PDA

View Full Version : First QT set up...

Neptune 555
03/03/2014, 04:38 PM
I am looking to re-stock my 50 gallon FOWLR after a marine ich / velvet outbreak.

Tank has been fallow for 8 weeks... I want to purchase some new fish for my QT. I have a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon tank for this purpose. I want to start with a toby puffer and 2 percula clowns. Can I house them together or should I house them separate? I will seed tank with food to get the bacteria started... I am not going to use water or any equipment from my DT b/c ich could still be alive? by the time the fish are done with QT the DT will be ready. I have ammonia alert badges.

should I do formalin bath?
Freshwater bath?
prazi?
TT - for all tangs I will do TT b/c they are ich magnets but I don't know about puffers?
Amquel to help with ammonia

thanks!!
Neptune

Newsmyrna80
03/03/2014, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't use formalin unless absolutely necessary. Some advocate FW dips with all new fish, some don't. I personally use them but I've had more than my share of flukes in the last year:/ Hence I also use Prazi as well, along with TT. I haven't owned a puffer but my understanding is their exposure to air should be limited. Hopefully someone with puffer experience will chime in.

DasCamel
03/03/2014, 06:45 PM
The puffer sounds tricky.

What are you using for filtration in the QT?

Neptune 555
03/04/2014, 07:49 AM
The tank comes with a HOB filter with a bio wheel. I don't want to seed it with bacteria from my DT b/c that may still have ich. It has been fallow for only 8 weeks. So sounds like tank transfer with the puffer would not be ideal... Are puffers ich magnets? Would hypo work with a puffer? Yes I am thinking of treating all fish with prazi...

more information on QT for puffer would be helpful. Also can two percula clowns and a puffer be tankmates in QT?

Neptune