PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest in a Service That Pings your Controller to Report Power Outage/Emergency

Paradiddle7
03/09/2014, 03:36 PM
After selling my house and built in tank, I'm back up with just a small Nuvo 16 because my 1.5 year old is outright addicted, and he's got it bad. He's spending about 2 hours a day in front of the tank.

Anyways, I wrote an Android app to control my AQT but if I want notifications, I will have to make sure a computer is running 24/7 pinging my AQT and that does me no good if the power goes out.

Anyways, my idea is to lease a virtual server somewhere in the cloud and have it ping my AQT. I can log the params, and send me an email or text message, but more importantly if my controller does not respond, it will notify me of that, which most likely means I have a power outage (not uncommon for where I live in Western NY, especially in winter).

I would even be able to consume an API and generate a phone call to one or multiple phone numbers, which is a lot more likely to get noticed compared to an email or even an SMS.

The only restriction here is the cost, it will cose money to host the server and consume a telephone service to make the phone calls.

If people would be willing to chip in, I would think about making it available to everyone. At this point, I'm not sure that more than 10 people even have an Aquatronica anymore. Trust me, this will be a huge losing endeavour financially, as I can probably make more money by contracting for 1-2 hours, so this is not a ploy to make money, just distribute the costs.

Bui
03/09/2014, 09:51 PM
cheaper solution is to have your phone ping home. if it cant, it can email u and make some sort of sound on the phoneAfter selling my house and built in tank, I'm back up with just a small Nuvo 16 because my 1.5 year old is outright addicted, and he's got it bad. He's spending about 2 hours a day in front of the tank.

Anyways, I wrote an Android app to control my AQT but if I want notifications, I will have to make sure a computer is running 24/7 pinging my AQT and that does me no good if the power goes out.

Anyways, my idea is to lease a virtual server somewhere in the cloud and have it ping my AQT. I can log the params, and send me an email or text message, but more importantly if my controller does not respond, it will notify me of that, which most likely means I have a power outage (not uncommon for where I live in Western NY, especially in winter).

I would even be able to consume an API and generate a phone call to one or multiple phone numbers, which is a lot more likely to get noticed compared to an email or even an SMS.

The only restriction here is the cost, it will cose money to host the server and consume a telephone service to make the phone calls.

If people would be willing to chip in, I would think about making it available to everyone. At this point, I'm not sure that more than 10 people even have an Aquatronica anymore. Trust me, this will be a huge losing endeavour financially, as I can probably make more money by contracting for 1-2 hours, so this is not a ploy to make money, just distribute the costs.

Paradiddle7
03/10/2014, 07:45 AM
Good idea, but highly unreliable. Maybe in 5-10 years if they can get batteries lasting days and there is guaranteed up time and absolute 100% coverage. With Murphy's law, your power will go out and your tank will die when you battery on your phone goes, dead, or when you send your phone in for warranty replacement and you don't have it for 2 days etc...

nickjj
03/11/2014, 10:54 AM
I'm assuming you are using the Ethernet module on your AQT so that the app you created can get information from your AQT. The Ethernet module can send regular status emails on a regular interval every hour, daily at a set time and also when an alarm condition is met . I've used that in the past when I was travelling to make sure my AQT, parameters and general connectivity are working. If you don't get an email there is a problem somewhere that needs to be checked.

Funny thing is the new touch controller which has the basic functionality of the Ethernet module does not have the status message function in the current release of software. A huge oversight which I hope it gets put back in.

Paradiddle7
03/19/2014, 08:50 AM
That's a good idea if you are only using it on vacation and you can choose to have a heightened state of awareness. We all know that humans will ignore spam, so it's not a good full time solution.

I guess I will be the only one using this service.

nickjj
03/19/2014, 11:06 AM
There are many free website monitoring services that you could use. For example Uptime Robot, Pingdom, Interseer etc which I did find from a web search.

They can email or sms you in the event of downtime or loss of communication.

Paradiddle7
03/19/2014, 11:18 AM
I'm assuming those just ping the webserver/host and can't do anything intelligent. I could write it to monitor sensors over periods of time to avoid false alarms (like temporary density changes in sump after ATO) etc...

The main benefit of my system is that it will actually place a voice call to you every 15 minutes until you disarm the system.

If I have the time, I'll just write it and see what happens. It seems like we only have about 50 people using AT controllers in the states, sad really.

If I didn't use my dosing pump (2nd one, first one broke), I would jump ship easily and will when my second dosing pump breaks. I just setup a new tank and updated to the latest AT software and it blue screens my laptop when I connect. That's the only laptop I have running windows, so now I have that bad taste in my mouth too.