PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish and Reef Tanks

fish maniac
03/12/2014, 12:15 PM
I have a 150 gallon reef tank with multiple types of corals (SPS, LPS, and Softies). I also have a few sponges that have been growing for awhile and are getting unruly. I used to have a FOWLR setup and one of my favorite fish is the flame angel. I have seen them in a good deal of reef pictures on this forum.

Can I get some feedback on the advantages/disadvantages of angels in a reef tank?

SpartyOn
03/12/2014, 01:33 PM
it all depends on the fish but i have had flame angle in one of my reef tanks for 3 years and he has never touched a coral and have a coral beauty and it hs been fine with corals in my other reef tank

fish maniac
03/12/2014, 07:24 PM
Seriously........ One post! I am pretty new to the hobby and try to get some valuable information, but people on this forum are not very helpful........ Thanks for the response Sparty, I guess you are the exception.

albano
03/12/2014, 07:31 PM
I have 12 angels in my 450g DT mixed reef...been thinking to remove some tangs, to have room to add more angels!
Have had Flames in every tank (reef or not) since 1973...IMO a must have fish...presently there are 4 FA and they don't bother any of the corals...and I've never had a problem with them, BUT, that is still no guarantee!

Fish_King_25
03/12/2014, 07:33 PM
Your post has been up for a couple of hours..some of the threads on here have been alive for years...the forum has a search function I'd have to guess has hundreds (probably thousands) of threads on your topic. You could do some research to get some insight quicker if thats what youre looking for..

D_ivan24
03/12/2014, 07:42 PM
I have a flame Angel n coral beauty and never had any trouble with them. Just keep them well fed

Aaaron
03/12/2014, 08:05 PM
I have a Flame and Bi Color in my 90 with zero issues

hogfanreefer
03/12/2014, 08:26 PM
Not a flame but my flame back was an acan/duncan assasin!

Peter Eichler
03/12/2014, 08:49 PM
Seriously........ One post! I am pretty new to the hobby and try to get some valuable information, but people on this forum are not very helpful........ Thanks for the response Sparty, I guess you are the exception.

This has been covered ad nauseum on these forums, so a quick search would yield a ton of information.

The short and the sweet of it is, no matter what anyone says about their particular angel being reef safe, you're taking a risk with any angel fish outside of a Genicanthus sp. Every angel I've ever had for more than a year or two has picked at corals. Some took a few years before they picked, but it eventually happened. Fleshy LPS and brain type corals are typically the first targets.

kmbyrnes
03/13/2014, 06:55 AM
Agree with Peter. The forums are full of past experience. Use it to your advantage and make your own decision.
I have a flame and a coral beauty in my 110. After 3 months, so far so good. But I realize that can change any time.
If it does, I guess what corals they decide to snack on will determine if they stay or go!