PDA

View Full Version : Return pump ?

wegotcrabs
03/05/2014, 09:49 PM
I just bought a 250 gal deep deminsions tank. It has a dual overflow. I currently have a mag 9.5 and mag 12 foamy old tank. I need o buy a pump anyway for my water changing station. Do I buy a new mag 18 and T it off for the returns. Or do I use the pumps I already have and buy a new mag 9.5 for water changing?

wegotcrabs
03/06/2014, 06:19 AM
Bump

rfurst
03/07/2014, 01:35 PM
You can use two smaller pumps together if you want to. I did this on a 180g using two Mag12's and it worked fine plus then you have built-in redundancy. Depending on how your returns lines are plumbed you can just T the pump outputs together at some point prior to going into your tank.

Not sure what you mean by using a Mag18 and T it off for the returns. Whether you use one or two return pumps you'll want them to reside in the same chamber.

wegotcrabs
03/07/2014, 04:01 PM
Yes. Either way it will be in the same chamber. If I use a mag 18 I would plumb the return line to about the middle of the tank and than t off to each return. This way I can try and get the return flow as equal as possible. I like the idea of 2 smaller pumps but I wasn't sure what everyone else's thoughts were.

rfurst
03/08/2014, 09:51 AM
sounds like you have a couple viable options, just a matter of preference. either approach will work fine, but yes, using one pump like the Mag18 that you T into both returns will give you more even distribution that using two different pumps into two different return lines.