PDA

View Full Version : Turning up power on LED's

macman4
03/03/2014, 12:47 PM
Have a 29BC, with newer LED's. I have a 2 channels on my lighting controller. One controls 8 10,000k white and 4 cyan. The other controls 8 royal Blues and 4 violets. I have had them for about 1.5 months. These are on a heat sink, in the hood of the BC29. Blues are on for 12 hours a day, and whites are on 9.5 hours a day. I've been adjusting the power on both each week. 2 week ago the blues were at 80% and whites at 65%. then I decided to up the whites to 78%. I seem to be getting a little hair algae growth. Could this be because of increasing white lights? Will the Blue lights grow coral as much as the 10000k white lights. If so I will increase blue lights and lower white lights. I like the way this looks better anyway... some thoughts. The LED's are these

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/24-Bridgelux-LED-Controller-DIY-kit.html

BiggsTheGoalie
03/03/2014, 12:57 PM
From what I've been reading, a jump from 65 to 78% is pretty large for a short time period. I'd keep an eye on your corals to ensure they don't react poorly.

I would say the increased light is likely fueling your algae growth in one way or another. Corals do need full-spectrum lighting in the grand scheme of things, so there's nothing wrong with leaving the whites down a little bit.