PDA

View Full Version : Kessil A360WE or A360N for 29” water depth?

All__talk
03/06/2014, 12:35 PM
I’m making plans for an upgrade to a 210G tank (72x24x30). I’m leaning toward tried and true 400W MH, with 3 over the tank and 2 or 4 80w T-5s for dawn to dusk.

BUT, I would love to save on the power, bulb and chiller costs and go LED if I can find an option I like. It’s not only the color/growth of the corals that concerns me but also the visual look of the tank. I know what I’ll get with MH and I know that I (and the corals) will like it, LEDs are unknown to me.

I’ve been doing some research and the only LEDs that appeal to me at this point are the Kessils. I want the single point shimmer and the ability to adjust both color and intensity from my APEX is a big plus.

My question is coverage, three of the A360WEs make sense with the surface area and bracing on a standard 210g tank, but I have read that they will not get me “clams on the sand bed” intensity through 29” of water. If I go with A360Ns I don’t know if three will cover and if I need 4 or 5, I’m not sure how I’m going to deal with placement around the bracing.

Your experience’s and advice?
Gary

machote
03/06/2014, 12:41 PM
if u want to keep sps go with the N version my humble noob opinion

ReefDoberman
03/06/2014, 01:05 PM
You want the wide angle, even at 30" deep but 3 will not be enough on that tank. You will need at least 5, ideally 6,

All__talk
03/06/2014, 02:23 PM
You want the wide angle, even at 30" deep but 3 will not be enough on that tank. You will need at least 5, ideally 6,

Wow 6, that's the highest recommendation I've seen yet. Assuming LEDs remove the need for a chiller, I could put the chiller money into more Kessils without a major change to the budget.

I expect that I would still run 2 or 4 80W T-5s with the Kessils, in that case would you still recommend 6 of them?

ReefDoberman
03/06/2014, 03:00 PM
Wow 6, that's the highest recommendation I've seen yet. Assuming LEDs remove the need for a chiller, I could put the chiller money into more Kessils without a major change to the budget.

I expect that I would still run 2 or 4 80W T-5s with the Kessils, in that case would you still recommend 6 of them?

If you are going to run the T5's then you wouldn't need all 6. But if you really want that MH look, I would say ditch the T5's and go with the 6 Kessils. If you did 3 a360WE and 3 used a350W's you could save some money also.

Your corals would probably do fine with 4 or 5 even without the T5's but you won't get that MH look.

RedStangGA
03/06/2014, 03:12 PM
Think about your rock scape. If you're going to have the SPS throughout the tank with one long rock structure than yes, 4-6 might be a good idea. If you're having islands though, put a couple N's over your predominantly SPS area and use single wides elsewhere. I'd start small and add as needed. No need to dump the chiller money straight into additional units that you may not need. Start with the A360We's and go from there. You might be pleasantly surprised! Another think to keep in mind is height off the water. Seems everyone recommends 8-10 inches. At that height I get significant spill OVER the rim of the aquarium. If I put it ~5 inches off the light hits the sides of my cube at an inch or two below the rim. If you need to punch down 29" I'd mount them pretty close to the water.

Keep in mind that the Kessil's reportedly look much dimmer than a 400w MH. I don't have experience with MH so I can't speak to the difference first hand. I've just read several posts from people who switched and thought the tank looked dimmer. Some of these people then bleached their corals by turning them lights up too much not realizing how much punch the kessil's had.

Have you contacted Kessil and asked them? They responded to my request within a day.

robert s b.
03/06/2014, 03:43 PM
Get 3 Kessil A360WE and call it a day and supplement with T5 or led strips. I have 3 A360w on my 300G DD and its plenty of light. running at 70% intensity and getting crazy growth.

Brian Crook
03/06/2014, 04:05 PM
I'm also setting up a new tank with the same dimensions. Pretty sure I'm going with 3 Kessil A360WE's and some stunner strips for moonlights / extra punch.

