PDA

View Full Version : How addicted are you...

cugly
03/09/2014, 02:28 AM
Curious to how addicted are you to keeping saltwater tanks..ill start.

Anytime anywhere we go on vacay or just going to another state. the first thing I try to find out is where is the lfs

or im always trying to figure out what can I do to make my tank look better..

What about you

kmbyrnes
03/09/2014, 08:24 AM
We went to Dallas in December so my wife could have surgery. We hit 3 LFS.
We just went to Vegas this week. There are 9 listed LFS in Metro Vegas,we hit 8.
2 Separate trips yesterday to Phoenix stores.
Always reading about or looking for my next coral/nem.
Skimping on groceries so there is more money for coral.

Do I have a problem??

johnike
03/09/2014, 08:26 AM
Ever drive by a nice house and think "Where would I put the big tank"?

cugly
03/09/2014, 10:55 AM
We just went to Vegas this week. There are 9 listed LFS in Metro Vegas,we hit 8.

Do I have a problem??
lol I think ived been to all of them in Vegas...she actually allowed u to go wven if she had surgery lol i wouldve done same thing...

Ever drive by a nice house and think "Where would I put the big tank"?

lol I tell my wife all the time when we get another house built I will build the house around the tank..

gone fishin
03/09/2014, 11:47 AM
When we moved a couple years, I nixed quite a few houses until I found the one I could have the fish room and another room behind for mixing station and equipment. We had a few interesting discussions with the realtor LOL.

kmbyrnes
03/16/2014, 06:08 AM
cugly, she went with me to 2 of them.
She had outpatient surgery on her back ( successful ) and the docs said walking would be good.

droth335
03/16/2014, 06:33 AM
One of the considerations when we moved last year (for both of us) was "where will the tanks go?". We actually ruled out 2 houses because there wasn't a good spot for them.

Cbsailor11
03/16/2014, 06:39 AM
Looking at colleges for my daughter, I'm looking for LFS near the campuses so I have something to do on parents weekends.

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 06:42 AM
Curious to how addicted are you to keeping saltwater tanks..ill start.

Anytime anywhere we go on vacay or just going to another state. the first thing I try to find out is where is the lfs

or im always trying to figure out what can I do to make my tank look better..

What about you

You said what I was going to say :D o well great minds think alike ;-)

Tahiti
03/16/2014, 06:59 AM
This hobby is like a drug lol.

Always looking for ways to improve my setup.

sanababit
03/16/2014, 08:06 AM
Well at first all i could think about was this hobby, it was my mistress, now the misstress has gotten old and its not important to me anymore, lol, but every once in a while i get the urged to go visit her, man i need therapy

Sana

desjardinii
03/16/2014, 08:33 AM
I'm not allowed to have any more saltwater tanks but recently got permission from the mrs to get our pet turtle a bigger home so he's getting a 120g with corner overflow, Durso standpipe and a 40g sump.

kakalakasha
03/16/2014, 02:54 PM
Got rid of my final fish tank for awhile about 6 months ago. In college now and really don't have the funds or time to set one up any time soon and I don't plan on getting one until after graduating (3-6 years depending on how much schooling I wanna go through). But, I lurk on reefcentral and read about peoples issues and achievements for fun... I pretty much live vicariously through everyone on this website :bum:

phillrodrigo
03/16/2014, 05:59 PM
Thats the best part of these smart phones. Go on the maps and search for fish stores that are near were you are. This hobby is one of the only ones that you will let random people in your house. How many reefers have you never met till the day they came to buy frags

Fish_King_25
03/16/2014, 06:41 PM
Thats the best part of these smart phones. Go on the maps and search for fish stores that are near were you are. This hobby is one of the only ones that you will let random people in your house. How many reefers have you never met till the day they came to buy frags

So true...random reefer gave me his address and told me he'd frag me rasta zoas, I showed up, and got a nice frag when I arrived!

Metazoer
03/16/2014, 07:04 PM
I'm not allowed to have any more saltwater tanks but recently got permission from the mrs to get our pet turtle a bigger home so he's getting a 120g with corner overflow, Durso standpipe and a 40g sump.

Love it.

Make sure to regularly check the calcium levels for his, um, shell! Yeah that's it.

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 07:11 PM

I might just have figured out a way to get a bigger tank. Buy a fish that needs a 200gal when fully grown put it in my 60 and then when it gets bigger I'll plead my case :-) and by then everyone will be to attached to the fish to get rid of it;-) its fool proof. Am I good or am I good :cool:

Bennett67
03/16/2014, 07:21 PM
I took out a loan to build a 40g breeder because I couldn't handle my nano. I'm already looking for new builds and tanks. This is why it's hard to focus in college lol

Peter Eichler
03/16/2014, 07:24 PM
I've been a part of the hobby non-stop since I was about 10. Multiple tanks for all but a couple out of the last 30 years.

