PDA

View Full Version : Dave's worlds slowest pico build

Pages : [1] 2

terrypercula
03/13/2014, 04:16 AM
I'll start with an introduction, my name is Dave and if you don't already know me on here I look forward to getting to know you. If you are already familiar with me you would know my old tank the Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 is no more. It was sold, cracked and replaced within a months time. I do know the new owner so I'll be checking up on it from time to time and I'm sure the new owner will have a thread going on it as well.

Now for my new build which I shall call "The worlds slowest pico build," is on it's way. The reason for this name should be fairly obvious. I do have a 40 breeder up and running and that will be my main tank but this will be my mistress(40 breeder build thread to come).

Onto the equipment and inevitably boring background tale. The tank will be a 3 gallon JBJ picotope. Now you may be asking why. Well onto the back story. I purchased this tank probably a year and a half ago(when I say slowest build I mean it). It was originally a mini planted tank. I'd like to say as far as tank quality goes this thing is...awful. it's an awful piece of garbage. The stock light a 9watt CFL50/50 lasted about three months. Oh well I'll just replace the bulb. A month later the ballast went... ahh. Alright it's not like JBJ is a lighting company or anything(note heavy sarcasm) I'll throw an old T8 on it for now. Then the filter went. Well it was fairly useless anyway. Then the tank itself leaked...alrighty then. So believe it or not I resealed it, did a better job then JBJ too at that. The tank was not forgotten though. I used it as an ATO resivoir on my Nuvo. So now here it is sitting empty, rugged, battle wounds and all begging to be thrown back onto the battlefield like a proud soldier. I will be granting its wish and reviving the picotope.

So equipment will be so far.
1 3 gallon JBJ picotope tank..
And that's it so far I still need to decide on a light. Thinking a dimmable par38 but if I can nab a used Kessil A150 cheap enough I will not hesitate to do so.

Livestock plans:
Absolutely no fish. If you see a fish in this tank quote this line and slap me upside the head with it. I'll be doing some interesting little inverts instead.
Coral wise ZOA garden for sure, maybe I'll do a touch of SPS and some nicer mushrooms. Anything with real nice color will be in this tank though.

Other notable material:
Tank will be bare bottom. Usually not a huge fan of bare bottom tanks but hey it's only three gallons why displace more water than we have too?

Looking forward to any comments, recommendations, constructive criticism and maybe even an insult or two. Also may try my hand at some YouTube videos on this thing assuming.they are not terribly boring, don't expect Mr.Saltwatertank TV quality here people.

Enjoy everyone and happy reefing.
:beer:

Fishy 1
03/13/2014, 07:02 AM
I hope to get to know you a bit and will be following this build closely. I am a subscriber to Mr.saltwatertank as well and love watching his vids, always full of information. Any questions I'll be happy to answer (at least try to:-) ) looking forward to this build :D

Blindf8th
03/13/2014, 12:20 PM
The eyes of Blind will be upon thee. Good luck...

Hentz
03/14/2014, 09:17 PM
Dave sounds like a stupid name.......

Jk jk jk :D I can't wait to see this build! :beer:

Honestly, I've seen some BEAUTIFUL 3g JBJ tanks. And its honestly best that you're doing the "slowest" build ever! Being such a small tank, taking it slow is probably what would be best!

terrypercula
03/14/2014, 09:46 PM
I hope to get to know you a bit and will be following this build closely. I am a subscriber to Mr.saltwatertank as well and love watching his vids, always full of information. Any questions I'll be happy to answer (at least try to:-) ) looking forward to this build :D

Thanks. Yea Mr.Saltwater tank is a goof but he's entertaining as hell.

The eyes of Blind will be upon thee. Good luck...

Blind eyes seem fairly useless but thank you :lol:

Dave sounds like a stupid name.......

Jk jk jk :D I can't wait to see this build! :beer:

Honestly, I've seen some BEAUTIFUL 3g JBJ tanks. And its honestly best that you're doing the "slowest" build ever! Being such a small tank, taking it slow is probably what would be best!

Ha thanks. My main goal with this tank is to be unique.

terrypercula
03/15/2014, 06:43 PM
Ok everyone lesson one is how to turn your two year old pico around and spiff it up a bit.

Part one. Krylon fusion paint.
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140315_194345_612_zps137ac262.jpg

Remember preparation is everything! Tape off all unwanted surfaces and clean surface to be painted.
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140315_194154_100_zpsbccffdde.jpg

Spray in light coats. No need to rush!
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140315_194554_143_zpsa576feba.jpg

terrypercula
03/15/2014, 06:46 PM
Before...
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140315_192834_822_zps9fc34477.jpg
Actually cleaned up nice.

After...
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140315_203441_000_zps565824bf.jpg

Top down...
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140315_203429_320_zps6758171e.jpg

Hentz
03/15/2014, 09:59 PM
Its soooooo little! :D Love the black though.

I used Plasti-Dip on my tanks in the past. Works awesome as well!

terrypercula
03/15/2014, 10:15 PM
Its soooooo little! :D Love the black though.

I used Plasti-Dip on my tanks in the past. Works awesome as well!

I have used that as well. Also works good. Next part is the rock scape. Obviously a few small pieces and we'll see what I can come up with ;)

batesdc
03/15/2014, 10:53 PM
The black looks great.

terrypercula
03/16/2014, 04:58 AM
The black looks great.

Thank you. I do it on most tanks. My 40 breeder is like that as well. It brings out colors of the tank big time. :thumbsup:

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 05:30 AM
Is Mr.saltwatertank as entertaining as hell in a good way or a bad way. :what: I think he is quite funny :thumbup:

terrypercula
03/16/2014, 06:38 AM
Is Mr.saltwatertank as entertaining as hell in a good way or a bad way. :what: I think he is quite funny :thumbup:

In a good way ha. I'm q little jealous of his fish t shirt collection :lol:

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 07:08 AM
In a good way ha. I'm q little jealous of his fish t shirt collection :lol:

Me too :p his tank isn't half bad ether:-) at least if he's talking about something boring, theres the tank to watch :lol:
I love his one of the two clowns and one throws a cream pie at the other :D

terrypercula
03/16/2014, 07:21 AM
Me too :p his tank isn't half bad ether:-) at least if he's talking about something boring, theres the tank to watch :lol:
I love his one of the two clowns and one throws a cream pie at the other :D

His tank is only a little more than a hundred times the size of my pico, not that big ha
That's my favorite shirt too lol

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 07:06 PM
His tank is only a little more than a hundred times the size of my pico, not that big ha
That's my favorite shirt too lol

What size tank does he have?

terrypercula
03/16/2014, 07:19 PM
What size tank does he have?

It's like a 350 gallon display.

Fishy 1
03/16/2014, 09:57 PM
It's like a 350 gallon display.

My dream tank:D but if you think about it, if he had only a small tank it wouldn't be anywhere near as impressive;-) Hahahahahahah :lol:

terrypercula
03/17/2014, 06:20 AM
I think I found my light everyone! Reef Breeders will be releasing the nano-lite led system this week sometime.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/Screenshot_2014-03-17-08-18-44_zpse1ea95a6.png

ASpec
03/17/2014, 02:31 PM
Cool setup and light. Looking forward to it.