RedStangGA
03/06/2014, 04:19 PM
Get 3 Kessil A360WE and call it a day and supplement with T5 or led strips. I have 3 A360w on my 300G DD and its plenty of light. running at 70% intensity and getting crazy growth.

Hard to argue with that right there lol!

All__talk
03/07/2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks to everyone for the input.

IF I go LED I think starting with 3 wides and adding from there will be the smart plan.

I've got some time before I need to decide, I'm hoping to get a chance see the Kessils in person before I do.

Gary

bif24701
03/07/2014, 10:21 AM
I’m making plans for an upgrade to a 210G tank (72x24x30). I’m leaning toward tried and true 400W MH, with 3 over the tank and 2 or 4 80w T-5s for dawn to dusk.

BUT, I would love to save on the power, bulb and chiller costs and go LED if I can find an option I like. It’s not only the color/growth of the corals that concerns me but also the visual look of the tank. I know what I’ll get with MH and I know that I (and the corals) will like it, LEDs are unknown to me.

I’ve been doing some research and the only LEDs that appeal to me at this point are the Kessils. I want the single point shimmer and the ability to adjust both color and intensity from my APEX is a big plus.

My question is coverage, three of the A360WEs make sense with the surface area and bracing on a standard 210g tank, but I have read that they will not get me “clams on the sand bed” intensity through 29” of water. If I go with A360Ns I don’t know if three will cover and if I need 4 or 5, I’m not sure how I’m going to deal with placement around the bracing.

Your experience’s and advice?
Gary

Yes, you could install just 4 Kessil A360WE or A360N, however, if you get the narrow, you will need to mount them very high, as in 18" or so. My LFS has his 350N mounted 18" above water surface and has grown amazing SPS/LPS. 6 seems to be a lot. one A360WE will well cover an area of 24"x24"x30" deep.

bif24701
03/07/2014, 10:23 AM

Yup!

nickdo
03/07/2014, 11:33 AM
At least 6 kessils for sps. I'm using kessil a350w, it is a good fixture but its par is so weak compare to other led fixtures. u need to place 2 kessils close together as a group to penetrate light to the sand bed. and u need 4 group+ in 72 length, so that 8 will be good.

I recommend u do more research PAR on kessil compare to other LED fixture. it is a lot weaker than other.

Kessil use 74W to produce 169PAR in 30CM distance.
http://www.1023world.net/blog/kessil-a350-test

RedStangGA
03/07/2014, 12:56 PM
At least 6 kessils for sps. I'm using kessil a350w, it is a good fixture but its par is so weak compare to other led fixtures. u need to place 2 kessils close together as a group to penetrate light to the sand bed. and u need 4 group+ in 72 length, so that 8 will be good.

I recommend u do more research PAR on kessil compare to other LED fixture. it is a lot weaker than other.

Kessil use 74W to produce 169PAR in 30CM distance.
http://www.1023world.net/blog/kessil-a350-test

A note on PAR. I've read several people claim that Kessil's are low on PAR. I've also read counter claims that the reason is that PAR meters, or at least those hobbyists use, don't pick up the UV given off by Kessil lights. Also, that test was done using an A350W, not an A360W and certainly not an A360WE.

Finally, the claims that the Kessil's are weak on PAR go counter to many real world experiences as noted on these boards and others. Honestly, coming and saying he needs 8 lights because of one test with A350's when he's looking at A360WE's is an apples to oranges comparison. Especially when you have another poster saying he's using 3 on a 300DD and he's getting growth and color. And by the way, read that guys thread, I did. He's shown growth and good color.

The problem with saying x light can or can't grow SPS or have good color is that there are too many other variables. SPS color and growth is about far more than just light. I've seen too many people show growth and good color with the Kessil lights for me to believe that they aren't capable. And these are people following the recommendations from Kessil about 1 per 24" for W series and 1 per 18" for N series.

I think the poster's plan about buying 3 and going from there is perfect. If he finds he needs more punch down the road that's fine. It's always easier to add a little bit to supplement rather than spend 2x more on lights than was necessary.