PDA

View Full Version : What type of Silicone and plumbing cement?

saltaddict89
03/08/2014, 04:21 PM
What kind of each do I use for the plumbing and for the silicon of my sump. Can I use plexie glass for the dividers or no?

sleepydoc
03/09/2014, 10:08 AM
A standard PVC solvent cement is fine. If you're just holding baffles in place, plain GE I silicone will work fine, for other stuff RTV 100 or 103 is generally better.

you can use acrylic (plexiglass) for dividers but be aware that it absorbs water and will expand, so make sure you cut it ⅛ ~ ¼" narrower than you need to allow for expansion. Silicone will not adhere long term to acrylic, but if you have a fillet on either side of the baffle, the fact that it adheres well to glass will keep the baffle wedged in place fine.

saltaddict89
03/09/2014, 10:53 AM
I ended up using glass and the ge silicon 1 and I holds water perfectly.

sleepydoc
03/09/2014, 02:25 PM
??? you asked your question yesterday at 4:20 PM and already have it done and filled with water at 11:53 today? You must have started before you finished asking the question

uncleof6
03/09/2014, 02:35 PM
A standard PVC solvent cement is fine. If you're just holding baffles in place, plain GE I silicone will work fine, for other stuff RTV 100 or 103 is generally better.

you can use acrylic (plexiglass) for dividers but be aware that it absorbs water and will expand, so make sure you cut it ⅛ ~ ¼" narrower than you need to allow for expansion. Silicone will not adhere long term to acrylic, but if you have a fillet on either side of the baffle, the fact that it adheres well to glass will keep the baffle wedged in place fine.

Good answer...

uncleof6
03/09/2014, 02:36 PM
??? you asked your question yesterday at 4:20 PM and already have it done and filled with water at 11:53 today? You must have started before you finished asking the question

I suspect many questions here are rehtorical in nature, or meant to see who shows up to get the sparks flying...

saltaddict89
03/09/2014, 02:38 PM
asked the question, did a lot of thorough reading and found an answer to the silicone but now I have to let it sit for abut a day or 2 b4 I add it to the tank system

uncleof6
03/09/2014, 02:42 PM
asked the question, did a lot of thorough reading and found an answer to the silicone but now I have to let it sit for abut a day or 2 b4 I add it to the tank system

No. Let it sit for a week at least, longer is better. You used more than an 1/8" bead. The label cure time is for a 1/8" bead, not the copious amounts used by hobbyist. It is in the "fine print" called the product data sheet, which no one bothers to read. Impatience is what kills tanks, not mysterious "anti-mildew" agents. This applies to both acetoxy (sillycone I) and neutral cure silicones (sillycone II.) Ya stopped reading, and started doing too soon.