PDA

View Full Version : Kole in QT

frog.pauley
03/08/2014, 09:50 AM
This is my first tang, acquired from DD. He is doin great, and I am felling pretty good about my QT right now. I know Qt feeding should be sparingly. This little guy at nori about an hour after I put him in QT. How often should I offer him nori? I tried flakes this morning he had no interest.

RayL
03/08/2014, 09:55 AM
I feed me kole nori twice a day. It's a healthy food for them, so if he's eating it, I would keep giving it

frog.pauley
03/08/2014, 10:02 AM
Twice a day in QT? He is a little guy 2, only around 2 /34". Will the nori cause excess ammonia like flakes or pellets?

DasCamel
03/08/2014, 12:24 PM
Twice a day in QT? He is a little guy 2, only around 2 /34". Will the nori cause excess ammonia like flakes or pellets?

Not as much, just take it out before it starts breaking down and making a mess. Funny I have a Kole in then QT, shy little bastard only,comes out when no ones around.

frog.pauley
03/08/2014, 02:08 PM
Mine hid for about the first 3-4 hours, now he is zooming around...think he is scrapping with his reflection...

HiImSean
03/08/2014, 02:29 PM
I've had a Kole in QT for 3weeks now and is still shy. If i sit and don't move he'll come out of the PVC but gets spooked when I come in the room. Im going to move him to the DT soon so hopefully he'll perk up in there.

frog.pauley
03/08/2014, 06:49 PM
I havent noticed mine goin in the pvc! lol He is moving around really like to be on one side or the other after his reflection.

Marshall O
03/08/2014, 09:12 PM
If you are not treating the QT with copper, or other non reef safe medicine, I highly recommend adding some live rock for it to pick at all day. It took mine a few weeks before it would consistently eat prepared foods in QT. I had plenty of live rock though. Now, it eats everything and anything.

nigeldcat
03/09/2014, 10:54 AM
My Kole has been out of QT for a couple years now, but when it was in QT he hid in the PVC pipes whenever I was in the room with QT tank. I had to peek around the corner to see if it would ever eat and then never much. As soon as he went to display tank it was like a switch was flipped and he ate as soon as food hit the water.

HiImSean
03/09/2014, 04:28 PM
I put mine in the acclamation box in the tank and seems to be less shy already. Not devouring nori like in the QT but I'm sure he'll come around. He's very curious of the other fish in the tank as they swim by.

frog.pauley
03/10/2014, 07:03 AM
Mine is around 2 3/4" and he will tear up a 2" square of nori twice a day....funny though as soon as you guys mentioned the pipe, now he darts in when i walk in the room.

frog.pauley
03/11/2014, 05:01 PM
He is still going strong. No signs of anything. He is hilarious in the pvc t! hahaha Eating good, looks to be in good spirits. Driving me nuts waiting for the tank to cycle for him.

HiImSean
03/11/2014, 05:26 PM
Mine just went into the DT out of the acclimation box tonight. I feel like this box is pointless. The other fish paid no attention to the tang but as soon as he was out all other fish were around him :angryfire: Oh well. He's cruising around picking at everything which is good. He did spook my flasher wrasse and seems quite interested in my melanurus wrasse, I'll have to keep an eye on that.

frog.pauley
03/14/2014, 12:52 PM
Mine is still in QT, still eating, still looking good. Hoping to get him in the display soon!

Deinonych
03/14/2014, 07:19 PM
How long are you planning to QT him?

frog.pauley
03/15/2014, 10:51 AM
He is from live aquaria DD. He will only be in qt till the tank cycles...which should be anyday. I purchased him after the ammonia dropped and nitrites spiked...that was a couple weeks ago and i still have nitrites throught the roof! yay! He has been in the qt tank for almost 2weeks now. Still eating and doin his thing. Hes a little guy but I still hate having him in a 10 gall tank right now.

frog.pauley
03/17/2014, 08:23 AM
So my Kole is eating nori from my hand now! Has no fear of me at all! Seems he has calmed considerably. Hes not fighting with his reflection anymore.

Deinonych
03/17/2014, 12:54 PM
IMO/IME 2 weeks is not long enough for QT, especially if you are not proactively treating for parasites.

frog.pauley
03/17/2014, 01:57 PM
Dont have any plans to take him out yet...