PS: Your battery needs charging! ;)

terrypercula
03/17/2014, 03:42 PM
Cool setup and light. Looking forward to it.

PS: Your battery needs charging! ;)

I usually charge it every night. The one night I forgot I take a screen shot lol

Fishy 1
03/17/2014, 05:24 PM
I usually charge it every night. The one night I forgot I take a screen shot lol

Hahahahahahah :lol: looking forward to seeing the light on the tank :thumbup:

Hentz
03/19/2014, 11:14 AM
Bump for my boy, Dave!

SmoothSmoke
03/19/2014, 11:23 AM
Good stuff! I actually bought some Krylon Fusion because of your thread. Painting my tank right now.

SmoothSmoke
03/19/2014, 11:27 AM
Ask Logan if your nano-lite qualifies for the group buy he is having right now. Probably not, but may be worth a try. I ordered the Photon 24.

terrypercula
03/19/2014, 12:20 PM
Hahahahahahah :lol: looking forward to seeing the light on the tank :thumbup:
Me too. I do like reef breeders products.

Good stuff! I actually bought some Krylon Fusion because of your thread. Painting my tank right now.
The stuff works great. I did it on my 90 my 40 the 3 and countless friends tanks. Never fails.
Ask Logan if your nano-lite qualifies for the group buy he is having right now. Probably not, but may be worth a try. I ordered the Photon 24.
I'll look into it. Thanks.

terrypercula
03/19/2014, 12:21 PM
Bump for my boy, Dave!
Good bump ha this build is moving so slowly I forgot what I've done so far lol I'm going to do a mini stand and canopy too.

terrypercula
03/29/2014, 06:38 PM
The rock scape is almost done. Trying to figure out a creative way to balance it. Hmmmm....

Blindf8th
03/29/2014, 08:44 PM
Threads are useless without pics :)

terrypercula
03/29/2014, 09:27 PM
Threads are useless without pics :)

Oh they're coming lol

Blindf8th
03/29/2014, 10:10 PM
I look forward to them sir :)

Fishy 1
04/06/2014, 07:08 PM
Oh they're coming lol

That sounded like I should be scared.:eek:

terrypercula
04/06/2014, 07:42 PM
Be scared. Be very scared. I'm a mad scientist.

Fishy 1
04/06/2014, 11:28 PM
Be scared. Be very scared. I'm a mad scientist.

I'm now sitting in the corner rocking back and forth with fear;)

necrio
04/07/2014, 04:59 AM
I think I found my light everyone! Reef Breeders will be releasing the nano-lite led system this week sometime.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/Screenshot_2014-03-17-08-18-44_zpse1ea95a6.png

I am building a nano right now too. A few days after I got it, the first thing I thought I needed to buy was a light.

After having 2 hours of looking with no reviews on the light, i look back at the first post about it coming out.. Noticing it JUST came out.

I get my nano-lite Wednesday of this week. Review and pictures come soon :). But good choice on the light! :hmm5:

terrypercula
04/07/2014, 05:13 AM
I am building a nano right now too. A few days after I got it, the first thing I thought I needed to buy was a light.

After having 2 hours of looking with no reviews on the light, i look back at the first post about it coming out.. Noticing it JUST came out.

I get my nano-lite Wednesday of this week. Review and pictures come soon :). But good choice on the light! :hmm5:

Let me know your thoughts on it. I'm 90% sure that's the direction I'm going.

Fishy 1
04/09/2014, 04:08 AM
Any updates terry?

terrypercula
04/09/2014, 05:35 AM
Any updates terry?

Hmmm..well it's currently holding hot vinegar water? Lol

I'm in the midst of a move which is part of the reason it's taking so long.

Fishy 1
04/10/2014, 05:28 AM
Hmmm..well it's currently holding hot vinegar water? Lol

I'm in the midst of a move which is part of the reason it's taking so long.

lol, what are you trying to treat/kill?

terrypercula
04/10/2014, 06:38 AM
Nothing I put fragging utensils in there when I'm done with them.

Fishy 1
04/11/2014, 05:31 AM
Ok, do you have a bigger tank?

terrypercula
04/11/2014, 05:36 AM
Ok, do you have a bigger tank?

40 breeder and a frag system that's been up forever.

Fishy 1
04/11/2014, 06:41 AM
40 breeder and a frag system that's been up forever.

What sort of corals do you have?

terrypercula
04/11/2014, 06:59 AM
What sort of corals do you have?

Pretty much everything. I don't have any NPS though.

Fishy 1
04/11/2014, 07:26 PM
Pretty much everything. I don't have any NPS though.

What does nps stand for?

mbingha
04/11/2014, 07:59 PM
What does nps stand for?

Non-photosynthetic

Fishy 1
04/12/2014, 02:34 AM
Non-photosynthetic

Cool thanks:thumbup:

terrypercula
04/12/2014, 05:24 AM
Non-photosynthetic

Yep. I've been wanting to try some but there's not really any for sale by me and I don't know any local people with any so I just never really got any. There's some really beautiful NPS corals though.

Fishy 1
04/25/2014, 04:15 AM
Any updates Dave?

terrypercula
04/25/2014, 05:19 AM
Any updates Dave?

Yaa kind of. I'm moving Monday so after I move and get settled in I'll get moving on the tank again.

Fishy 1
04/25/2014, 06:03 AM
Good stuff :) I hope the move goes well for you:thumbsup:

terrypercula
04/25/2014, 06:34 AM
I'm hoping so too. I have to drag my 40 breeder around ha

Fishy 1
04/25/2014, 07:00 AM
I'm hoping so too. I have to drag my 40 breeder around ha

How are you planning to move all the stock and how far are you moving?

terrypercula
04/25/2014, 07:48 AM
How are you planning to move all the stock and how far are you moving?

Lots of buckets lol

Not too far.

Fishy 1
04/25/2014, 05:08 PM
Lots of buckets lol

Not too far.

Hahaha lol, at least your not moving countries:)

terrypercula
04/25/2014, 06:00 PM
Hahaha lol, at least your not moving countries:)

Every time you move it feels like you're moving criss country lol

Fishy 1
04/25/2014, 10:37 PM
Every time you move it feels like you're moving criss country lol

Lol. Yah I now what its like moving countries and close and its not as fun as playing with my tank:)

terrypercula
05/08/2014, 07:04 AM
Ok everyone small update on my pico. I will be getting it wet next week. Get the cycle kicked off. Still no light or idea on filtration but due to the almost non existing bio load I'm quite confident daily water changes or weekly should suffice. I will be using my ATO on this tank because frankly a 3 gallon with no ATO and my schedule is DOOMED. Still undecided on lighting. Here's my dilemma...

Kessil A150-decent price but the lack of dimming is a turn off.
Kessil 350- a few bucks more BUT color control and dimming control is a huge plus.

I like Kessil for the quality, sexiness and nice mounting options available keeping my pico looking small.

Reef Breeders Nano-lite as originally planned, affordable and I've seen good success from reef breeders in the past but my options for mounting become cloudy.

PAR38 bulb with gooseneck-cheap option but I've never seen one that didn't have a spotty effect and that's a HUGE turn off for me.

Nano Box- clearly a quality item but I'm not sure if I'm willing to blow bank on one over a Kessil. Frankly I picked up used radions for what the nano box lighting costs :lol: however as I said obvious quality and made in the USA is a nice plus. Dave seems like a nice guy and it would be nice knowing the money is going to someone like that.

Also thinking of having a local guy build a mini stand and canopy for it but not sure how he'd feel about it :lmao: I was going to do it myself but I picked up a used canopy made by him and it's second to none quality. So still lots of ideas floating around we'll see what I come up with ;)

ASpec
05/08/2014, 07:12 AM
I have no experience with any of the other lights you mentioned, besides the Kessil. I have the 360, connected and controlled with my Apex. I do have real world experience and use with AI and Ecotech LED -- hands down the Kessil blows them away. I know it's an expense light for a tank in the PICO size but it sure would look good over it. And I don't have to tell you, would grow ANYTHING at like 20%. LOL. ;)

Fishy 1
05/08/2014, 07:54 AM
hey Dave how did the move go? glad your getting it wet:) i cant realy help you with the lighting side of things, but if i was picking out of that list the kessil 350 sounds the best and i think color control and dimming would pay for its self in avoided future frustration lol. so go the best and be done with it;)

terrypercula
05/08/2014, 10:02 AM
I have no experience with any of the other lights you mentioned, besides the Kessil. I have the 360, connected and controlled with my Apex. I do have real world experience and use with AI and Ecotech LED -- hands down the Kessil blows them away. I know it's an expense light for a tank in the PICO size but it sure would look good over it. And I don't have to tell you, would grow ANYTHING at like 20%. LOL. ;)

That's a little surprising to hear honestly. I love my radion but I've seen kesdils in action and they're kick ***! I think I may try one. That's where I'm leaning but not positive yet.

terrypercula
05/08/2014, 10:03 AM
hey Dave how did the move go? glad your getting it wet:) i cant realy help you with the lighting side of things, but if i was picking out of that list the kessil 350 sounds the best and i think color control and dimming would pay for its self in avoided future frustration lol. so go the best and be done with it;)

The move went smoothly the 40 breeder suffered no damages so that's a win lol I'm pumped to get this running too.

Hentz
05/08/2014, 10:09 AM
That's a little surprising to hear honestly. I love my radion but I've seen kesdils in action and they're kick ***! I think I may try one. That's where I'm leaning but not positive yet.

A Radion would be perfect for the Pico!!! Lol.

All jokes aside, the Kessil's are amazing lights. Even though I had the 150's (before the new ones came out) those lights still packed a punch and grew anything I needed.

Honestly for me, I'd just do a Kessil 150. Keep it nice and cheap, yet still powerful especially considering the tank size. But you do want the control-ability so, out of all, I think the bigger Kessil would be your best bet unless you'd want to throw your Radion over it which you're going to get the most control-ability from..

Decisions Decisions, this tank will be a beast of a pico!!

terrypercula
05/08/2014, 12:16 PM
A Radion would be perfect for the Pico!!! Lol.

All jokes aside, the Kessil's are amazing lights. Even though I had the 150's (before the new ones came out) those lights still packed a punch and grew anything I needed.

Honestly for me, I'd just do a Kessil 150. Keep it nice and cheap, yet still powerful especially considering the tank size. But you do want the control-ability so, out of all, I think the bigger Kessil would be your best bet unless you'd want to throw your Radion over it which you're going to get the most control-ability from..

Decisions Decisions, this tank will be a beast of a pico!!

Lol radion is reserved for the 40. The controllability color wuse isn't an issue, I feel like I'd like the ocean blue but I want dimming it else I'll have to hang this thing from the sun so I don't blast everything with light :lol:

The 350 is $40-$50 more than the 150 so it's tough not to bump up the next level. The 360 is $400 I believe though and that's well over what I'd like to spend. I may do a 150 ocean blue though. I'm still confused what TUNA blue is though. Someone on here said it is am acronym for something mean there's some kind of tuning or something but I'll have to read up on that.

terrypercula
05/08/2014, 12:39 PM
Correction! The 350 is $70 more. Also I didn't know there was a deep ocean blue which is a 20k look...hmmmm

Hentz
05/08/2014, 04:58 PM
Yep, deep ocean is blue haha. I didn't realize the price difference. Get the tuna them for controllability! If it's not much more, why not!

terrypercula
05/08/2014, 05:03 PM
Yep, deep ocean is blue haha. I didn't realize the price difference. Get the tuna them for controllability! If it's not much more, why not!

Tough call. With gooseneck I'm at $250 or $330 between 150 and 350. I'm also keeping an eye open on the used market. There's a 150 with goiseneck on here for $175 shipped and insured but it's sky blue :(

spoon671
05/08/2014, 08:40 PM
350 all day. ;) Something about the knobs on top..supm really satisfying about having them there.

I'm also into cameras. They've got fancy touchscreen cameras and all that now. But I much prefer the vintage styling of Canon G-Series' with their knobs and dials. I dunno..there really is something satisfying about turning a good ol' fashioned knob, know what I mean?

Now post more pics!

terrypercula
05/09/2014, 04:59 AM
350 all day. ;) Something about the knobs on top..supm really satisfying about having them there.

I'm also into cameras. They've got fancy touchscreen cameras and all that now. But I much prefer the vintage styling of Canon G-Series' with their knobs and dials. I dunno..there really is something satisfying about turning a good ol' fashioned knob, know what I mean?

Now post more pics!

My dad has a camera from Fuji. It's digital but it looks all old school ha pretty neat. I'll get some more pics don't you worry.

Note from the editor: I warned all of you this would be painfully slow. It's in the title! :lol:

Fishy 1
05/09/2014, 09:20 PM
My dad has a camera from Fuji. It's digital but it looks all old school ha pretty neat. I'll get some more pics don't you worry.

Note from the editor: I warned all of you this would be painfully slow. It's in the title! :lol:

and slow it is :lolspin::dance:

Blindf8th
05/09/2014, 10:04 PM
For 250 you could get the Nano Box Mini Tide and I think you would be very happy. Better price point for that size :)

Hentz
05/09/2014, 10:09 PM
This is a slow painful build and it's definitely killing all of us... SLOWLY!!!

Though I think it will be worth it. Going to be SUCH a sick little tank when its all stocked up!

Fishy 1
05/10/2014, 02:58 AM

Though I think it will be worth it. Going to be SUCH a sick little tank when its all stocked up!

it will be so awesome when its done but at this pace it could take yeeeaaarrrsss........:lolspin:
jokes aside its good your taking it SLOW and not rushing:thumbsup:

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 05:17 AM
For 250 you could get the Nano Box Mini Tide and I think you would be very happy. Better price point for that size :)

I'll look into that. I may have to give him a call. I thought last time I looked it was $350 even for a little bugger ha

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 05:19 AM

This thing will be COLOR. That's the point of this pico for me.

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 05:19 AM
it will be so awesome when its done but at this pace it could take yeeeaaarrrsss........:lolspin:
jokes aside its good your taking it SLOW and not rushing:thumbsup:

Is a tank ever really done? :lol:

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 05:36 AM
Another concern after I get this light figured out is water flow. Any suggestions?

Blindf8th
05/10/2014, 07:25 AM
I'll look into that. I may have to give him a call. I thought last time I looked it was $350 even for a little bugger ha

Look forward to whatever you end up with, but over your tank pick the color you want and presto, your gtg

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 10:15 AM
I might try my original plan and if I don't like it upgrade it later.

Hentz
05/10/2014, 10:35 AM
I think an MP40 would be perfect.

All jokes aside,
Maybe a little nano powerhead? If you aren't really doing SPS, I think the flow from an HOB filter or whatever will be sufficient enough

spoon671
05/10/2014, 10:37 AM
What are your plans for light finally Terry? Looked up the Nano Box as mentioned above. That's a cool light. The A350W can be had for same exact price if you wanted to go that route as well.

I can't wait to see what's up your sleeve here.

Edit: Ugh, navigating NanoBox mobile website is a nightmare. But their "retro" fixtures really turn me on. ;)

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 12:01 PM
I think an MP40 would be perfect.

All jokes aside,
Maybe a little nano powerhead? If you aren't really doing SPS, I think the flow from an HOB filter or whatever will be sufficient enough

I was considering maybe a little SPS. Couple digis or something. I wasn't even going to run a HOB filter but I may have to just for flow ha

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 12:04 PM
What are your plans for light finally Terry? Looked up the Nano Box as mentioned above. That's a cool light. The A350W can be had for same exact price if you wanted to go that route as well.

I can't wait to see what's up your sleeve here.

Edit: Ugh, navigating NanoBox mobile website is a nightmare. But their "retro" fixtures really turn me on. ;)

I was thinking of the nano-lite for now and if I'm disappointed I'll upgrade it down the line. Decisions decisions...

spoon671
05/10/2014, 01:05 PM
I was thinking of the nano-lite for now and if I'm disappointed I'll upgrade it down the line. Decisions decisions...

You know that Kessil will be a whole lot cleaner, especially with one of those custom mounts.

Just trying to make this decision harder for ya. ;)

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 01:12 PM
I officially ordered the Reef Breeders Nano-Lite LED unit. I'll give it some time on my tank and depending how it is I'll keep it, if I'm not satisfied I'll upgrade. For $129.99 shipped I'm willing to chance it.

"There are 2 different dimming channels, controlled by knobs on top of the fixture. Channel 1 consists of 5 4500K Neutral Whites, 3 420nm Violets, and 2 450nm Royal Blues. Channel 2 consists of 10 450nm Royal Blues , for a 14k output with both channels at equal intensities.

Each fixture measures 8.75″ long x 5.5″ wide, x 2.5″ tall, and covers an 18″ cube.

The fixtures have 1 plug, which saves space on power strips and controllers.

They consume about 50watts at full power, and 25watts at half power.

They include a hanging kit comprised of 4 wires meeting at a carabiner

All fixtures include our full 1 year warranty."

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 01:40 PM
This light will result in my first video. Unboxing and initial thoughts on the light. I may even do a video series on the pico build in general. I'll probably be awkward at first so bare with me people :lol:

spoon671
05/10/2014, 03:14 PM
I'll stick around. ;)

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 03:18 PM
I'll stick around. ;)

Glad I won't lose any audience lol

terrypercula
05/10/2014, 05:44 PM
I did contact a local guy about building a mini stand and canopy. It's a quirky request but I'm hoping he'll say yes.

Fishy 1
05/10/2014, 10:17 PM
Is a tank ever really done? :lol:

the answer to that is no because we just can't stop tinkering with our tanks:lol:

terrypercula
05/11/2014, 06:25 AM
the answer to that is no because we just can't stop tinkering with our tanks:lol:

Let's see if I can be the first person to ever finish a tank ha

The tank seems to be moving so fast now after months of basically nothing. It's soaking in vinegar because for the last few weeks it's just been holding stuff :lol:

I was originally going to seed it with rock from my tank but I think I may grab a pound or two of real reef rock from the LFS. I'll blow the $20 to have sweet looking rock work.

The nano-lite is on its way. I'll be giving that a full review after a few months.

I'll be giving dimensions to a local wood worker for a custom mini stand and canopy. Pumped about that.

So it's safe to say this thing is moving now.

terrypercula
05/12/2014, 11:51 AM
My light should be in sometime this week. Super pumped. :thumbsup:

SmoothSmoke
05/12/2014, 04:30 PM
You're going to love your light man. I love my RB photon! Have at 27% max power and all my zoas and lps are loving it!

Fishy 1
05/12/2014, 05:48 PM
Awesome Dave can't wait too see it :D

terrypercula
05/12/2014, 06:27 PM
You're going to love your light man. I love my RB photon! Have at 27% max power and all my zoas and lps are loving it!

Yea a friend of mine has a 24. It's pretty slick. He even changed some of the LEDs.

Awesome Dave can't wait too see it :D

Yea me neither!

terrypercula
05/12/2014, 07:15 PM
A little set back, it's back to the drawing board with my stand and canopy.

terrypercula
05/13/2014, 02:59 PM
I just realized how successful this threads has been and I don't even have water in the tank yet :lol:

Thank for the support guys :thumbsup:

spoon671
05/13/2014, 04:11 PM
What was the setback bud?

terrypercula
05/13/2014, 04:24 PM
Well I anticipated a slow build due to moving and now it's a case of what am to do with this thing? Hahai know just about coral wise what I'll be doing but livestock not a clue. No fish for this tank. Invert only.

Fishy 1
05/13/2014, 06:04 PM
I just realized how successful this threads has been and I don't even have water in the tank yet :lol:

Thank for the support guys :thumbsup:

That's ok Dave:) I wanted to follow a build right from the start and your build was the one I followed :)

terrypercula
05/13/2014, 06:07 PM
Lol my build you followed even before the start!

Fishy 1
05/13/2014, 06:10 PM
Lol my build you followed even before the start!

Hahahaha yes I just checked and I posted the first reply:D it's been great following Dave even though you don't have water in it yet :lol:

terrypercula
05/13/2014, 06:16 PM
I promised water this week and I intend to keep that promise! Ha

Fishy 1
05/13/2014, 06:23 PM
I promised water this week and I intend to keep that promise! Ha

Finally :D and I'll hold you to that promise lol

terrypercula
05/13/2014, 06:31 PM
I still have a lot to figure out though. Where is the tank going? How am I mounting the light? And what is going in it? Minor details :lol:

Fishy 1
05/13/2014, 10:31 PM
You could put a pair of shrimp and a tiny goby like a fire cracker goby in there and it would make a nice livestock selection.

terrypercula
05/14/2014, 05:09 AM
No fish. I know some people do it but it's too small for fish. Definitely some kind of cool inverts though

Fishy 1
05/14/2014, 06:46 AM
No fish. I know some people do it but it's too small for fish. Definitely some kind of cool inverts though
i'd agree with no fish, the goby was just a suggestion as the firecrackers are minuscule little fish. blood shrimps are cool, but there are some beautiful shrimps out there:).

terrypercula
05/14/2014, 10:22 AM
I want another coral banded. I had one back in the day but when I added fish he was super aggressive so I got rid of him

terrypercula
05/14/2014, 04:15 PM
Teaser shot. This light is heavy duty ha

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140514_181123_264_zps3055b94a.jpg

Hentz
05/14/2014, 04:32 PM
Wow that light is PERFECT for this tank!

terrypercula
05/14/2014, 04:43 PM
Wow that light is PERFECT for this tank!

I'll say. Haha it's a heavy sucker too. Anyone who has first hand experience with reef breeders products wouldn't be surprised though. Can't wait to see it in action.

Hentz
05/14/2014, 04:57 PM
I'll say. Haha it's a heavy sucker too. Anyone who has first hand experience with reef breeders products wouldn't be surprised though. Can't wait to see it in action.

Oh yeah! My Reefbreeders 24 was surprisingly heavy. Powerful sucker though! Me either. Hurry up and set it up, THEN you can take your time.:lol::dance:

terrypercula
05/14/2014, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah! My Reefbreeders 24 was surprisingly heavy. Powerful sucker though! Me either. Hurry up and set it up, THEN you can take your time.:lol::dance:

Lol I still don't know where to put it!!

terrypercula
05/14/2014, 08:09 PM
So after playing with my lights I'm realizing that these things will never go over 25% lol they're incredibly bright. I almost lit my 40 breeder with them :lmao:

Video is on the way by the way. I'll take a good look into these lights with everyone.

Fishy 1
05/15/2014, 03:26 AM
So after playing with my lights I'm realizing that these things will never go over 25% lol they're incredibly bright. I almost lit my 40 breeder with them :lmao:

Video is on the way by the way. I'll take a good look into these lights with everyone.

Awesome Dave you can keep what ever you want in that tank with those lights:), look forward to the video :D

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 05:16 AM
That's what I was looking for. I do plan on a little bit of SPS. Not much though because I'm not that into it.

Fishy 1
05/15/2014, 06:32 AM
i agree with having some sps but not a tank dedicated to them as i find a mixed reef more interesting with sps, lps and some softies. The light looks very well built as well

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 06:58 AM
i agree with having some sps but not a tank dedicated to them as i find a mixed reef more interesting with sps, lps and some softies. The light looks very well built as well

I love a nice mix. I probably lean more LPS dominant as it's tough to beat the colors and movement. A tank just looks so lively packed with LPS. Though in a pico doing a lot of LPS will be tough. Some LPS can be quite aggressive.

Fishy 1
05/15/2014, 07:21 AM
I love a nice mix. I probably lean more LPS dominant as it's tough to beat the colors and movement. A tank just looks so lively packed with LPS. Though in a pico doing a lot of LPS will be tough. Some LPS can be quite aggressive.

Lps are my fav type of coral and I think a lps dominant would be great, it's a shame some of them are aggressive though :)

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 07:38 AM
Some zoas, rice and sh rooms, maybe my plate and some hammers and like a monti or two. Boom pico ha

Fishy 1
05/15/2014, 07:46 AM
I vote for a hammer or two, I love mine. The zoas, shrooms and other corals mentioned will look great. This nano will be awesome when it's "done" :)

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 11:09 AM
I vote for a hammer or two, I love mine. The zoas, shrooms and other corals mentioned will look great. This nano will be awesome when it's "done" :)

I hope so lol.

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 11:10 AM
Or it'll be a colorful cluster of aggression. Haha

spoon671
05/15/2014, 11:24 AM
Or it'll be a colorful cluster of aggression. Haha

That's exactly what they are! ;)

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 01:12 PM
Very true haha my chalice keeps stinging my plate . It's been stubg and recovered like three times now

spoon671
05/15/2014, 02:13 PM
Hey Dave, do you feed your chalice?

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 03:50 PM
Hey Dave, do you feed your chalice?

I don't feed anything. I feed the tank and let the current take the food wherever. Corals get some but I never target fed except my anemone.

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 07:49 PM
So I took the light to my LFS to show him. We put it over a 29 gallon biocube and at 50% it lit it up like a Christmas tree :lmao: I don't even think Reef Breeders knows how powerful this light is.

Hentz
05/15/2014, 08:26 PM
So I took the light to my LFS to show him. We put it over a 29 gallon biocube and at 50% it lit it up like a Christmas tree :lmao: I don't even think Reef Breeders knows how powerful this light is.

They're seriously crazy lights! Here's a buddies tank with a 48" RB over it. SPS frags encrust within days. It's nuts lol

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p764/HentzReef/image_zpsc7dc9372.jpg (http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/HentzReef/media/image_zpsc7dc9372.jpg.html)

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 08:32 PM
That's a perty tank!! The red diodes seem so dull until you put them over water and then it's nice and purple. Lol he's growing SPS on the sand bed :lmao:

Hentz
05/15/2014, 08:41 PM
It is a pretty tank! And here's a picture of my old 40B with my 24" RB's on.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p764/HentzReef/image_zpsa86c2724.jpg (http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/HentzReef/media/image_zpsa86c2724.jpg.html)

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 08:45 PM
That tank don't look half bad either! My 40 breeder is a mess lol it's like half frag tank half display

Hentz
05/15/2014, 09:04 PM
It was so full of life. Idk why I got rid of it. Wasn't wanting to move it. So I sold it to an LFS in town who chopped it up and killed most of it.

terrypercula
05/15/2014, 09:18 PM
That sucks! You downsized and then up sized lol

terrypercula
05/16/2014, 08:36 PM
Getting it ready for water.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140516_221848_412_zps716d09ab.jpg

Matthias7
05/16/2014, 08:41 PM
Cool little tank

terrypercula
05/16/2014, 08:53 PM
Cool little tank

Thank you! Water is finally in it ha

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140516_225201_872_zpsbe029662.jpg

terrypercula
05/16/2014, 09:04 PM
Getting the light up is the next step. No rush though because I now have a cycle to watch.

spoon671
05/16/2014, 09:14 PM
Nice rock!

terrypercula
05/16/2014, 09:18 PM
Nice rock!

It's my first experience with "real reef" rock. I see where people would complain about it. It isn't very porous so for filtration purposes it's not going to work as well as say, poukani. However, for my purposes it's awesome. I don't think I'd ever pack a big display with it but this chunk for my pico is perfect. It's nice and purple and eventually real coraline will cover but until then it looks the part :thumbsup:

Hentz
05/17/2014, 12:35 AM
Lights, Water, CYCLE!!!!!

I think this rock is perfect as well. Such a cool little tank!

Fishy 1
05/17/2014, 12:59 AM
trumpeting - the moment we've all been waiting for (drum roll)......WATER!!!!!
hahaha i couldn't resist :lmao: it great you've got water and rock in the tank finally Dave :thumbsup: the rock looks so awesome:beer:

Fishy 1
05/17/2014, 01:00 AM
Dave where are you keeping you're heater?

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 05:38 AM
Lights, Water, CYCLE!!!!!

I think this rock is perfect as well. Such a cool little tank!

Now we can work this cycle out and focus on some livestock soon.

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 05:40 AM
trumpeting - the moment we've all been waiting for (drum roll)......WATER!!!!!
hahaha i couldn't resist :lmao: it great you've got water and rock in the tank finally Dave :thumbsup: the rock looks so awesome:beer:

Dave where are you keeping you're heater?

Thanks! The heater wasn't in in this picture. It's behind the rock. Spare 50 watt I had floating around. :thumbsup:

Fishy 1
05/17/2014, 05:51 AM
Awesome hiding I couldn't even see it :thumbsup:

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 05:58 AM
Awesome hiding I couldn't even see it :thumbsup:

No you can see it lol it just wasn't in the tank yet in the picture I took ha I thought about one of those neo therm heaters, 25 watt or so, and tucking it in the HOB filter. I don't know if that's safe or not though lol

Fishy 1
05/17/2014, 06:23 AM
No you can see it lol it just wasn't in the tank yet in the picture I took ha I thought about one of those neo therm heaters, 25 watt or so, and tucking it in the HOB filter. I don't know if that's safe or not though lol

No wonder I couldn't see it :lolspin: :facepalm:. I would put the Heater in the tank so just in case the filter stops and your not there to fix it, at least the tank will stay warm and everything will survive.
Just my take on it anyway:)

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 06:30 AM
Very true. It's not exactly a super high quality HOB either. It's an aqua tech...they're sold at Walmart :lol:

Fishy 1
05/17/2014, 06:34 AM
Very true. It's not exactly a super high quality HOB either. It's an aqua tech...they're sold at Walmart :lol:

OK, I'm sure it will be reliable but you just never know do you :)

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 06:55 AM
OK, I'm sure it will be reliable but you just never know do you :)

I'm not too worried about it. If it does break I'll just swap it out at wal mart. I may just swap it out every time I need new filters anyway :lol: free filters!

Fishy 1
05/17/2014, 06:58 AM
I'm not too worried about it. If it does break I'll just swap it out at wal mart. I may just swap it out every time I need new filters anyway :lol: free filters!

Hahahaha lol that's not a bad way to do it:D

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 07:25 AM
Ghost fed the tank this morning. Let's build that bacteria ;)

Fishy 1
05/17/2014, 07:42 AM
Ghost fed the tank this morning. Let's build that bacteria ;)

What are you using to ghost feed?

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 07:51 AM
Chopped up bits of shrimp. I never ghost fed before so I'm interested in seeing how this works. It's a simple idea though. Create an ammonia source to kick start a bacteria boom. People even have gone as far to literally dose ammonia into their tanks. I always used per existing live rock out of old tanks so I never really deal with cycles but because I wanted to try out this rock from my LFS I'm giving ghost feeding a shot. This is kind of my experimental tank as well I guess :lol:

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 09:56 AM
Kessil FINALLY has announced a controller for their lights. I suspected they weren't too far off. Frankly with the addition of controllability I see no reason not to buy a Kessil for a bigger tank at some point in the future. It was the only thing that ever really held me back from them.

spoon671
05/17/2014, 10:03 AM
I also did the chopped up bits of shrimp. I'd smoosh a piece of shrimp the size of my thumbnail and let it settle in the tank. I would do it every 2-3 days..you can see the shrimp start to deteriorate.

I also dosed MicroBacter7 during this time.

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 10:19 AM
I also did the chopped up bits of shrimp. I'd smoosh a piece of shrimp the size of my thumbnail and let it settle in the tank. I would do it every 2-3 days..you can see the shrimp start to deteriorate.

I also dosed MicroBacter7 during this time.

I thought about some bacteria in a bottle too. I have used some before waaaaay back in the day :lol:

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 10:20 AM
And by waaaay back like 4 years ago lol

terrypercula
05/17/2014, 11:43 AM
And by waaaay back like 4 years ago lol

terrypercula
05/18/2014, 06:14 AM
So some Sunday morning DIY. I built a canopy frame that will hold my light out of egg crate. I'll build the cover later and of course will have pictures. For now the light is just sitting on the frame about 4 inches off the surface. As far as how powerful it is I have it set to 1% I guess you'd call it :lol: it's one click past on.

Fishy 1
05/18/2014, 07:55 AM
So some Sunday morning DIY. I built a canopy frame that will hold my light out of egg crate. I'll build the cover later and of course will have pictures. For now the light is just sitting on the frame about 4 inches off the surface. As far as how powerful it is I have it set to 1% I guess you'd call it :lol: it's one click past on.

sounds like one powerful light :lmao:

terrypercula
05/18/2014, 09:44 AM
sounds like one powerful light :lmao:

Yea they're damn strong ha

Fishy 1
05/19/2014, 07:18 AM
Have you decided on livestock choice Dave and what corals are you thinking about stocking?

terrypercula
05/19/2014, 10:15 AM
Have you decided on livestock choice Dave and what corals are you thinking about stocking?

Some zoas,plays,ricordea,maybe some acans a monti or two maybe even some euphyllia. Not sure about stocking though. Some kind of shrimp. I was thinking a Coral banded shrimp. Maybe the blue or gold variety. Not sure though.

Fishy 1
05/19/2014, 05:33 PM
Some zoas,plays,ricordea,maybe some acans a monti or two maybe even some euphyllia. Not sure about stocking though. Some kind of shrimp. I was thinking a Coral banded shrimp. Maybe the blue or gold variety. Not sure though.

I would vote for the acan and monti:thumbsup:. I will hopefully have some acans and monti's in my nano:)

terrypercula
05/19/2014, 05:39 PM
My rule of thumb for this tank is simple. Must have color, must POP. I want to get headaches looking at it :lmao:

Fishy 1
05/20/2014, 12:40 AM
Good rule of thumb Dave:thumbsup:
That's what my rule for my tank will be and like you I want headaches when I look at it :lol:

terrypercula
05/20/2014, 05:03 AM
Welcome to my tank...here's an aspirin :lol:

Fishy 1
05/20/2014, 05:19 AM
hahahaha :lmao: thats what i what i want people to say when they see my tank. "what a beautiful tank.....can i have an aspirin" :lolspin:

terrypercula
05/20/2014, 11:31 AM
Thinking about finishing my ECC(egg crate canopy lol) tonight. And do a test to see where things are at. I should note the reef rock I bought was not dry, my LFS keeps it cycling in a tank by itself so it was actually cured when I bought it thus my cycle may seem quicker than one should expect. It was right down the street so die off was minimal.

terrypercula
05/22/2014, 11:52 AM
Well my laziness kicked in and thus the DIY canopy is still not finished :lol: I'll get to it though. The light is impressing me so far. It's got a beautiful color tone, it fits the bill for the tank and for the price this thing is a steal. All this is being said very early into use though so maybe my opinion will change after long term use but as of right now I'm satisfied.

There's no livestock in there yet but I did throw a few pieces in out of my frag tank. The tank is still very young and unstable and I don't suggest anyone does what I'm doing but I can always throw pieces into my other tanks if I see problems arise so I'm willing to risk it. I may bust out the camera tonight and get some pictures up.

My ATO is set up with Kalk and Mag in RO/DI. Seems to be keeping everything spot on. This little tank may be more stable than expected thanks to my ATO.

Livestock plans are still up in the air. I could do some different shrimps, or one blue and yellow CBS my LFS has or something else all together. That I will wait some more time on still though. Bottom line is the worlds slowest pico build just got kicked into high gear :lmao:

spoon671
05/22/2014, 11:56 AM
Glad to see things speed up! Give me motivation to finally finish working on my ATO. I just need a reservoir.

So you mix Kalk and Mg into your RO ATO res?

Hentz
05/22/2014, 12:17 PM
I tried my first kalk dose last week. Well, the RO/DI top off water wasn't good since it wasn't air tight (from what I'm assuming.) The water was murky and cloudy, I don't think it set right.

terrypercula
05/22/2014, 03:24 PM
Glad to see things speed up! Give me motivation to finally finish working on my ATO. I just need a reservoir.

So you mix Kalk and Mg into your RO ATO res?

Ha glad I can help. Yes I mix the mag and Kalk into the RO/DI.

I tried my first kalk dose last week. Well, the RO/DI top off water wasn't good since it wasn't air tight (from what I'm assuming.) The water was murky and cloudy, I don't think it set right.

My RO/DI isn't in an air tight container either. As long as you mix it up well I would think you'd be fine.

Hentz
05/22/2014, 04:16 PM
Ha glad I can help. Yes I mix the mag and Kalk into the RO/DI.

My RO/DI isn't in an air tight container either. As long as you mix it up well I would think you'd be fine.

Hmm... I shook it pretty vigorously too. Idk, its weird lol

terrypercula
05/22/2014, 04:28 PM
Hmm... I shook it pretty vigorously too. Idk, its weird lol

Google kalk stirrer. I think people have built some nice DIY ones for under $50. That's the way to go. Avast marine has one to that seems pretty nice but frankly I just stir mine the old fashioned way ha

terrypercula
05/22/2014, 08:02 PM
I did manage to get a decent picture of my acans. This light is tough to get pictures out of. The blue overpowers everything in the eye of a camera lol

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140522_212534_762_zpsa38a53b1.jpg

terrypercula
05/24/2014, 06:49 AM
My tank is going through it's first test. I'm away all weekend let's see how reliable it is.

Fishy 1
05/24/2014, 07:08 AM
My tank is going through it's first test. I'm away all weekend let's see how reliable it is.
I love acans and yours look really nice.
Hope all goes well for you and the tank. Fingers crossed

terrypercula
05/24/2014, 07:10 AM
I love acans and yours look really nice.
Hope all goes well for you and the tank. Fingers crossed

Thank you! I might load it up with acans now. I did add a pink setosa frag too. Pretty hardy SPS from my experience.

Fishy 1
05/24/2014, 07:21 AM
What lighting does the setosa need as I would like one sps for my nano. I would love a acan dominant reef.

terrypercula
05/24/2014, 07:34 AM
What lighting does the setosa need as I would like one sps for my nano. I would love a acan dominant reef.

Similar to that of a montipora. About the same hardiness. Plus it's a beautiful bright pink, almost highlighter pink :lol:

Fishy 1
05/24/2014, 07:52 AM
Similar to that of a montipora. About the same hardiness. Plus it's a beautiful bright pink, almost highlighter pink :lol:

Wow that would look great. Time for some research:reading:

terrypercula
05/24/2014, 07:58 AM
I may also throw an across in there and pick up a sunset monti, I always wanted one.

spoon671
05/24/2014, 11:23 AM

Setosa huh? Hmm, I'm gonna have to look that one up. :)

terrypercula
05/24/2014, 02:30 PM
She'd look nice under that Kessil of yours ;)

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 06:59 AM
LFS has some sales today...wish me luck :lmao:

Fishy 1
05/26/2014, 07:27 AM
LFS has some sales today...wish me luck :lmao:

Go get a bargain Dave:)

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 07:46 AM
Haha fingers crossed!

Fishy 1
05/26/2014, 07:54 AM
Haha fingers crossed!

What are you planning to get?

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 08:03 AM
No plans really. Their frag rack is half off today. There's a little bit of everything but it might be picked out pretty well the sale has been going since Friday.

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 11:12 AM
Looking for deals

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140526_130726_343_zps62089531.jpg

Beautiful red sea DT at the LFS pictures do ZERO justice.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140526_130745_097_zps7d4b879b.jpg

spoon671
05/26/2014, 12:34 PM
Mmmmmm! Go get em Dave!

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 12:36 PM
Got a swirl hammer, acans, sunset monti and some zoas. Pics to come.

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 02:41 PM
new acan
"sour patch" acan

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0407_zps739c3b59.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/David_Korn/media/IMG_0407_zps739c3b59.jpg.html)

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 02:44 PM
I apologize as I'm average at best with a camera lol I'll try and get a few more pictures. Also I'm shooting in RAW and this is new to me but it's easier to bring out the real colors I see when I look at the tank.

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 03:31 PM
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0418_zps77e68b70.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/David_Korn/media/IMG_0418_zps77e68b70.jpg.html)

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0416_zps05ca9416.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/David_Korn/media/IMG_0416_zps05ca9416.jpg.html)

steventaylor702
05/26/2014, 06:05 PM
Where do you live that they get corals like that man lol those are gorgeous

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 06:11 PM
Where do you live that they get corals like that man lol those are gorgeous

Believe it or not Buffalo New York lol
I'm fortunate enough to be ten minutes away from two awesome LFS'. Not to mention the local community here is fantastic, small but great people.

steventaylor702
05/26/2014, 06:13 PM
Ya out here in Vegas we don't get such awesome corals we got to hunt out here for good ones when I got out I go to like 6 different stores all over town to find that one perfect piece I'm looking for

Fishy 1
05/26/2014, 06:14 PM
Dave my lfs doesn't have corals like that and I'm in Australia!!! You lucky person

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 06:17 PM
Ya out here in Vegas we don't get such awesome corals we got to hunt out here for good ones when I got out I go to like 6 different stores all over town to find that one perfect piece I'm looking for

Make the trip out to Cali there's some good stores there ha

Dave my lfs doesn't have corals like that and I'm in Australia!!! You lucky person

Very funny however I'd trade you my good LFS for your Great Barrier Reef :lmao:

steventaylor702
05/26/2014, 06:20 PM
Ya I'm making a trip in fall when I get my 50g up and going and my business license to sell stuff I gonna start a frag farm so I can get quality frags out here in Vegas

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 06:24 PM
Ya I'm making a trip in fall when I get my 50g up and going and my business license to sell stuff I gonna start a frag farm so I can get quality frags out here in Vegas

That's how a couple of my LFS started. One started because the reefer scene was heating up and there weren't a whole lot of good stores and the other started because his obsession gotout of hand at home lol

steventaylor702
05/26/2014, 06:28 PM
Ya its a little of both for me lol I love this hobby it's my crack lol and I also want to have a store that has everything and will also be open 24/7 for those late night holy crap moments that always happen when no one is open for a quick fix

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 06:34 PM
Ya its a little of both for me lol I love this hobby it's my crack lol and I also want to have a store that has everything and will also be open 24/7 for those late night holy crap moments that always happen when no one is open for a quick fix

That would be awesome but you have to calculate whether or not it's worth being open x amount of extra hours for the y amount of sales. Cool idea though there's definitely been a time or two at 2 am I needed an LFS to be open :lol:

steventaylor702
05/26/2014, 06:37 PM
I was thinking of having and emergency number for them to call for after hours service and have a building made where I can have my house on the side or upstairs so the store doesn't have to exactly be open open but if needed I can be there In a moments notice to help with whatever emergency needs

terrypercula
05/26/2014, 06:39 PM
I was thinking of having and emergency number for them to call for after hours service and have a building made where I can have my house on the side or upstairs so the store doesn't have to exactly be open open but if needed I can be there In a moments notice to help with whatever emergency needs

That's a good idea. Definitely would build a loyal customer base going the extra mile like that.

steventaylor702
05/26/2014, 06:55 PM
Yep

SmoothSmoke
05/27/2014, 08:54 AM
That new acan is niiiiiiiice!!!

terrypercula
05/27/2014, 11:28 AM
That new acan is niiiiiiiice!!!

