PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer Placment Location?

Zenttar
03/05/2014, 03:14 PM
Where is the best place to put the thermometer for the most accurate readings? Furthest place from the heater? Furthest place from the flow being pumped in, or just the opposite? Probability not that important but I'm just wondering.

ReeferAl
03/05/2014, 03:35 PM
I place mine in the chamber where water returning from the tank empties into the sump. That way I am accurately measuring temp of the tank, not the sump. Worst place would be downstream from the heaters.

mcgyvr
03/05/2014, 05:27 PM
It should be in the same tank as the heater... or in a location that guarantees that even if your return flow is stopped that it can't overheat the area..

unitedbga
03/06/2014, 12:11 AM
Put a thermometer and heater in every tank. Most people only put them in the sump because their ugly in the display. If the return pump dies while your on vacation so do all your fish and coral... Especially if their in an unfinished basement like mine are.

unitedbga
03/06/2014, 12:37 AM
Try not to have a single point of failure.

EllisJuan
03/06/2014, 03:03 AM
I have mine in my return chamber. Out of sight and has a continuous flow of water coming out of he DT.

Bpb
03/06/2014, 07:12 AM
I kept an undersized heater in my skimmer chamber for the longest time and my apex thermometer in the display stuck to the overflow box. Heater ran constantly and temps fluctuated from 76 to 81 daily. Got fed up, realized I don't have a TOTM photo shoot coming up, so what the heck, I put a massive 300 watt jäger heater horizontally along the back glass of the display, with power heads hitting it. It's not pretty but it improves my tank health and stability tremendously. Now my temperature fluctuates for, 80-80.5 throughout the day, margin of error aside. Even though it's ugly, I'll take tank health and stability any day over a hardware-less display.

Tank is 55 gal btw

unitedbga
03/08/2014, 03:08 AM
I kept an undersized heater in my skimmer chamber for the longest time and my apex thermometer in the display stuck to the overflow box. Heater ran constantly and temps fluctuated from 76 to 81 daily. Got fed up, realized I don't have a TOTM photo shoot coming up, so what the heck, I put a massive 300 watt jäger heater horizontally along the back glass of the display, with power heads hitting it. It's not pretty but it improves my tank health and stability tremendously. Now my temperature fluctuates for, 80-80.5 throughout the day, margin of error aside. Even though it's ugly, I'll take tank health and stability any day over a hardware-less display.

Tank is 55 gal btw

I hear ya. I have two 30 gallon refugiums and a 60 gallon display connected together. Each one has a 200 watt heater. The tempature is always dead on and if 1 failed the tanks would still survive. They are also connected to a controller.