PDA

View Full Version : eel dominant tank plan / advice request

mkoop
03/07/2014, 12:34 PM
Hello,

I am looking to start gathering information I need for the planning of my aggressive tank - planning eel dominant (meaning I am considering 2 large eels -- possibly zebra moray or Tessalata and somewhere along the lines of 6-10 garden eels). If I go with Tessalata it will be eel exclusive tank, if I go with zebra moray maybe one or two larger fish (this is the way I am leaning currently). I fully intend to go acrylic with a 4" viewing area under the 10" of substrate.
I will plumb 3" clear pvc into this viewing area for the main rock structure dens so the larger eels can be visible while in their dens, for enjoyment as well as inspection of any ailments.

I've ton quite a bit of research already but am looking for any eel keeping 'pro tips' from those of you out there who are experienced.

Lastly, one question I haven't been able to round up -- how important is tank length compared to volume? I plan on a 200+ custom with extra depth to account for the viewing area and 10 inches of substrate. I would prefer to have it built as a tall cube to help with some of the vertical requirements, but am not sure what best practices may be here.

Okay thanks in advance! Off I go to read more about DSB and how I am going to manage 10" of substrate (please leave any tips on this too!).

Cu455
03/07/2014, 02:50 PM
I am kind of picturing what you want to do but a quick sketch will help. I love my eels but they are pretty boring. Don't expect much activity. Second just because you put clear PVC in doesn't mean they will use it.

The tank will look great with a bunch of garden eels popping out. A under substrate view will be a great addition.

mkoop
03/07/2014, 03:25 PM
I am kind of picturing what you want to do but a quick sketch will help. I love my eels but they are pretty boring. Don't expect much activity. Second just because you put clear PVC in doesn't mean they will use it.

The tank will look great with a bunch of garden eels popping out. A under substrate view will be a great addition.

Sure, I'll get some diagrams uploaded to give a better imagine of my plan.

I understand most (and especially the zebra morays) are not overly active... I feel with the presence of the garden eels, the hopeful use of the clear pvc and maybe a trigger will give me plenty to look at. My goal wasn't really to shoot for an overly active tank, thinking about sticking to the zebra's over the Tessalata's though as they would offer me more options down the road I feel.