PDA

View Full Version : possible flatworm invasion

dmh41532
03/04/2014, 09:31 PM
I think I have flatworms, I'm not really sure. For the past two nights, these critters come out and cover the glass. They are very very small, my iphone 5 doesn't pick them up on the camera. They are brown and oval shaped, they move, but appear to move slow. Assuming they are flat worms, what would be the best treatment?

MARINECRITTERS
03/04/2014, 10:20 PM
There are many flatworm treatment products on the market that can work, a wrasse is also a hit or miss option.

To prevent this, use coral dips.

floydie83
03/04/2014, 10:48 PM
I have noticed that flatworms come and go in my tank. How old is your tank? I had them more when my current tank was about 3 mo. old. Are your nutrient levels high?

I have seen people use flatworm exit with mixed results due to the toxins dead flatworms release. In the past I would suck up some with a airline tubing siphon but gave up this eventually. Over time they died out.

+1 for coral dips

dmh41532
03/05/2014, 07:59 AM
it's been running for a few years. The last time I added a coral was about a 6 weeks ago. I need to test the water, the last time I test, nitrite was zero, ammonia, zero and nitrate was 5, im sure nutrients are high, this past week, 5 snails were killed by a hermit. A wrasse isn't an option, but I will try flatworm exit, get the nutrients under control and see what happens.

faithenfire
03/05/2014, 09:10 AM
i would use an airline tube and siphon out as many as possible before using FWE and if you do it in tank, also be ready to do a water change. this will help avoid any toxin spikes
actually, i haven't done any FWE, i just siphon before each waterchange. seems to help some
you may have to do a couple of treatments for it to work.