PDA

View Full Version : Tips Appreciated!

thirdstrike
03/05/2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks for looking into this with me!
I've been out of the hobby for about a decade.
I plan to set up a 29 gallon freshwater tank in my home office.
I'm planning on using angelfish and rams.
Some fun schrimp and a fiddler crab would be nice.
I was thinking fluorescent NO lighting about 90watt with 10kk
I'd also like to do sand for the bottom.
With those things in mind and the fact that I'm dealing with phx water
I was hoping for help from some of you!
Maybe something to keep an eye on filterwise
What water issues do I have being in phx, I do have a softwater system
and an RO. Would it be recommended to use that water?
Advice is appreciated! :headwally:

Dmorty217
03/05/2014, 12:23 PM
Your RO system depending on how many stages it is will make the water just fine for your tank. You may have to add DI to it

Shane C.
03/05/2014, 12:37 PM
Use your ro water. Stay away from phx tap water. Go check out Aquarium Arts Mesa. Decent store...

thirdstrike
03/05/2014, 02:19 PM
Di?

Dankrencisz
03/05/2014, 02:25 PM
Di?

Deionized.

thirdstrike
03/05/2014, 02:38 PM
filter/heater suggestions?

Shane C.
03/05/2014, 02:54 PM
filter/heater suggestions?

Canister filter (fluvals nice) and an ebo jager heater. Also, stay away from the fiddler crab and possibly the shrimp (depending on species). How are you planning on cycling the tank? Lots of rocks and caves for the rams and tall plants for the angels (which get large and really are best suited to a 55 gallon or larger). Also, you realize this is a site dedicated to saltwater enthusiasts right? Lol... I don't mind helping you, but long term fw help might be best found on a fw cichlid site.

thirdstrike
03/05/2014, 04:10 PM
Canister filter (fluvals nice) and an ebo jager heater. Also, stay away from the fiddler crab and possibly the shrimp (depending on species). How are you planning on cycling the tank? Lots of rocks and caves for the rams and tall plants for the angels (which get large and really are best suited to a 55 gallon or larger). Also, you realize this is a site dedicated to saltwater enthusiasts right? Lol... I don't mind helping you, but long term fw help might be best found on a fw cichlid site.

What's your reasoning on avoiding the shrimp/crab?
cycling the tank as far as filter?
it seems like a knowledgeable site, if you are pro-saltwater, then freshwater is novice and easy to advise ;)

Shane C.
03/05/2014, 05:09 PM
What's your reasoning on avoiding the shrimp/crab?
cycling the tank as far as filter?
it seems like a knowledgeable site, if you are pro-saltwater, then freshwater is novice and easy to advise ;)

Well I cant argue your observation about knowledge (I think we have bigger than average brains here at RC) it's kind of like a prius owner going on a ford truck site to ask questions about his/her car. : )

By cycle I mean your biological cycle that must be established in the tank. How do you plan on going about that? Using fish, filter media from an established tank, introducing a basic ammonia source??

If I remember right from many many moons ago, fiddler crabs need to be able to get out of the water. In addtion, if you are planning on keeping a pair of rams, crabs and some species of shrimp can cause undo stress on them once they begin to lay eggs.

Speed
03/05/2014, 08:52 PM
if you are pro-saltwater, then freshwater is novice and easy to advise ;)

sadly, this simply isn't the case.
while the folks here are generally extremely nice and super knowledgable you'd get much better answers on a dedicated FW site. unless of course you could be convinced to set that 29 gallon up as SW tank.

it's kind of like a prius owner going on a ford truck site to ask questions about his/her car. : )

this cracked me up! :lmao: