PDA

View Full Version : green and purple mantis ID

thelizardkin
03/06/2014, 02:55 AM
I just got this mantis shrimp today it's about 2"-2.5" and has a green tail and orange body anybody know what it might be?
http://imgur.com/7YJetVF

Fartin'Gary
03/06/2014, 08:17 AM
It's hard to tell from that pic. Looks like a spearer from how long it's raptoral appendages appear to be.

Kharn
03/06/2014, 08:19 AM
Nah no way it's a spearer looks like a Gonodactyloid...or Neogonodactyloid.

But beyond that I am stumped, strange looking coloration on the telson and surrounding areas.

Calappidae
03/06/2014, 09:04 AM
See if you can get a closer image.. Mural spots?

Gonodactylus
03/06/2014, 09:17 AM
It's "meral" spots and I bet they are orange or yellow. This is a species in the genus Gonodactylaceus. Looks like a molt partially failed creating the two toned effect.

Roy

thelizardkin
03/06/2014, 10:20 AM
It's hard to tell from that pic. Looks like a spearer from how long it's raptoral appendages appear to be.

Nope it's a smasher

thelizardkin
03/06/2014, 10:26 AM
See if you can get a closer image.. Mural spots?

I can try but it might be difficult now that the shrimp is in the tank but it's meral spots are orange

It's "meral" spots and I bet they are orange or yellow. This is a species in the genus Gonodactylaceus. Looks like a molt partially failed creating the two toned effect.

Roy

Are you sure it's gonodactylaceus? Wikipedia says there are 5 sub species in that group and none of them look anything like mine

thelizardkin
03/06/2014, 10:34 AM
I want to add that it's hammers from the front are purple with a different shade of purple spots

Gonodactylus
03/06/2014, 11:30 AM
Well, I guess Wikipedia knows best.

Roy

thelizardkin
03/06/2014, 11:31 AM
Well, I guess Wikipedia knows best.

Roy

Sorry I didn't mean it that way

Calappidae
03/06/2014, 12:18 PM
Sorry I didn't mean it that way

Wikipedia can be written by ANYONE.. why don't I just go on there now and edit the entire history of politics.. I could just like anyone, (but I'm not gonna..) wikipedia's accuracy rating is awful...

Dr. caldwell (roy) has been studing these creatures and knows the ins and outs of them. If it wasn't for him no one would even know half the basic info about stomatopods. Heck wikipedia says G. smithii's eyesight is one of the best when roy proved it isn't that great compared to others and even ours.

Roy before other sources. :reading:
https://ib.berkeley.edu/people/faculty/caldwellr

Gonodactylus
03/06/2014, 02:34 PM
There are five species in the genus Gonodactylaceus. All have five
mid-dorsal carinae on the telson. This is diagnostic of the group. If you
look at the photo, there are five mid-dorsal carinae. One of the five
species is G. randalli. It is rare, but all of the specimens I have seen
were red. It doesn't appear to be that. Three species have orange meral
spots, G. ternatensis, G. graphurus and G. glabrous. G. falcatus has a
yellow -green meral spot. If the meral spot is purple, I don't have clue
as to what it might be.

Roy

Islandoftiki
03/06/2014, 02:46 PM
I just got this mantis shrimp today it's about 2"-2.5" and has a green tail and orange body anybody know what it might be?
http://imgur.com/7YJetVF

Where did that come from? Somewhere local?

thelizardkin
03/06/2014, 03:23 PM
Where did that come from? Somewhere local?

Yep it was from the LFS

Islandoftiki
03/06/2014, 03:24 PM
Yep it was from the LFS

Which one? I'm in PDX, too.

Kharn
03/06/2014, 04:19 PM
Are you sure it's gonodactylaceus? Wikipedia says there are 5 sub species in that group and none of them look anything like mine

really....if your not going to take the info that the worlds leading researcher has to say well....

:deadhorse1:

thelizardkin
03/06/2014, 04:29 PM
Which one? I'm in PDX, too.

Upscales i got it yesterday

Islandoftiki
03/06/2014, 04:54 PM
Upscales i got it yesterday

That would have been my first guess. They seem to order them more often than other shops. Jeff at Cuttlefish and Corals has a G. Chiragra right now, but it's pretty reclusive. I think the right setup with a proper PVC burrow, it might be a little more interactive. It's a really pretty one.

Interesting find you have there. Let me know if you want to go grab a beer some time and talk stomatopods.

Islandoftiki
03/06/2014, 05:34 PM
really....if your not going to take the info that the worlds leading researcher has to say well....

:deadhorse1:

I guess a few of us got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Easy, bro. Give him credit for going out and researching unlike most people. All of the info we need to identify mantis shrimp is scattered around and largely incomplete. Find me a good article on mid-dorsal carinae.

Calappidae
03/06/2014, 11:20 PM
He's just not aware of who Dr. caldwell is. That's all.. if he knew all about roy then without a doubt he'd understand. When I first joined I was the same way not knowing this roy was the same as the one and only Dr. Caldwell.

Didn't read this through completely but this seems rather interesting to the topic: http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontributions/zoology/pdf_hi/SCTZ-0258.pdf

thelizardkin
03/07/2014, 04:02 PM
That would have been my first guess. They seem to order them more often than other shops. Jeff at Cuttlefish and Corals has a G. Chiragra right now, but it's pretty reclusive. I think the right setup with a proper PVC burrow, it might be a little more interactive. It's a really pretty one.

Interesting find you have there. Let me know if you want to go grab a beer some time and talk stomatopods.

Yeah I love upscales it's probably my favorite store in the area and that sounds awesome except for the beer part I'm not 21

Gonodactylus
03/07/2014, 04:18 PM
The Manning paper is the definitive description of the genus Gonodactylaceus.

Roy

Islandoftiki
03/07/2014, 05:24 PM
The Manning paper is the definitive description of the genus Gonodactylaceus.

Roy

Link? Is this available to the general public?

Calappidae
03/07/2014, 06:17 PM
Link? Is this available to the general public?

I just posted it in post #20

Islandoftiki
03/07/2014, 07:36 PM
I just posted it in post #20

Ah, I see that now that I've taken you off of ignore. Thanks!

Fartin'Gary
03/08/2014, 08:35 AM
Ah, I see that now that I've taken you off of ignore. Thanks!

:lol: