PDA

View Full Version : Red Tail Tamarin

SweetCoralline1
03/06/2014, 09:35 AM
My red tail Tamarin was doing fine in my 130 gallon reef tank for a few months...it is eating frozen foods and also grazing off the rock work, now it swims near the surface of the water and sometimes even tries to jump (it has gotten about 1/2 way out of the water)...anyone know what's going on? I am surprised that this is all of a sudden happening?? I did a water change and checked all parameters...everything is normal...

Anyone else kept one of these that has any ideas?

Thanks!

snorvich
03/06/2014, 09:56 AM
What other fish in this tank? How mature is the tank?

SweetCoralline1
03/06/2014, 10:09 AM
the tank is about a year old...I have a leopard wrasse, a green mandarin, 3 honey damsels, 2 clowns, and a pygmy cherub angel

SweetCoralline1
03/06/2014, 11:29 AM
bump. Please HELP...

snorvich
03/06/2014, 12:52 PM
the tank is about a year old...I have a leopard wrasse, a green mandarin, 3 honey damsels, 2 clowns, and a pygmy cherub angel

You have three copepod eaters, two of which are very competitive. It may be that you have depleted the food supply.

bobkill
03/06/2014, 03:06 PM
Yea sounds hungry- they also jump soooo he could just be bored

SweetCoralline1
03/06/2014, 03:50 PM
Both fish are eating frozen readily though?

snorvich
03/06/2014, 08:02 PM
Both fish are eating frozen readily though?

Probably. However some fish graze and once a day feeding is insufficient.

MIKE NY
03/07/2014, 09:36 AM
how big is it?...smaller ones need multiple feeding through out the day because they take smaller foods items..once large they can take whole PE mysis and larger foods...also check to see if its getting bullied especially by the damsels..

Marshall O
03/07/2014, 11:44 AM
Side note, but is your tank covered? I only question is you say it got halfway out of the water...

snorvich
03/07/2014, 04:11 PM
how big is it?...smaller ones need multiple feeding through out the day because they take smaller foods items..once large they can take whole PE mysis and larger foods...also check to see if its getting bullied especially by the damsels..

Yes, damsels could be intimidating it. Generally, anampses do best with peaceful tank mates.

Ralph ATL
03/08/2014, 11:53 PM
what are you feeding and how many times a day? high quality frozen like PE Mysis & Hikari Mysis along with Nutramar-Ova and adding a couple of Selcon drops per day....They should be fed 2-4 times a day...

and if you have aggressive fish with them, they will perish from that...They need peaceful tankmates in a highly oxygenated water with low phates and trates and 2-4 inches of sugar fine sand...

snorvich
03/09/2014, 10:25 AM
what are you feeding and how many times a day? high quality frozen like PE Mysis & Hikari Mysis along with Nutramar-Ova and adding a couple of Selcon drops per day....They should be fed 2-4 times a day...

and if you have aggressive fish with them, they will perish from that...They need peaceful tankmates in a highly oxygenated water with low phates and trates and 2-4 inches of sugar fine sand...

I agree. But in the right environment, they are terrific fish. In the wrong environment, it is only a matter of time.

bobkill
03/09/2014, 11:25 AM
We have a pair of yellow tails a pair of blue spot and a red tail (a leopard wrasses as well) and we feed 3-4 times a day depending on out human schudle - we have no pods , so must feed many times a day to keep the wrasses in shape

snorvich
03/09/2014, 01:17 PM
Yes, feeding frequently will solve the issue. I feed nutramar ova, PE mysis, frozen cyclopeeze. However some seem to like NLS pellets.