PDA

View Full Version : What fish for my tank?

invaderzimm
03/12/2014, 08:56 PM
My tank is 5 months old now. It began its algae bloom awhile ago and now had brown algae on the sides of the glass and grass algae on the rocks. I have 1 blue damsel and 1 clown with a Galaxea and Frogspawn coral. These were added awhile ago and the tank is ready for more. My question is, what is compatible with these fish? My tank is 30 gallons, so it can't be a huge fish but it needs to be a fish that is both colorful and will clean the algae. I know tangs eat the grass algae but those my be to big. Also, I need a clean up crew. I have two snail currently but again, those were just to start. What are some good, non aggressive fish that are good for my tank?

ReefNole
03/12/2014, 09:51 PM
Not sure about cleaning the algae. That can be taken care by you and natural filtration. As for color and a manageable addition, I'd look into a yellow watchman goby, or other gobies. Also potentially blennies as they tend to perch and not require as much room to grow and swim. Lots of varieties, personalities, and colors.

flixxx
03/12/2014, 09:59 PM
Trochus snails are great to clean up the algae and nassarius for the sandbed.

Your tank is not big enough for any tang. As mentioned by reefnole blennies, gobies, wrasses, cardinal.

jdstank
03/12/2014, 10:05 PM
Trochus snails are great to clean up the algae and nassarius for the sandbed.

Your tank is not big enough for any tang. As mentioned by reefnole blennies, gobies, wrasses, cardinal.
What flixxx said, having a tang will only exacerbate the problem. They produce a ton of waste themselves and there's not enough room for a tang of any kind in a 30 to swim which will stress them and likely bring ich into your tank causing you more problems. The algae on your glass is normal, you need to clean that daily or every other day at the least.

invaderzimm
03/12/2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that I actually have 1 blenny. Is it ok to get more than one? if so how many? Will it kill the yellow watchman goby because they both dwell on the bottom?

flixxx
03/13/2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that I actually have 1 blenny. Is it ok to get more than one? if so how many? Will it kill the yellow watchman goby because they both dwell on the bottom?

Odds are that they won't get along especially in a 30 gallon.

A midas blenny might be an option but is not a guarantee

JackandJill
03/13/2014, 10:11 AM
Be careful with adding peaceful fish as the blue devil is likely to bully them upon entry (and possibly relentlessly)

Sk8r
03/13/2014, 01:45 PM
The blue devil is a 100 gallon fish. Tang can be more than that. I'd recommend high-fin red-stripe gobies, maybe a pair.