PDA

View Full Version : 29g Biocube from craigslist...good buy?

crock921
03/11/2014, 02:44 PM
Here is a link to my thread from the newbie boards. Thought I may get a little more action over here. Any help would be great!

Basically, things to look out for, general price, and immediate upgrade needs.
Someone suggested a return pump and a korlia 240, so I would probably do those two right away along with using the biocube skimmer until it dies or fails.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388976

I wish i discovered the nano boards earlier! :headwally:

Bennett67
03/18/2014, 12:04 AM
I'd go with $200 not a bad deal just be patient with the cycling and don't overstock

FishWrangler
03/18/2014, 04:29 AM
The price is so-so for an older model BC29 w/ stand and I'm assuming the lights will need to be replaced soon. Did they say how old the bulbs are?

Now throw in some LR and it could be a great deal. I spent more on LR than I spent on the new biocube. If you can get 20-30 lbs of LR and dicker them down to $200 then I'd say go for it.

Before heading over there ask them to fill it with water so you can check for leaks. Also, look carefully for scratches in the glass.

Good luck....

terrypercula
03/18/2014, 06:11 AM
The price is so-so for an older model BC29 w/ stand and I'm assuming the lights will need to be replaced soon. Did they say how old the bulbs are?

Now throw in some LR and it could be a great deal. I spent more on LR than I spent on the new biocube. If you can get 20-30 lbs of LR and dicker them down to $200 then I'd say go for it.

Before heading over there ask them to fill it with water so you can check for leaks. Also, look carefully for scratches in the glass.

Good luck....

+1 ask age of bulbs and to fill with water. It looks freshly taken down by the coraline on the back ha. I agree I would not go much higher than $200. $250 isn't horrible if it's in great shape with new bulbs though. Doesn't look like it comes with that much rock judging by the picture so if they are vsluung that to high yell them to keep the rock and knock some money off. Check that stand too. They seem fairly flimsy brand new let alone 4 years old.

crock921
03/18/2014, 06:31 AM
I decided to pass on it all together. I found a store selling new ones for 235, and I built a stand for about $30 that could withstand a moose on it.

This way everything is brand new, and if there are issues, coralife will hopefully cover them under warranty

terrypercula
03/18/2014, 07:07 AM
I decided to pass on it all together. I found a store selling new ones for 235, and I built a stand for about $30 that could withstand a moose on it.

This way everything is brand new, and if there are issues, coralife will hopefully cover them under warranty

There ya go :thumbsup: