PDA

View Full Version : Question to Mag drive owners...

Odysi
03/09/2014, 04:45 PM
Just hooked up my Mag 5 and im wondering if something is wrong with it or are Mag drive normally so loud????

smande00
03/09/2014, 05:55 PM
Mine hums fairly audibly, but it's more white noise than anything if you ask me. I did have to play with positioning it in the sump to keep the vibrations from shaking the plumbing though as that did get pretty loud.

Flyguysc
03/09/2014, 06:00 PM
I have a 950 and its quit as a church mouse. I did set it on a rubber mat in my sump like the ones you use to open jar lids with. Not a peep smooth .

Odysi
03/09/2014, 06:15 PM
I guess maybe i got a bad one cause my mag 5 if very loud... Seems likes all impeller noise to me but im not sure.

Flyguysc
03/09/2014, 06:22 PM
See if there is debris in the impeller housing. Clean it and the impeller. yes no maybe so.

Odysi
03/09/2014, 06:46 PM
i checked that already but this is the second time i turned it on. The first time was to mix some water up last week for my water change. I guess maybe ill have to send it back and see what happens with a replacement.

canyousee
03/09/2014, 09:23 PM
My Mag 5 was loud,too loud for the house DT. I started using it only to mix new SW and water changes.

Crooked Reef
03/09/2014, 10:24 PM
In my experience the smaller mag drives 5 and below are loud and the 9 and above are more quiet. 7 can go either way but is somewhere in the middle of the range. I have no idea why this is. Maybe the bigger pumps weight?

kurt_n
03/10/2014, 09:28 AM
I ran a Mag3 for quite a while and they'd start out quiet. But over time, they'd eventually get noisier then heck. I *think* what happens - or at least did with mine - is that over time, the rubber/elastomer bushings on the ends of the impeller shrink. When they shrink, they don't fit snug in the pump housing or intake cover anymore, which causes the impeller to be imbalanced and make a rattling sound.

I bought new impellers, but found that the size of that bushing varied quite a bit between the same model impellers. Some of them fit snug (and ran quiet), others were loose (and ran noisy).

One time I hot glued the impeller bushings into the housing, which takes up whatever clearance is there. The pump quieted down immediatley. Of course, after a couple months, the hot glue had worked its way out and the pump started rattling again.

I eventually solved the problem by switching to a Sicce pump. :thumbsup: