PDA

View Full Version : Magnificat foxface?

rogergolf66
03/09/2014, 08:41 AM
Looking for all and any info on this fish. Articles, personal experience what every u can tell me. I'm thinking about finally makeing the purchase of one next week. This is one of my favorite fish.

I'm looking to put it in a 120 gal sps dom tank. It has some chalices, large clam, candy cains, hammer, frog spawn, but mostly sps coral. No zoa and pally.

The tank currently has 4-5 lyrtail anthius, a purple tang and a regal tang, pair clowns, and a cardinal fish. I'm not worried about bio load. I have a second 120 attached to this setup that has almost no fish that houses all my zoa and paly. Bio load can handle the new guy.

Any info would be great.

Roger

snorvich
03/09/2014, 09:14 AM
Excellent fish. They are reef safe if and only if well fed. So my recommendation would be to add only to a mature tank or have nori constantly available.

MBC2012
03/09/2014, 09:18 AM
Excellent fish. They are reef safe if and only if well fed. So my recommendation would be to add only to a mature tank or have nori constantly available.

+1 or use the New Era Marine Grazers

rogergolf66
03/09/2014, 09:18 AM

Ok this is an established tank. 2 years old now. It is Also is on an auto feeder 4 times a day because of the anthius, but what if not well feed. What will they do? Looking to Learn all I can about this fish.

Thx
Roger

Spork3245
03/09/2014, 10:00 AM
If not well fed they will eat corals, make sure you hang seaweed for them. Also, I'm fairly certain they require a 6 foot long tank as they get fairly large.

WestTexasReefer
03/09/2014, 11:05 AM
I have had one for a couple of years. Great fish but they can be a bit skittish. Mine loves nori so I put in a clip each day for him and my tangs. Mine eats pellets and frozen or just about anything I throw in the tank. Gets along with all other fish and doesn't touch the corals. When working in the tank be aware where they are because if startled they bolt and you could accidentally get stung. I have screen tops on my tank because of my wrasses but had the tops off doing routine maintenance and he got startled and jumped out of the tank. Of course, behind the tank in the worse possible place to get to him. I was able to get him in a net and back in the tank after a few minutes and he made it but just goes to show that any fish can and will jump.

rogergolf66
03/09/2014, 11:37 AM
Thx for info. Yes I have screens on my tank also same reason have had a trigger jump out in the past :( didn't make it either.

Did it keep its great color? I have heard of it nipping at soft coral but was wondering if they ever get a taste for SPS ?