PDA

View Full Version : Ethical coral pruning

71Percent
03/12/2014, 12:22 PM
I'm relatively new to keeping corals. I have some maintenance coming up and am looking for ideas on how to handle coral that is trimmed and removed from the tank. I will be pruning some GSP and Leather coral soon. It has grown too big (surprise) to frag and raise/give away all the excess parts. I feel bad about just throwing it away as it is a living creature. What is the most ethical way to get rid of it? Freeze it like a problem snail before getting rid of it?

ItzJustinN
03/12/2014, 12:59 PM
Take it to lfs and trade it for credit. U might not get very much for basic stuff like leathers but its better and more ethical than throwing it away!

guidedbyechoes
03/16/2014, 11:40 AM
You can sell some on here if you are willing to ship.

hogfanreefer
03/16/2014, 03:25 PM
If you have a local reef club, join it. Lots of new reefers that might love to have your hardy, tank raised coral frags.

Norcalhkr
03/17/2014, 11:02 PM
If you have a local reef club, join it. Lots of new reefers that might love to have your hardy, tank raised coral frags.

+1 The local clubs are a great way to share fast growing hard to sell corals, everybody starts some where and some folks really like having a tank of GSP. I also don't have any issues tossing out the trimmings, it isn't like I am throwing out the whole piece, kind of like trimming a plant. That is just my view.