PDA

View Full Version : T8 to T5...

DSpate
03/12/2014, 09:49 PM
What I have is an old (10 years old) MaRS system.. Use to be walmart tanks, was in storage for a local store. The lighting on this system is old T8. I've opened the mounting fixture to mount it on my new stand that I build, but I'm thinking about trying to upgrade it to T5/T5HO..

Probably is, I have searched high and low and can't find info on what kind of parts or anything needs to be done in order to achieve this.

Does anyone have any info to share?

Timidfish
03/12/2014, 11:33 PM
If i understand your question correctly. I believe what your looking for is a t5 retro kit. It has the reflectors ballast and plugs. Suppose to have everything you need to retrofit a housing to t5

DSpate
03/13/2014, 08:22 AM
Maybe... I'm not sure. This lighting system I have looks just like something you'd screw into the roof... it doesn't have any reflectors or anything, it's a white metal box that runs the 48", then it has a bulb on either side.

Maybe I just need to buy a couple of cheap T5H0 fixtures.

Timidfish
03/13/2014, 12:26 PM
Yea. I would look into the retrofit kits. I have seen some that just bolt yhe reflectors inside a canopy and call it good. Not sure how well they work but it might be a option.

It might be at least worth looking into.

DSpate
03/13/2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks Timid, do you know any good reliable sites to get good ones? The ones I keep looking at are saying the bulbs are smaller and special and it's like a clip that goes into the existing bulb slot..

Or another question would be, do you know of a site that has 1-2 bulb T5 maybe HO fixtures that are small. I keep seeing some that aren't approved and could start fires.. if it's easier for me to buy a 30-50$ fixture, I may go that route too!

Timidfish
03/14/2014, 01:34 AM
Have you tried ebay? Or possibly Craig's list? I usually look on those then marinedepot or bulk reef supply. If those dont work I check Amazon. I got lucky and got a 8 bulb tek with splash guard and ati bulbs brand new for 275 the shop decided to go leds after ordering the lights.