PDA

View Full Version : Why do snails have such a weird hobby ?

brandoniscool
03/07/2014, 01:25 PM
Hi my name is Virginia and I am in Brandon Rutherford 's third grade class . I am posting today to ask why snails sometimes crawl out of the tank and also crawl on the glass . I often see the snails crawling all over the glass and sometimes crawling out of the the tank . Sometimes they crawl out of the overflow box . Also, often when I am cleaning the algae of the tank with the razor or cleaning the glass of the tank they are in my way . Why do they do such weird things ? Also ,do they do anything important in the tank ? Thanks for viewing or replying to my post.

Sincerely,
Virginia

Allmost
03/07/2014, 01:30 PM
ever noticed patterns on the glass with less algae ?

the snail ate those while crawling on the glass :)

gone fishin
03/07/2014, 01:34 PM
Hi Virginia
They are on the glass because that is where some of the algae is they are eating. All they do is wander all over the place looking for food. sometimes they wander where we do not want them to go.

disc1
03/07/2014, 01:40 PM
Hi Virginia
They are on the glass because that is where some of the algae is they are eating. All they do is wander all over the place looking for food. sometimes they wander where we do not want them to go.

As it turns out snail aren't the smartest animals in the world. Most of the time they crawl out of the tank because they don't really know they're in a tank and they expect there to be more water just over the barrier. That's how it usually works for them in nature and they don't really know that there's no water outside the tank until they're out there and it's too late.

hkgar
03/07/2014, 02:03 PM
Did anyone paste and go to the web site in the OP's signiture block? Interesting and glad to see what this teacher is doing. Can you help them out?

http://mrrutherfordisawesome.weebly.com/reef-system

trinidiver
03/07/2014, 04:48 PM
Interesting site

brandoniscool
03/10/2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks so much for the reply's . All of them were really helpful . I have noticed the patterns of algae and they are SO cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not know that they eat algae . Also , I did not know that they really do not know what they are doing , That they are not very smart. I have also noticed before that they normally stick together in groups . Does anyone know why they do that ? Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely ,

Virginia

crock921
03/10/2014, 05:58 PM
Like everyone has said, the snails eat the algae that comes from all of the other fish. Think of them like garbage men! The ocean is one big circle of life, and every fish contributes their part in making sure it works. With no snails, there would be too much dirt and algae, but they also serve as food for other animals on the ocean! It only seems weird because they are in a tank, and not in the ocean.

ReeferKimberly
03/10/2014, 06:01 PM
Did anyone paste and go to the web site in the OP's signiture block? Interesting and glad to see what this teacher is doing. Can you help them out?

Oh how I wish I had some money. Mr. Rutherford IS cool and has a great sense of humor, "Dr. Evil Donation". lol.

brandoniscool
03/11/2014, 08:48 AM
Oh how I wish I had some money. Mr. Rutherford IS cool and has a great sense of humor, "Dr. Evil Donation". lol.

Hi everyone, This is Brandon Rutherford. Thanks so much for all of the interest in my student's project. Just answering my students questions in a patient and positive way is an awesome donation of your time and does make a difference in their lives. If you wanted to do more, please reach out to my donors and thank them too. Without their support, my project wouldn't be possible.

snorvich
03/11/2014, 11:00 AM

Yes, and I sent them a contribution.

snorvich
03/11/2014, 11:02 AM
And, periodically, I ask them a question to stimulate discussion.

Reeferz412
03/11/2014, 11:10 AM
That is quite a system you having going there. I had a grin the whole time scrolling through your website, seeing the kids helping you frag, test, and do routine maintenance on the tank. Truly wonderful what you are doing and enriching these little ones minds.

brandoniscool
03/12/2014, 02:24 PM
Interesting site

what does that mean

gone fishin
03/12/2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks so much for the reply's . All of them were really helpful . I have noticed the patterns of algae and they are SO cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not know that they eat algae . Also , I did not know that they really do not know what they are doing , That they are not very smart. I have also noticed before that they normally stick together in groups . Does anyone know why they do that ? Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely ,

Virginia

I can only make a guess, but they may have evolved to be in groups for safety in numbers. There are many things that like to eat snails so if they are in a group their chances for survival are greater.

Do you have a favorite snail?

Calappidae
03/12/2014, 04:58 PM

Sincerely ,

Virginia

Alot of animals will form "Bonded pairs" or "Shoals" for security reasons. Snails know better at whether they want to eat this or that but they just don't have the common sense and knowledge we own about what glass is and the outside world. Snails also are going to go where the food is. If a snail is on the glass.. then others may follow thinking that's where the algae is. It may also help them find mates and breed in secure numbers.

Picture it like the wolf and a herd of cattle.. the wolf (predator) is less likely to go after a huge herd of cattle (snails) if it is outnumbered. Although predator knows what is and isn't food.. they have no clue what exactly the prey has up it's sleeve either. A wolf doesn't want to jump in and risk the other cattle kicking or defending themselves.. however if one was alone it may atempt to jump after it. Another example is mantis shrimp.. seem harmless.. looks like easy prey for a hungry octopus.. and boom stabbed in the leg. Predators have to be cautious as well. A large number of snails only increases the odds of something bad happening in the predator's point of view whether they can really do anything or not.. and yes there are actually snails who can defend themselves.. one can kill humans (#conesnail) :)

crissie
03/12/2014, 05:02 PM
one can kill humans (#conesnail) :)

Every day is a school day! I didn't know about these!