Jone
03/16/2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Everyone,,My name is Jone and I am here because I have an addiction... lololol

Reefahholic
03/16/2014, 08:59 PM
Love it.

Make sure to regularly check the calcium levels for his, um, shell! Yeah that's it.

A turtle with reef set up..lol

That is so funny!

:beer:

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 10:11 PM
Hi Everyone,,My name is Jone and I am here because I have an addiction... lololol

Hehe:D
I'm here because I also have addition to tanks, its been one minute, six seconds and five milliseconds since I looked at my tank.....Ahh...must...not. ..look.. at..tank! !!
Too late I looked at my tank...noooo. why does the tank have to be right next to the couch, why, why I ask you?. I'm doomed as where ever I look there's a tank.. ..there closing in on me noooooo...you won't take me Alive tanks.
^sorry about that guys, it can be very lonely when you keep fish tanks:-). As you just read my imagination ran a riot in my head then:p I'm doomed for ever.......Hahahahahahah:D

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 10:14 PM
Hehe:D
I'm here because I also have addition to tanks, its been one minute, six seconds and five milliseconds since I looked at my tank.....Ahh...must...not. ..look.. at..tank! !!
Too late I looked at my tank...noooo. why does the tank have to be right next to the couch, why, why I ask you?. I'm doomed as where ever I look there's a tank.. ..there closing in on me noooooo...you won't take me Alive tanks.
^sorry about that guys, it can be very lonely when you keep fish tanks:-). As you just read my imagination ran a riot in my head then:p I'm doomed for ever.......Hahahahahahah:D

Fishy 1 you are bonkas;-) Hahahahahahah

SS_Sean
03/16/2014, 10:43 PM
We bought six tanks within a 2 month period when we jumped into the hobby.
We first bought a 60g tank, then a 10g tank, then a 30g, then a 20g and finally (for now) a 170g + 50g sump. I kid you not.

Granted, we have been kicking this around for a year or so.

desjardinii
03/16/2014, 10:48 PM
Love it.

Yes will do but I havn't quite made up my mind yet whether to dose kalk or use a ca reactor?

MrCaveman
03/16/2014, 11:03 PM
I will be moving out at the end of summer next year into my first home with a roomate or two (transfering colleges) and the first requirement on choosing a place is a good size "show room" just for animals to house a new 240 gallon reef, my 5 snakes and their enclosures and my roommates planted tanks lol. And just started my first day of work at my LFS today too!

slowflow
03/16/2014, 11:04 PM
Every time I go out of town, I google fish stores, and their hours. To make sure I can check them out

MMacro
03/17/2014, 12:59 AM
Im only 13 and im addicted to the extent that I do more research about fish and reef tanks rather than on my homework. Seriously, I love this hobby and the community is amazing.

Decadence
03/17/2014, 03:17 AM
Vacations?... You guys must not be THAT addicted.. I mean, come on.. What if the power goes out and the battery backups die and the auto-generator doesn't kick on and you don't know what's going on because you aren't getting text/e-mail alerts and the web cam doesn't have power????????? WHAT THEN!?!?..... I'm going to call out of work tomorrow now.:uhoh2:

arron209
03/17/2014, 03:58 AM
Addicted enough to reply to this thread at almost 3am :lol:

Fishy 1
03/17/2014, 04:17 AM
Vacations?... You guys must not be THAT addicted.. I mean, come on.. What if the power goes out and the battery backups die and the auto-generator doesn't kick on and you don't know what's going on because you aren't getting text/e-mail alerts and the web cam doesn't have power????????? WHAT THEN!?!?..... I'm going to call out of work tomorrow now.:uhoh2:

To be honest, I don't take vacations very often for that reason and unless I have a capable house sitter I don't think I would go, besides going on holidays is money I could spend on my tanks ;-)

jerrcarlson
03/17/2014, 07:57 PM
Haha!!! This is funny stuff :-) I think what makes it funny is that we can all relate! :-)

ReeferBill
03/17/2014, 08:11 PM
Ah nature is amazing! I say better off addicted to this than something that's bad for us.

0coool
03/17/2014, 08:25 PM
I spent 4 years of my life getting a B.S. in Fisheries Biology. Fast forward 3 years and I haven't yet figured out how to make any money with it though... :beer:

Greatreefer
03/17/2014, 08:27 PM
given a scale of 1-10 my friends and family rate me at a 1000. However, I just look at them and say "I'm not that bad." When in reality I'm worse.
I mean come on everyone has dreams at night right? Except mine involve swimming in reef tanks that I own.
LOL!

