PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide Help

MSUschmidt
03/04/2014, 06:08 PM
I recently bought a 100 Gallon used to install in my basement wall, and was given a 48 Inch older Hamilton Technology Metal Halide and two bulb T12 system.

I know the T12 is old technology, BUT, I was given a case of the Super Actinic Bulbs, and heard this is one of the best "Blue" lights ever produced.

The Florescents work, but now I want to try and test / set up the Metal Halide. I don't want to drop 70 on a Bulb if it doesn't work

So, I'm willing to roll the dice on a 25 dollar bulb though.

I found this on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/250W-watt-12K-13K-15K-22K-Aquarium-Reef-Light-Metal-Halide-Mogul-SE-Bulb-/390398084820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5ae58a06d4

A, will this bulb work for my system. It's a M58 probe start

B, if it did work, if I kept it in, would it sustain a few anemones (mainly just a BTA for my clowns and a few Mushrooms

C, which color should I get if it will work since I have the Actinics already?

maddmaxx
03/04/2014, 06:17 PM
those bulbs have worked fine for me in the past. if it fires up, it can provide light for nems, clams, sps, etc etc.

as far as color goes. i would go with either 14k or 20k....14k along with super actinics is a nice crisp white/blue look...a 20k with super actinics will be much blue. but since these bulbs arent name brand. the colors are usually a lil less dramatic. so even the 20k bulbs wouldnt be crazy blue...so its your choice on color...

hope that helped...

MSUschmidt
03/04/2014, 06:27 PM
It did, it was exactly the answer I was after. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Appreciate it