PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Levels on the Rise!

mluntz
03/05/2014, 08:50 AM
Yesterday I checked my water parameters:
SG-1.026
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-0
PH-8.1
Phosphate-.09
Alk-7.8
Calcium-443
Mag-1380

I changed my GFO in the reactor a couple of days ago. This morning I decided to check the water coming out of the reactor: 0 Phosphates. I again checked the tank water and phosphates have risen to .13. I have never had this issue before.

The only change that I can recall is that I have started adding some Omega One Marine Flakes to the food mix for some variety. I have read that some flake food can cause drastic rises in phosphate and I am concerned that this may be the issue. I only feed once per day.

I don't have a RODI unit, but I use distilled water, 0 TDS out of the jug. I don't have a sump or refugium, so adding macroalgae is not an alternative.

I am getting ready to do a water change today.

Hopefully someone can chime in with some thoughts.

saltyair
03/05/2014, 08:56 AM
only suggestion is stop using flakes and increase cuc do you use a protein skimmer?

mluntz
03/05/2014, 09:04 AM
only suggestion is stop using flakes and increase cuc do you use a protein skimmer?

Yes, I am using an Eshopps PSK-100H.

machote
03/05/2014, 11:53 AM
get an ats

Reefvet
03/05/2014, 12:31 PM
What phosphate test kit and how old is it ?

bertoni
03/05/2014, 02:46 PM
I'd probably take the Marine Flakes out of the food mix for a while, to see whether it's the issue. If so, you can work from there. A bit more GFO should help get the phosphate level back down. If the tank is doing well enough, you could ignore the phosphate level for the time being, though.

nicholasb
03/05/2014, 08:01 PM
You need to try and keep you po4 levels down below 0.03. I find a salifert kit is good. Flake food can contain alot of algae/seaweed, and so alot of phosphates. Hope nothing has died, pushing up your phasphates!!.