PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a 12" cube

Tripwyr
03/12/2014, 05:14 PM
I'm hoping you guys have some input on lighting for nano sized tanks. The tank is 12x12x12", and I don't want light to limit my livestock choices for any reason. If I want a blue maxima on the sandbed, I'd like to be able to do that.

With that said, I've been looking at both Metal Halide and LED. Obviously quality T5 bulbs small enough do not exist. I'm not sure of the rules regarding brands here, and both are non-sponsor self distributed brands.

I've been looking at a 70w DE metal halide pendant, with a 14k or 20k Ushio DE bulb. The LED unit I've been looking at is a 36w full spectrum fixture.

I'm leaning towards the MH because like many others, I prefer the appearance. However, the 70w is an odd form factor, and the fixture itself is quite obviously fairly cheap and doesn't really have any aftermarket reflectors or ballasts.

Can anybody make a recommendation?

jdstank
03/12/2014, 05:51 PM
The Kessill A150W would make a great looking light for a cube with those dimensions and would certainly provide more than enough light for any coral, clam, etc you want to keep in the tank.

Tripwyr
03/12/2014, 06:02 PM
Sorry I should have been more clear, I already have an LED unit picked out, but I would prefer to use Metal Halide if it is possible/practical. What I'm asking is whether the 70w unit size is practical for this size of tank, or whether anybody has a recommendation for a compatible MH unit.

I did a search and the brand has been mentioned before, so hopefully it is safe to tell you that the MH unit I am looking at is the Fishneedit 70w metal halide.

Reefvet
03/12/2014, 08:24 PM
The tank is 12x12x12", and I don't want light to limit my livestock choices for any reason.

Heat from the 70W MH will be your limiting factor. You'll have a lot of evaporation if you manage to cool it with a fan and you'll have to use an ATO to keep it anywhere near stable salinity.

There's a reason you don't find any good reflectors or enclosures for the 70W MH. Think about it.

The Kessil A150 is a good recommendation.

Tripwyr
03/12/2014, 09:18 PM
Heat from the 70W MH will be your limiting factor. You'll have a lot of evaporation if you manage to cool it with a fan and you'll have to use an ATO to keep it anywhere near stable salinity.

There's a reason you don't find any good reflectors or enclosures for the 70W MH. Think about it.

The Kessil A150 is a good recommendation.

I already have a tunze nano ATO, but you make a good point about heat generation. I hadn't fully thought through the heat generation of the MHs, and while I know that my setup can deal it, I'm not sure I want to.

Thanks for the help.

moondoggy4
03/12/2014, 09:25 PM
I have the same tank and Kessil light but I believe that the Kessil would be too much, I can cause my yum's in my 120 to move because of it. I have not set it up yet just have most of the parts, but no room to put it my house.