PDA

View Full Version : Sea hares and cleaner shrimp

GreenSaltyOne
03/04/2014, 11:06 AM
Don't do it. Apparently that's what the LFS forgot to tell me when I got my sea hare. Cleaner shrimp will try to clean its butt, and rip its back open in the process, killing it. I haven't seen anything about cleaner shrimp and sea hares on the internet, so here it is now. Don't do it. Poor guy. RIP Ally. :thumbdown

R1ant04
03/04/2014, 11:20 AM
I've had both in tanks together before, never had any hares killed by cleaner shrimp, but have seen them picking a lil at the hares (attempted cleaning)and then they move on.....

Calappidae
03/04/2014, 11:59 AM
All the time this happens without understanding why..

"Cleaner" shrimp are going to clean any new rocks, anemones, corals, fish, anything new in the tank. Feed the shrimp before adding as this is normal behavior. They mean no harm just not properly introducing new addtions.

faithenfire
03/06/2014, 08:28 AM
I've had both in tanks together before, never had any hares killed by cleaner shrimp, but have seen them picking a lil at the hares (attempted cleaning)and then they move on.....

yup
now i've had a hare killed by a shell it ate and couldn't poop out. i've had one just straight up go MIA
but my cleaner and my trochus cleaned my last hare up and sent him on his way

Elysia
03/07/2014, 03:38 PM
You hadn't seen anything about cleaner shrimp and sea hares on the internet? Do you mean that when you started up your browser there was nothing on the first page warning you? Because I use to post in forums until my fingers were about to fall off about this hazard.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1882918&highlight=sea+hare+shrimp

Oh, and that is just one thread of the pages of threads that come up in that search.