PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Container Placement

Garypharm
03/04/2014, 10:14 PM
I have a marine color dosing pump that I've been using for a few months now to dose ca and alk. The dosing containers were below the pump. Yesterday I switched the dosing containers to above the tank and next to the pump, and added a trace element container. This morning I found half the trace container empty and the line dripping. Could this be do to placement? I didn't think siphoning was any issue with these pumps and my lines are not submerged in the tank. Anyone ever have this problem? Any idea what caused it?

MARINECRITTERS
03/04/2014, 10:15 PM
I imagine it siphoned.

Garypharm
03/05/2014, 10:20 AM
I've moved my vessels up. As long as the feed line is below the line that drips into the tank I shouldn't get a siphon right? Or does the drip line into the tank need to be higher than the actually water level in the vessel?

JSimpson
03/05/2014, 04:17 PM
I've moved my vessels up. As long as the feed line is below the line that drips into the tank I shouldn't get a siphon right? Or does the drip line into the tank need to be higher than the actually water level in the vessel?

Yes, the output would have to be higher than the water level in the vessel to prevent siphoning, not the location of the feed line.

Garypharm
03/05/2014, 05:03 PM
I actually said that wrong. I moved the vessels lower. The feed tube is now lower than the output. But I guess I better move them lower or the output higher because the output is still below water level but higher than the feed line.