PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer tinting

Vadafallon
03/08/2014, 07:52 AM
Anyone ever blacked out their skimmer using tint on the outside so that lights in the sump area do not make algae grow on the inside? Mine has been in my sump/refug for only a couple weeks and already has crap growing in it.

dkeller_nc
03/08/2014, 08:02 AM
You could certainly do this, but you'd want to test to see if the adhesive on the tinting will survive saltwater so that the film will stay in place. Some manufacturers use tinted acrylic for this very reason (Avast Marine is one example).

However, even with no light getting into the skimmer body, organisms will still grow on the inside, which is why one has to remove the skimmer, disassemble it and clean it out with vinegar once every couple of months or so.

If your skimmer is in a sump with a refugium, you might find it easier to just purchase a piece of opaque, black acrylic and place it against the sump's skimmer compartment dam.

cloak
03/08/2014, 12:02 PM
Anyone ever blacked out their skimmer using tint on the outside so that lights in the sump area do not make algae grow on the inside? Mine has been in my sump/refug for only a couple weeks and already has crap growing in it.

I would just leave it be until it's time to give the skimmer a good cleaning. I don't have any lights in my sump, but I'll usually go about 6 months before doing this. During this time though, the skimmer does take on it's own little ecosystem within it. It's kind of cool actually.

Vadafallon
03/14/2014, 02:47 PM
I have stuff growing in my skimmer and its only been 2 weeks.

snorvich
03/14/2014, 06:05 PM
I have stuff growing in my skimmer and its only been 2 weeks.

But it should wipe off easily when you clean it (weekly?)