PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Serpent Star today

Pigpen17
03/06/2014, 09:27 AM
I ordered a Serpent from reef cleaners.com along with the Fuzzys, some penny micros and pods.

Anything I need to know about introducing it? The instructions from reef cleaners was to float the bag for temp and then add the star directly. I will do that, but any other advice or pointers on how to make this guy feel at home? I have never housed one before.

Pigpen17
03/06/2014, 12:15 PM
Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is the first life I will be introducing to my 56gal that was not from my old tank. I really want this to go well for us. (Me and the star).

Calappidae
03/06/2014, 12:34 PM
Float the bag, dim the lights.

I'm very stumped with the acclimation tho.. as soon as the bag is opened a sudden change in ph happens and ammonia grows more toxic making it more deadly to acclimate the animal.. but in an unhardy and ultra sensitive starfish it makes me wonder if this is an exception..

For everything else, when the water is opened just scoop some water into the bag, dump water out, scoop somemore, and just keep doing that until you think the bag is 100% your tank water.

The starfish will be happy to go hide in a cave or under a rock. Infact you may rarely ever see it except during feeding and maybe at night.

Pigpen17
03/06/2014, 12:45 PM
Yeah, the acclimation is weird. The reason they give us much like you say. Ammonia has been building in the bag, but the PH has been lowering to keep it in check. You float the bag unopened. When the bag is opened and you add your own water, the ammonia will become toxic, so just get it out of there right away.

Pigpen17
03/06/2014, 07:24 PM
Everything is in the tank. The fuzzy chitons are weird as heck. Like undersea roaches.

The star is super small. About 2". I was worried about him eating things, but now I am worried abouit my Emerald Crab getting a hold of him. I don't know why I was expecting it to be bigger.

Calappidae
03/06/2014, 07:49 PM
Everything is in the tank. The fuzzy chitons are weird as heck. Like undersea roaches.

The star is super small. About 2". I was worried about him eating things, but now I am worried abouit my Emerald Crab getting a hold of him. I don't know why I was expecting it to be bigger.

Lol, ikr.. something that small is going to be hard to keep alive from other predators.. I got a lettuce sea slug the other day for bryopsis.. he's as big as an amphipod! so now I got a floating container in my 125 til he gets bigger..