PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock

Sgt Jonny Cat
03/12/2014, 07:47 AM
Hello all, i need to add some more live rock to my 55 gallon tank. I'm just starting the initial cycle, there are no fish in it, eventually I plan on growing coral and I have 2 questions:

is it ok to add live rock even though I out the initial live rock in a week ago? and, is there a web site that I can trust to order cycled live rock from? Where do you all order from?

Thanks

crock921
03/12/2014, 08:05 AM
Lots of people buy their dry live rock from brs (bulk reef supply). if you search around, you will find all sorts of online places that people like to buy live rock from.

As far as adding it to your tank, yes you can. Since your tank is cycling with no coral, inverts, or fish, there is nothing you can hurt or kill off in there. It will just have an impact on your levels as you go through the process.

DocHogan
03/12/2014, 09:05 AM
I would also add that if your looking to raise corals in that tank get good quality live rock. It would be nice if there was a shop near you so you could hand pick your rock. Lighter rock gives more area for bacteria and critters to live on.

benjc
03/12/2014, 09:22 AM
If you already put live rock in your tank, using a quaried dry rock (ex. Marco Rock) would be a less expensive option. Lots if people like the pukani rock from bulk reef supply, but I believe it has a lot of dead stuff on it that will leach phosphates into your tank for some time if you don't cook it first. If you want more biological diversity (and potentially more pests) you can add live rock mid-cycle without messing anything up.

Mael
03/12/2014, 09:33 AM
If it is an option I second trying to get it from a LFS, I did this, just brought a 5gal bucket with me, loaded 20lbs of nice live rock and covered it in saltwater from the store and then added it when I got home. I didnt see a second cycle from this as the rock was never out fo water for more than a few seconds.

OUtside of LFS, there are a few good web sites to get live rock from, just depends on what your looking for. LA has a decent selection of live rock.