PDA

View Full Version : Ai hydra. Heat issue

abhutta
03/04/2014, 09:22 PM
Excited. Set up my two AI Hydras. Looks great over my 55 gallon tanks. I cut out the two of my canopy and have the lights hanging inside. Two issues. The water temp has spiked. Looks to be around 82.6 vs 80.5 prior. I have the lights about 9 inches above the water line. Do I need to raise it higher? Also one of the hydras the fan hasn't kicked on. Should it run constantly?

chilwil84
03/04/2014, 09:33 PM
i believe they have a sensor that tells them when to run the fan

magnoliarichj
03/04/2014, 09:56 PM
pics!!!!!!

Mark Bianco
03/05/2014, 03:17 AM
Fans on the Hydra come on only when needed. Just curious as to what type of lights you were using before and how much of a temp spike you had before. Usually led's produce very little heat when compared to other lighting. You may need to vent your canopy...

abhutta
03/09/2014, 06:55 AM
thanks for the feedback. Previously I had just plain Coral life bulb also had an led strip for show really. The tank stayed at 79/80. Ironically I changed everything out and upgraded. I had an old mag pump that always seemed to run hot. Took that out and replaced with tunze. New AI hydras led as I mentioned. And suddenly my temp is at 82 to 84. I just added to aquarium fans to the hood one blowing in and one out. But i haven't seen a visible drop. the only other change is replacing my Koralia with a Jabeo wp25. I may have to remove the entire canopy but prefer not do so

abhutta
03/10/2014, 07:00 AM
Found the culprit. Sensor on heater was messed up.

mypepper
03/10/2014, 07:32 AM
I'm glad you found the problem before your heater caused a major catastrophe with your tank.

If you don't have a controller for your tank, you should really think of purchasing one for piece of mind and as a safety back up to trip your heater off, once it has reached a specific temperature or the sensor to your heater failed, which was in your case.

Randy