PDA

View Full Version : How much times per week do you feed your corals?

Marco.Polo
03/04/2014, 12:45 PM
Hi!
I wonder how many times do you feed your corals?
What kind of food you use?

Do you turn off skimmers? if you do for how long?

Thanks alottt :)

Mael
03/04/2014, 12:56 PM
I am bad in several ways with this, I feed about 3x a week, sometimes 4(in smaller doses)(I have heard 2x a week is more than sufficient but they all send out their feelrs every night so I give in and feed)

I feed brine or mysis to the larger corals that can handle it like my candy canes, some shrooms and paly's and the maxi mini.

The zoas and acans get rotifer mixed with phyto/zooplankton, also the bigger of the 2 acans tries to grab shrimp and stuff it in its mouth too. I have one florida ricordea that has stuffed 4 mysis in its mouth at once before, he is a pig.

Other "bad" thing I do is not turn off the skimmer/filter so I am sure some of it gets sucked up through there, but it is the leftover usually as I spot feed with a turkey baster.

Fed last night, so probably again on Friday. I think I am also going to try and see if some of them will take the NLS pellets I have. My peppermint shrimp and emerald crab attack the end of the baster trying to get the food out of it, pretty funny to watch.

Marco.Polo
03/04/2014, 01:06 PM
Cool man,
Do you feed each coral or just drop the mix you have made to the tank:?

Mael
03/04/2014, 01:38 PM
a little of both, when Im lazy Ill just dump the cup of rotifer mix into the tank and let everything filter feed, some things like Zoas I will try to target with the roti since it is so tiny I try help it grab stuff.

When I do mysis or brine I target feed, and the fish/shrimp/crab gets anything the coral misses.

Since I am still at the beginning stages I dont have too many frags and they are all relatively small so target feeding is much easier for me than someone with an older tank full of corals.

cloak
03/04/2014, 02:40 PM
Hi!
I wonder how many times do you feed your corals?
What kind of food you use?

Do you turn off skimmers? if you do for how long?

Thanks alottt :)

I usually feed some of my LPS corals about once every 2 weeks or so. I'll usually use live black worms or NLS pellets, and I do turn everything but the lights off for about 10 minutes so that the corals can at least get it into their mouths. You don't want things to float away and end up going over the falls. That's no good.

pufferpoison
03/04/2014, 10:23 PM
I've been feeding my Duncan's about every third day and they are real pigs and are growing really fast for the short period I've had them.

Jerzey
03/04/2014, 10:46 PM
i been spot feeding 3 times a week my duncan, candy canes, favia, brain, and hamner a mix of oyster feast, brine/mysis, and ocassionally coral frenzy... i switched from dosing vodka (6 months) to biopellets about 3 months ago and been running my ATS for 3 months....ive seen a huge improvemet in growth from being able to get away with spot feeding like i've been and with carbon dosing and weekly WC's I'm still able to keep a ULNS...and feed nori 2 x day and 1 cube of frozen

Tahiti
03/05/2014, 06:11 AM
My LPS love flake food so I feed them that a couple times a week.

FWC
03/08/2014, 01:21 AM
On average 3x a week. Pellets and powdered fry food.

Reefer54
03/08/2014, 01:35 AM
2x or less a week. brine, reef frensy, a mixture i make with foods from the grocery store blended and frosen (shrimp, clam, squid, fish, mussels, garlic) adn i add phyto and a high protein pellet to the mix, let it all become a great big mushy mess and then freese it.
So 1 day is brine and pellet, the other is my mix and reef frensy.

duncans explode in growth when fed. so do mushrooms and eventually acans when they grow to a half baseball sise or so.