PDA

View Full Version : Something is covering my zoas

Kaman8
03/11/2014, 11:28 AM
Something is covering my zoas and it makes my zoas not opening. Please help

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/kamanchoi/IMG_4356_zps7c232a00.jpg

thegrun
03/11/2014, 12:40 PM
Could you describe the properties of whatever you think is covering them? I don't see anything in the pictures other than them being closed up.

Aaaron
03/11/2014, 12:53 PM
Look fine to me

mikew351
03/11/2014, 12:58 PM
Looks like an algee or something is coating the base of the zoas. Maybe that is what is irritating them enough to keep them closed. I've not seen it before. But I just started on zoas. If it's the red/purple stuff it's prolly algee.

danil
03/11/2014, 01:01 PM
It could be zoa pox. Google for pictures and check them out.

Kaman8
03/11/2014, 01:02 PM
Could you describe the properties of whatever you think is covering them? I don't see anything in the pictures other than them being closed up.

Something white is covering it.

FullBoreReefer
03/11/2014, 01:05 PM
The white dots makes me think zoa pox

Kaman8
03/11/2014, 01:05 PM
It could be zoa pox. Google for pictures and check them out.

I just googled about zoa pox and it looks exactly like that. What can I do?

Sugar Magnolia
03/11/2014, 01:07 PM
Have a look here - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632970

danil
03/11/2014, 01:11 PM
In my case I just throw them out since that thing is very resistant to treatment and few small colony I've tried to medicate survived but never start growing again. The treatment is any anti-bacterial med you can get your hands on. Dip the colony few times and hope for the best.

Kaman8
03/11/2014, 01:34 PM
In my case I just throw them out since that thing is very resistant to treatment and few small colony I've tried to medicate survived but never start growing again. The treatment is any anti-bacterial med you can get your hands on. Dip the colony few times and hope for the best.

This was my first zoa and don't have any experience with it. I bought it like this and it was cheap. I should never trust that LFS . I bought a fish before by them and the fish was dead in the bag when I just arrived home. It was just 30 min drive from them. I will never go back to this LFS :( Will it hurt my order corals? Will it affect my water? I think I will throw it out. Do I need to change water?

danil
03/11/2014, 02:18 PM
I guess you are right about this LFS. I would do the same if I had such experience. With all other questions of yours I can only share my results. Not all of my zoa were effected. I would say 1 out of three show sing of a disease. Few had (still have actually) signs (white dots etc) but otherwise were fine. Few melted away rather quickly and rest of them were treated and became looking really weak and unhealthy. They never fully recover and I gave up on them. So based on this I would say the thing could spread to other colonies if conditions are in it's favor. If environment is great for zoa they could overcome this and keep growing. With less then good environment they are get infected and became sick. I wouldn't do any extra WC just to 'treat' your colony but if you need to do this to improve your overall water quality It's a good idea. Also you can play around with flow and lights to find best condition for your zoa to fight the disease.

Kaman8
03/11/2014, 02:25 PM
I guess you are right about this LFS. I would do the same if I had such experience. With all other questions of yours I can only share my results. Not all of my zoa were effected. I would say 1 out of three show sing of a disease. Few had (still have actually) signs (white dots etc) but otherwise were fine. Few melted away rather quickly and rest of them were treated and became looking really weak and unhealthy. They never fully recover and I gave up on them. So based on this I would say the thing could spread to other colonies if conditions are in it's favor. If environment is great for zoa they could overcome this and keep growing. With less then good environment they are get infected and became sick. I wouldn't do any extra WC just to 'treat' your colony but if you need to do this to improve your water quality It's a good idea. Also you can play around with flow and lights to find best condition for your zoa to fight the disease.

I am planning to take it out of the tank and throw it away. Luckily we have a lot of LFS around here. We have a street that called "fish street" .

tkeracer619
03/11/2014, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately tossing them is the right thing to do in this case.

Kaman8
03/11/2014, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately tossing them is the right thing to do in this case.

Should I do a wc after I took it out? Or this desease will not affect my water ?

tkeracer619
03/11/2014, 02:41 PM
You're fine. No need to interrupt your water change cycle.

If there is anything you should take away from this is that fish are not the only thing that should be quarantined. Awesome that you have a good selection of fish stores.

Any fish store is susceptible to these sorts of things. If you get it or not depends on how long they had the coral. If the place is busy they might get orders more then once a week and if that is the case it might have only been there a day or two. I have had entire shipments of zoas die from this stuff. A lot of times its what I believe to be a bacteria and often seems to be caused by something dying underneath the zoanthids such as a sponge.

Kaman8
03/11/2014, 02:52 PM
You're fine. No need to interrupt your water change cycle.

If there is anything you should take away from this is that fish are not the only thing that should be quarantined. Awesome that you have a good selection of fish stores.

Any fish store is susceptible to these sorts of things. If you get it or not depends on how long they had the coral. If the place is busy they might get orders more then once a week and if that is the case it might have only been there a day or two. I have had entire shipments of zoas die from this stuff. A lot of times its what I believe to be a bacteria and often seems to be caused by something dying underneath the zoanthids such as a sponge.

I don't have a quarantine for the fishes. Today I saw 1 of my fish pooping white poop. That fish had nip at the sick zoas 2 or 3 times.