PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas on catching a fish that hides in rocks?

Nikita6711
03/07/2014, 01:14 PM
So this morning I woke up and saw my royal gramma covered in ich. It is fairly new and just came out of quarantine. Having just lost thousands of dollars of fish to ich, I am now freaking out and need to get him out of my nano ASAP. I have tried a DIY trap, the flashlight method, and even tried "smoking him out" by inserting a tube into the rock and blowing air while waiting with a net, no success. I do not have time to order a fish trap online and wait for it, and as luck would have it, the rock he calls home happens to be the rock at the base of my tank underneath all the other rocks. I really don't want to tear the tank apart but if I don't find another way to catch him than that's what I am going to do. On the bright side, at least this is happening in my 29 gallon nano and not one of my larger tanks, but still it is going to be a pain, and stress out all my fish... Any Ideas anyone?? HELP! Here is my tank setup and where the fish hides...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/kita123104/b85e766a-36be-4f75-9ccb-d540d028d45b.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/kita123104/media/b85e766a-36be-4f75-9ccb-d540d028d45b.jpg.html)

The structure is held together with plastic rods that run through holes I drilled in the rocks, which I thought would make it easier for things like this however it is impossible to fit them back together once they are taken apart...

scuzy
03/07/2014, 01:52 PM
Use ac fish trap I use the one from aqua medics

ca1ore
03/07/2014, 02:11 PM
I think it is the usual litany of options, sorry to say. By 'flashlight method' I assume you mean trying to grab it at night when presumably groggy? Trying to catch a particular fish is like trying to get a newborn to sleep at night: different things work in different cases!

Deinonych
03/07/2014, 03:34 PM
I think it is the usual litany of options, sorry to say. By 'flashlight method' I assume you mean trying to grab it at night when presumably groggy? Trying to catch a particular fish is like trying to get a newborn to sleep at night: different things work in different cases!

+1

Unforunately, there is no easy way. I've had good success with my Aqua Medic fish trap, but like ca1ore said, it depends on the fish. You may have to take apart your rockwork to get him out... :(

webslinger
04/15/2014, 01:17 PM
Use a #24 fish hook w/ a tiny piece of shrimp. I caught my chromis im 5 seconds. He is now happily living in a friends tank.