PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with an overflowing skimmer

Riglin
03/10/2014, 04:17 PM
I've never seen this trick posted, so I figured I'd mention.

When something gets into the water column that makes the skimmer "go crazy" you can simply put something across the top of the skimmer. It will pop the bubbles and allow the offending substance to collect a much thicker foam.

Anything will do, I usually place a syringe there. Just lay it on top, right across the foam.

blackgate
03/11/2014, 03:58 AM
This is an interesting idea. Ever since I added my magnifica anemone back last September I have been dealing with chronic massive overflows. They happen once every 2 weeks or so and I have never had this problem before until I added that nem. I know it doesn't make any sense at all, but I REALLY have to be careful where I set my water levels now. This has happened on two different skimmers both are high end so I am unsure what to do now. I keep my water level too low now in my reef octopus so that I don't overflow it all the time, but I am going to give this trick a try and see if it works. Thanks!

Reefahholic
03/11/2014, 06:53 AM
Or you can simply hook up a float switch, call it skimmer high and program it with your apex like I did. Never an overflow. Period...

sniceley
03/11/2014, 08:11 AM
Yet another reason for massive sumps and in sump skimmers. I have occasional skimmer freakouts on clients tanks and this always saves me. The one exception is a clients 6000 gallon with an auto cleaning Bermuda Aquatics skimmer. It is a great skimmer that produces well consistently and keeps a heavy bioload with ease. When adding biopellets to the reactor though I always get a skimmer freakout a few days later. I figure it is because of the population explosion of denitrifying bacteria but at the moment no electronic control of the skimmer level when I am not at the tank. Justin is adding that feature soon however so that will help keep those issues to a minimum.