PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii snorkel video

NatureNerd
03/10/2014, 09:28 PM
I'm going back to the Big Island of Hawaii so I thought I would dig out last year's short video. I hope to do better this time but I am pleased at the way I captured the Hawaiian marine life. Please remember this trip was all snorkling (no diving) so making videos is a bit more of a challenge.

Hope you like it:

cybMPro0abg

Video doesn't seem to play correctly. All smooth motion is now jerky and compression errors are real prevalent. I will try to figure out why. It plays better when you set resolution to 720p HD. Use the setting control (small gear) to 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cybMPro0abg

NatureNerd
03/10/2014, 09:34 PM
If you follow the youtube link, set resolution to 720p before viewing. Otherwise there are weird compression artifacts for the first 20 seconds or so

rcmike
03/10/2014, 09:43 PM
Awesome video! Would love to do that sometime.

NatureNerd
03/10/2014, 09:57 PM
Awesome video! Would love to do that sometime.

Thanks. I feel so lucky to have the chance to swim with wild dolphins and huge Manta Rays. They are amazing.

triggerfish55
03/26/2014, 11:25 AM
amazing video, i was at the big island last summer, beautiful place. the wildlife at two step and kahaluu was phenomenal
what camera are you using?

NatureNerd
03/26/2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words Triggerfish. Two Step is one of my favorite places in the whole world. I will be going back next week. I am very excited.

This video was shot with a Canon S100 and the Canon housing. Next week I will try using my new Sony Nex-5R. I am not sure there will be much difference except for the night videos with Mantas. My real limitation is my ability to get deep and hold still while shooting. I just can't seem to hold my breath that long. I may have to start using Scuba for these short films.