Stackemdeep
03/17/2014, 09:27 PM
Wife told me to get a job, I said, "Honey I have one, I'm working on the tank".

tonymission
03/17/2014, 09:34 PM

Omgosh I just read that aloud (and well, I think! lol) to my wife and we are rolling! Sounds like us!! Haha

cnreef
03/17/2014, 09:51 PM
Currently counting down the days until I move out of my apartment and buy a house so I can upgrade my 29g tank to something much bigger like a 75 or a 125. Ohhh the excitement of buying new toys for an upgrade! :)

Fishy 1
03/18/2014, 01:11 AM
Ah nature is amazing! I say better off addicted to this than something that's bad for us.

I second that :D

Fishy 1
03/18/2014, 01:12 AM
Haha!!! This is funny stuff :-) I think what makes it funny is that we can all relate! :-)

So very true :lol:

Fishy 1
03/18/2014, 01:14 AM
given a scale of 1-10 my friends and family rate me at a 1000. However, I just look at them and say "I'm not that bad." When in reality I'm worse.
I mean come on everyone has dreams at night right? Except mine involve swimming in reef tanks that I own.
LOL!

Me too and I dreamed the other day that I owned a million gallon reef tank...it was sick:D I never wanted that dream to end.

Fishy 1
03/18/2014, 01:17 AM
Currently counting down the days until I move out of my apartment and buy a house so I can upgrade my 29g tank to something much bigger like a 75 or a 125. Ohhh the excitement of buying new toys for an upgrade! :)

Don't waste your time on small tanks like that... simply waterproof one of the rooms in the house add a massive window and then fill it, only way too go :p

Nina51
03/18/2014, 04:17 AM
i started with a 14g biocube. yeah, that'll work, big enough for a couple of small fish but not terribly expensive to maintain. within a couple of months, i added a 29g. oh yeah, much more room, better lights, i could delve into keeping some corals. now, just over a year later, i'm getting ready to set up a 75g.

in my defense...my great danes are both seniors, they sleep most of the time. my pot bellied pigs, well, there's just so much you can do with them and they aren't exactly "pretty" to watch.

imma gonna stop at 75g. i think. :o

johnike
03/18/2014, 04:59 AM
i started with a 14g biocube. yeah, that'll work, big enough for a couple of small fish but not terribly expensive to maintain. within a couple of months, i added a 29g. oh yeah, much more room, better lights, i could delve into keeping some corals. now, just over a year later, i'm getting ready to set up a 75g.

in my defense...my great danes are both seniors, they sleep most of the time. my pot bellied pigs, well, there's just so much you can do with them and they aren't exactly "pretty" to watch.

imma gonna stop at 75g. i think. :o

Go big or go home.
;)
:)

Nina, can't wait to come down and help with the new tank!
:beer:

Nina51
03/18/2014, 06:34 AM
can't wait to get you here, john!!! getting excited! melissa (fussoverthis) is donating half a bucket of reef crystals, richard will bring it with him. happy that cas will be joining us for the funz. is he riding with you?

johnike
03/18/2014, 08:05 AM
Most likely if he can leave Friday and return Sunday.

ravi197699
03/18/2014, 08:38 AM
Well I started with 10 gals jumped to 30 then 75 bow front that to 120 gal and now I cut the wall and built a plywood tank that is 230 gal with 2 75 gal sump and 50 gal frag tank... I am trying to convince my wife to move to Florida in future but she knows why I am saying that......lol

Force4000
03/18/2014, 09:11 AM
I'm so addicted I can't get off this site even at work :/.

Fishy 1
03/19/2014, 05:20 AM
Go big or go home.
;)
:)

It's the only way forward :P

Fishy 1
03/19/2014, 05:23 AM
I'm so addicted I can't get off this site even at work :/.

What does the boss think of that.. .just say you are researching supplies for his future tank;-)

jerrcarlson
03/19/2014, 07:25 AM
Within a year I went from a 29 nano added a 75 then a 90 then 220 :-)! Now I am helping my daughter set up an aggressive 75 and having an 80 frag tank built! At this rate I'm going to run out of room :-)

MorgueMD
03/19/2014, 03:01 PM
So addicted, I'm considering putting a 500 gallon custom tank in our "vanity guest bathroom." (as in place of the bathroom) It'd be perfect with views from the kitchen, foyer, office and main hallway ...... right honey? ......

Fishy 1
03/22/2014, 01:35 AM
So addicted, I'm considering putting a 500 gallon custom tank in our "vanity guest bathroom." (as in place of the bathroom) It'd be perfect with views from the kitchen, foyer, office and main hallway ...... right honey? ......

Go for it:-)

EllisJuan
03/22/2014, 02:07 AM
Well, I am on RC at 4am...

lesterism
03/22/2014, 02:20 AM
Well, I am on RC at 4am...

It's even more interesting than the other renowned social medias.

