PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer placemant in Sump

n240sxle91
03/08/2014, 09:29 PM
In my last build we used a 100 gallon stock tank for the sump. In the stock tank we placed a Rubbermaid container that was raised up, and this housed the protein skimmer. All the return water first dumped into the Rubbermaid container, and from there it would flow into the stock tank. We did this to maintain a constant water level for the ASM G-5 protein skimmer.

I am now setting up a new build. I am still using a 100 gallon stock tank, and the ASM G-5 protein skimmer. Here's the question, do I really need a separate container for the skimmer? I will be using an Apex to control everything in the aquarium, so my thought is that I can just have the Apex delay the skimmer after feeds, power outages, or any other time the main pumps are turned off. By delaying the skimmer the water level should always be at the right level when the skimmer does turn on. Of course I'll have auto top off as well.

Am I missing something, or can I just skip the extra container for the skimmer?

Thanks for your input!

rfurst
03/08/2014, 10:41 PM
One of the advantages of having the skimmer in a chamber that is separated from the return pump is to reduce the amount of bubbles that might return to the display. having the water from the skimmer section, which is usually where the drains empty into which also creates bubbles, , is that water is forced over a lip where bubbles can dissipate. So strictly speaking, no, you don't need the skimmer sectioned off. But it does have advantages.

I am not sure what your concern is regarding the water level being high when the skimmer turns on. If it turns on when the water in the chamber is high it is not going to hurt anything. It ill just not be effective until the water level lowers to the ideal level a few seconds later.

n240sxle91
03/08/2014, 11:04 PM
Good point on the bubbles. If I decide to go this route I guess I would put nylon filter socks on my returns, as well as the skimmer output. That should reduce bubbles.

As far as high water level, it was my understanding that if the skimmer started with the water level too high it could overflow the skimmer. This could potentially pour skimmate back into the aquarium. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

aquaman024
03/09/2014, 06:56 AM
You are correct on the skim mate going back into the aquarium if the level gets too high. However, if this is a problem that you see occurring easily, you can drill a hole in your collection cup and have it exit with final tubing into a drain or separate jug.

n240sxle91
03/09/2014, 07:31 AM
True, but I had another idea. I could use a float switch at a higher level. If the float switch is triggered the Apex will turn off the skimmer. Is there any other reasons why I shouldn't put the skimmer directly into the sump? If not, doing it this way will simplify things!

swcc
03/09/2014, 09:35 AM
An ato does not keep a constan level the way a seperate chamber does... The water decreases then the a to turns on and fills it back up. It is not a large variable, but one none the less.

n240sxle91
03/09/2014, 09:52 AM
Do you think that small variable would make any difference to the skimmer?

billy mitchell
04/25/2014, 02:59 AM
need info on skimmer
so I can get the right height could I have an alloy frame under the skimmer

n240sxle91
04/25/2014, 07:52 AM
Billy,
I'm not sure exactly what your asking. However, I don't think you want to put an alloy frame under the skimmer if it's in the water. I would use plastic type materials to raise the skimmer to the correct height.

WestTexasReefer
04/25/2014, 02:16 PM
I have an Apex with the break out box attached to float switches. One as a low sump and one as a high sump and have my Apex programmed to shut down my skimmer and return pumps if water gets too low and shut down my skimmer if water gets too high so it won't over flow. I also have an alarm set up for both conditions to email me if either event happens.

n240sxle91
04/25/2014, 02:51 PM
That's exactly what I have now too! Man, how did we survive in the past without computers like the Apex?!

billy mitchell
04/25/2014, 09:24 PM
thanks for your reply...so I can get the right height I have placed an alloy frame under the skimmer to lift the skimmer 1.5" ...would placing alloy in water affect parameters or would there be corrosion with the alloy reaction to salt

n240sxle91
04/25/2014, 09:57 PM
I would be afraid that you would get a reaction. You could build it out of titanium, but other than that I'm not sure what other alloys you could use. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.