PDA

View Full Version : Herbie on an overflow box

alf1096
03/08/2014, 08:54 PM
I got my first sump up and running today. I bought the equipment with silence in mine and it is. The only thing I can hear now is my eshopps 800 overflow. Would it be a dumb idea to put a valve on the drain to get a full siphon so I can have complete silence.

On one hand I see the down sides and it sounds dumb but on the other the u tube will get clogged long before the valve ever does. Another problem I see is it would probably need constant adjustment.

Thoughts

asudavew
03/08/2014, 09:04 PM
Drill that puppy.

alf1096
03/08/2014, 09:08 PM
Drill that puppy.

Not an option for now.

ca1ore
03/08/2014, 11:42 PM
HOB overflow and a valve restricted drain sounds like a recipe for disaster.

greech
03/08/2014, 11:51 PM
Im not sure why it would be any less safe than a standard hob overflow and it should work. Im surprised no one has built one yet. I use a hofer gurgle buster and it keeps mine pretty darn quiet.

alf1096
03/08/2014, 11:58 PM
I will try the hofer anyone have a link. Is it due to trying to push to much flow. I am using the jebao dc6000 on setting 1 or 2

greech
03/09/2014, 12:07 AM
Yes. Water is pulling air with it down the drain making the noise. The hofer will work. Just google it.

kmbyrnes
03/09/2014, 07:52 AM
If your overflow has only one drain ,a valve is not a good idea.
But if it has 2 drains then full siphon is the way to go.
I have an Eshopps PF1000 on my 100 and it is dead silent with a full siphon.

ca1ore
03/09/2014, 08:19 AM
Im not sure why it would be any less safe than a standard hob overflow and it should work. Im surprised no one has built one yet. I use a hofer gurgle buster and it keeps mine pretty darn quiet.

The way I read the OP was to constrict the drain out of the external part of the HOB box. Most HOB overflows have just a single drain and it is a VERY BAD IDEA to ever restrict a single drain with any kind of valve. That is why it would be less safe. Now, if one wanted to put a second drain into the HOB, and run the two drains as a herbie then, yes, that could work. I have not used a HOB overflow in many years, and would never run one again, but it seems to me as long as the top of the drain siphon is above the bottom of the overflow siphon tubes it could work.

alf1096
03/09/2014, 05:42 PM
Ok I tries the hofer and it was still to loud for me.

As of right now I think I am pretty safe from a flood. I put a valve on my only drain but the return section of my sump will go dry before an overflow. I know this means no ato but that is a small price to pay for silence. Am I missing something or is this a safe way to go.

I have also though of adding another bulkhead to the side as an emergency drain if I ever decide to add an ato.

Thoughts

SGT_York
03/09/2014, 06:21 PM
Not with that overflow. Two issues, first there is only one drain which means you won't have a way to even the flow, as there isn't enough space to make a herbie work without the second pipe, I doubt you could even get it working for 15 minutes without an overflow. Secondly, the ATO is irrelevant as if there is an overflow it will be in the external box and all over your floor, until your flooring and pump are destroyed.

First bit of advise is to get a better overflow. The 800 is way too small, and there is the cause of the noise. It's too loud simply because you are pushing too much water through. Upgrading will solve most of your noise issues.

However, drilling the tank is the preferred solution. It is also cheaper then upgrading an external overflow. Get a large bin and use it for a few days while you drill the tank.

Get a better understanding of a herbie because how you think of it in your mind as described above won't work. Your idea will only make matters worse. (sorry to be so blunt but it is coming from a good place of concern and trying to look out for your best interests)

alf1096
03/09/2014, 07:12 PM
I understand you trying to help me and did not take it was rude.

The siphon and water level has not budged in the box for the last 5 hrs so don't know if it's a coincidence or not.

What do you think about adding an emergence drain by drilling another bulkhead on the side of the overflow.

alf1096
03/09/2014, 09:29 PM
Would a dual pipe overflow box. Work with a herbie.