Had my first tank 4 months ago, and here I am, having 3 tanks, 2fts and 1ft! What have I got myself into!!!! But ya, no regrets.

cugly
03/22/2014, 05:35 PM

lol...what vacation. ..

cugly
03/22/2014, 05:37 PM
Lol...I knew I wasn't alone..

Ya I gave up smoking and drinking so my wife dont mind my new addition

cugly
03/22/2014, 05:39 PM
Like all the responses gonna have to start a support group. ..lol

Joel_155
03/22/2014, 08:17 PM
I'm hopelessly addicted to this hobby. At least 50% of my daily musings are about my tank.

Fishy 1
03/22/2014, 09:17 PM
It's even more interesting than the other renowned social medias.

Had my first tank 4 months ago, and here I am, having 3 tanks, 2fts and 1ft! What have I got myself into!!!! But ya, no regrets.

Sorry to tell you this, but there is no cure for this addition ( getting a new tank seems to help ;-) ) welcome to the club.

ca1ore
03/22/2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I think its a hobby that touches all of the OCD hot buttons. Lots of cool gear, someone always has a bigger/better tank, twitchy animals, skating on the thin edge of disaster .... what's not to get obsessed over. Trouble is it also has a high burn out rate.

Fishy 1
03/22/2014, 09:20 PM
Like all the responses gonna have to start a support group. ..lol

A confession and counseling group. I need that desperately, Hahahahahahah ;-)

Fishy 1
03/22/2014, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I think its a hobby that touches all of the OCD hot buttons. Lots of cool gear, someone always has a bigger/better tank, twitchy animals, skating on the thin edge of disaster .... what's not to get obsessed over. Trouble is it also has a high burn out rate.

It called extreme fish keeping and I love it:-) what's not to love about mixing large amounts of electricity and saltwater.:thumbup:

jimmy n
03/22/2014, 10:20 PM
Not as impressive... but, turned my entrance coat closet into an in wall tank and my wife was happy that was all I ruined.

lesterism
03/23/2014, 12:34 AM
Not as impressive... but, turned my entrance coat closet into an in wall tank and my wife was happy that was all I ruined.

My wife was making noise that the fish I'm looking at is of the same price of her bag. Guess it's really up to individual interests. Haha

Joel_155
03/23/2014, 08:19 AM
When we moved a couple years, I nixed quite a few houses until I found the one I could have the fish room and another room behind for mixing station and equipment. We had a few interesting discussions with the realtor LOL.

Totally the situation I'm in. We are ( hopefully) buying a house next year and I want a fish room behind the tank.

Fishy 1
03/27/2014, 12:19 AM
Totally the situation I'm in. We are ( hopefully) buying a house next year and I want a fish room behind the tank.

Cool, what size tank are you getting?

Joel_155
03/27/2014, 08:36 AM
180....48x36x24. Also want a large remote fuge around 60 to 80 gallons. I want this build to be done right. I've always been a little impatient when setting up tanks as I'm excited to get it up and running. It's just two months later you think "I wish I would have done....". This build I want to make sure it's done right.

MiracleFish
03/27/2014, 11:15 AM
So addicted I cant leave the hobby as much as I really want to.

If I could sell someone my setup, I'd be out in a heartbeat. Im too young (19/y) to be in this expensive hobby. Its really awesome and interesting to learn about, but I need to save my money for sure for other things!

JohnniG
03/27/2014, 11:55 AM

Do I have a problem??

Love this! :)

I don't have money for new clothes, because I use it for fish and corals.

Fishy 1
03/28/2014, 05:37 AM
Love this! :)

I don't have money for new clothes, because I use it for fish and corals.

No need for clothes if you have banana leaves....but if that's not your style just put your birthday suit on.....hahahahaha ;)

Fishy 1
03/28/2014, 05:38 AM
180....48x36x24. Also want a large remote fuge around 60 to 80 gallons. I want this build to be done right. I've always been a little impatient when setting up tanks as I'm excited to get it up and running. It's just two months later you think "I wish I would have done....". This build I want to make sure it's done right.

Awsome. Make sure you do a build thread on it, id love to follow it for sure :)

gardy
03/28/2014, 05:53 AM
just starting out, bought my 6 year old a 16 gallon for a clown and not 2 months later im buying a 93 cube, best part is, the wife bought it for me! i wasnt going to buy it until summerish, but they LFS had it in stock and she had more money in her account. she also claims i have an addictive personality, hence the 10s of thousounds of dollors i have in camera gear alone, not to mention the yard that gets touched up with shears to get any stray strands the mower missed, or maybe thats ocd? or maybe i need more hobbys (or tanks) to take up my time?

origreefer
03/28/2014, 12:53 PM

Do I have a problem??

haha, got that beat, planned my Europe trip to only cities that had Elos Studios. "Hello, my name is Bob and I'm a ...."

Also, strangely I like using the hypodermic that comes in test kits.