PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is picking on my Foxface!

KarlainKY
03/04/2014, 02:24 PM
Hey all! I'm new to joining this site but have beem reading on it for just about every question I have had and have gotten a lot of good information so I figured I would join and post about a problem I am having in hopes that you guys can help. I have a semi aggressive tank that all started off by being given a trigger fish who has now jumpped out of tank. Today, I look in the tank and my foxface has scratches all down his sides. They were not there yesterday. My sailfin tang has been chasing him around for quite some time but I don't see how it could scratching it up this much. However, when watching the tank just now I saw my Hawaiian banded hawkfish go after my foxfacewith a fury! I thought the foxface would hold its own but he just basically turns over sideways with the spikes out and lets the hawkfish attack him. These guys have been in the tank together for three months and only just now is this aggression happening. The only recent changes are I added a little coral (nothing thay stings) and I reduced the frequency of feeding bc I kept being told I was feeding too much. Evem though my fish were all eating it very quickly, nothing ever hit the ground. Do you think this could be because the hawkfish is getting older/bigger therefore more aggressive? Or would you think it would be more likely food aggression? *note the attack I just saw was at 3pm and I feed at 8am* or something else all together? Im totally surprised by how much of a wimp my foxface is. I guess I should also note I don't see him flashing so I dont think its the liverock.

joshky
03/04/2014, 04:12 PM
As long as there weren't any significant reasons you stopped feeding less, I would give that a go again and see if the aggression stops.

At this point it might be a good idea to QT the fish for recovery, and then when you put the fish back in, rearrange your rocks while the other fish are in buckets so territories get switched up.

Good luck!

Berje
03/04/2014, 04:19 PM
How big is the tank?
Yhe foxfaces's spikes are poisonous, so he is just using his defense mechanism in hopes of warding off the other fish.

Berje
03/04/2014, 04:20 PM
I would also feed them more, I feed my predator tank 2-3 times a day.

KarlainKY
03/05/2014, 11:42 AM
Can I safely net my foxface? I read somewhere that you can hurt them with a net. I have a new pair of clowns in my 10gal QT now that I am trying to pair before they go in the big tank (the 95gal corner). Do you think the foxface will harass them? I wish he would just stand up for himself hes the biggest in the tank and hes the nicest.

NTP66
03/05/2014, 11:52 AM
Can I safely net my foxface? I read somewhere that you can hurt them with a net.

Use either a plastic colander or fish trap to get him so that you don't have to worry about his spines getting caught in the net.