the sump and let the pumps mix it?

CoralBeauty13
03/02/2014, 05:08 PM
I am kind of new to the hobby myself, but I have learned that you want to premix it first then add it. You set up look beautiful the way you have it. There is no surefire way of doing a sandbed. People will ask what are you going to have in there, wrasse that like to burro, sandsifters, those sorts of questions. I have a 180 with only about 1-2in sandbed depending on where your looking. I believe you are off to a good start, but I would not mix the salt in the tank, you most likely will never get it mixed correctly. I fill a plastic garbage can with my RO/DI water and mix the salt there with the pump running on the bottom of the can. Mix according to your salt stats directions.

Anyone else welcome to chime in if I'm incorrect. I am 8 months new in this hobby !!

jellyfish4me
03/02/2014, 05:11 PM
My vote goes for the first picture, I love that one! But the 2 islands looks nice to. Don't go and change it all because I said that! ;)

I'm to new to give you advice on the salt mixing, so someone else needs to chime in about that. But I don't see why it would be a problem to just mix it in the aquarium if there is no life in there in the first place. I have done that in the past in a 120 gallon many years ago when I was in this hobby before.

Gunsnroses
03/02/2014, 05:34 PM
I am kind of new to the hobby myself, but I have learned that you want to premix it first then add it. You set up look beautiful the way you have it. There is no surefire way of doing a sandbed. People will ask what are you going to have in there, wrasse that like to burro, sandsifters, those sorts of questions. I have a 180 with only about 1-2in sandbed depending on where your looking. I believe you are off to a good start, but I would not mix the salt in the tank, you most likely will never get it mixed correctly. I fill a plastic garbage can with my RO/DI water and mix the salt there with the pump running on the bottom of the can. Mix according to your salt stats directions.

!!
This tank is also a 180 gallon. I am pretty sure the sand will subside a little once the water is in. But right now, it measures about 3 inches at the deepest spot and 2 inches at the lowest.
I have two of those 55 gallon food grade barrels I had planned to use for a mixing station, but they are not set up yet. Guess I need to do that soon.
Gotta figure out what pump I need for it.

Gunsnroses
03/02/2014, 05:39 PM
My vote goes for the first picture, I love that one! But the 2 islands looks nice to. Don't go and change it all because I said that! ;)

I'm with ya 100%. I loved that one too. But after looking at other set up's on here, I believe spacing out all the corals I will be putting in the tank will make for a more pleasing set up later. The full wall will incorporate all the corals and the fish together with no spacing or definition. It will all just blend in together.

I guess the good thing is, I can always add a bridge later to combine the two islands if I end up not liking it this way.

vipermaverickk
03/02/2014, 06:23 PM
I definitely prefer the two separate islands, aesthetically speaking.

Reel North
03/02/2014, 07:08 PM
if that isn't live rock or sand, just fill the tank with rodi. get the heaters going and mix your salt in. thats what i did

JackandJill
03/02/2014, 08:42 PM
I definitely prefer the two separate islands, aesthetically speaking.

+1

if that isn't live rock or sand, just fill the tank with rodi. get the heaters going and mix your salt in. thats what i did

Same here