Thank you! I saw it and had to get it. Took a chance because it was a fresh cut but I trust their fragging ability ha

terrypercula
05/29/2014, 08:55 PM
I love watching this tank from across the room. Color just slams you in the face lol

spoon671
05/29/2014, 09:16 PM
Dave, are these...

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140522_212534_762_zpsa38a53b1.jpg

..these?

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0407_zps739c3b59.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/David_Korn/media/IMG_0407_zps739c3b59.jpg.html)

terrypercula
05/29/2014, 09:23 PM
Dave, are these...

..these?

Yes lol I finally busted out the camera and played around with the white balance to give Ann idea of what they really look like

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 07:36 AM
Well I added a gold coral banded shrimp yesterday. It's still small and adjusting to my system but I like it!

Fishy 1
05/31/2014, 08:10 AM
Cool, post some pics when you can :D

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 08:14 AM
Cool, post some pics when you can :D

When it's more comfortable and active I'll post plenty of pictures ha

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 10:32 AM
Utter chaos frag for polyps for $50 hmmm

spoon671
05/31/2014, 11:24 AM
$12.50/polyp? I've seen much worse. How do they look?

I say get em!

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 11:49 AM
Acclimating as we speak lol

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 02:57 PM
A snap of my Electric oompa loompas

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0443_zps7545703e.jpg

More acans

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0444_zps18276b47.jpg

Spawn

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0445_zps26b580ae.jpg

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 05:04 PM
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140531_181759_502_zps80c9e87f.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140531_181729_455_zps76916312.jpg

Drilled 40 breeder.

Fishy 1
05/31/2014, 07:41 PM
Are you buying that tank or selling it?

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 08:11 PM
Are you buying that tank or selling it?

It's my 40 breeder. I have one running now sump less and this one is drilled and ready for action :D

SmoothSmoke
05/31/2014, 08:32 PM
Is that a blondie zoa?
Nm I see theyre called oompa loompas ha ha

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 08:37 PM
Is that a blondie zoa?
Nm I see theyre called oompa loompas ha ha

I'd like to get my hand on some Blondie's. Nice looking polyp.

SmoothSmoke
05/31/2014, 08:39 PM
I'd like to get my hand on some Blondie's. Nice looking polyp.

Out of all my zoas the blondies stand out the most. Even moreso than my rastas. Id frag you a piece but I only have 2 polyps.

terrypercula
05/31/2014, 08:43 PM
Out of all my zoas the blondies stand out the most. Even moreso than my rastas. Id frag you a piece but I only have 2 polyps.

Lol they're not quite ready. I like my rastas too though.

Fishy 1
06/17/2014, 07:11 AM
Any updates mate?

terrypercula
06/17/2014, 11:36 AM
Any updates mate?

Well this is awkward. Lol the tank is temporarily down. I got my 40 up and I wasn't paying attention to the poor three gallon. There's good news though! I should be starting a thread on the 40 soon.

Fishy 1
06/17/2014, 05:24 PM
Well this is awkward. Lol the tank is temporarily down. I got my 40 up and I wasn't paying attention to the poor three gallon. There's good news though! I should be starting a thread on the 40 soon.

Hehehe lol that's OK mate. Good luck with the 40 hey:)

Amatuer21
07/08/2014, 07:32 PM
Im following along on this build. Getting tired with one tank, i want a small night stand tank like this!!

terrypercula
07/08/2014, 08:40 PM
Im following along on this build. Getting tired with one tank, i want a small night stand tank like this!!

Haha well it was an interesting time to follow along. It's down for now. I'll say a few things about my fun little experiment. Definitely would never do this tank with out an ATO. Small daily water changes may be over kill but it's really your only useful form of nutrient export on a tank this small. A big enough HOB filter can give you all the current you need for a small tank. I still wouldn't do any fish in a tank this small besides I never felt the want for one. Something about a smaller environment makes things like hermits and shrimp seem so much more interesting than normal. Lighting wise I love the reef breeders light. Complete over kill for the tank but it's can awesome light. I actually had my gen 1 ecotech go down temporarily on my 40 breeder and the nano lite subbed for a free weeks and it covered pretty darn well and put out some pretty strong light. Beyond impressed with it though I still think the kessil would be better. It's worth having a cool little pico if you have the will to keep up on it.

terrypercula
07/08/2014, 09:29 PM
40 breeder

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_20140708_232106_630_zps12741b14.jpg

Amatuer21
07/09/2014, 09:30 AM
Haha well it was an interesting time to follow along. It's down for now. I'll say a few things about my fun little experiment. Definitely would never do this tank with out an ATO. Small daily water changes may be over kill but it's really your only useful form of nutrient export on a tank this small. A big enough HOB filter can give you all the current you need for a small tank. I still wouldn't do any fish in a tank this small besides I never felt the want for one. Something about a smaller environment makes things like hermits and shrimp seem so much more interesting than normal. Lighting wise I love the reef breeders light. Complete over kill for the tank but it's can awesome light. I actually had my gen 1 ecotech go down temporarily on my 40 breeder and the nano lite subbed for a free weeks and it covered pretty darn well and put out some pretty strong light. Beyond impressed with it though I still think the kessil would be better. It's worth having a cool little pico if you have the will to keep up on it.

I didnt even think about the ato, where would you put it in such a small sumpless tank? And will the hob filter be good enough?

terrypercula
07/09/2014, 09:47 AM
I didnt even think about the ato, where would you put it in such a small sumpless tank? And will the hob filter be good enough?

In my case the HOB was enough, it may not always be true. I put the float in my display for my ATO. I'm sure there's more creative ways of going about it though. It would be really cool to drill it and put like a 2 gallon sump on it just to hide the equipment ha

terrypercula
07/11/2014, 08:59 PM
Another picture of the 40.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/David_Korn/IMG_0498_zpsf9f60ed1.jpg

Amatuer21
07/12/2014, 11:32 AM
Love it man the 40 breeder is on my to do list. Just love the dimensions of them. What lights are you running over this, reef breeders?

terrypercula
07/12/2014, 02:21 PM
Love it man the 40 breeder is on my to do list. Just love the dimensions of them. What lights are you running over this, reef breeders?

4 ATI bulbs. I'm adding a reefbrite soon

Amatuer21
07/12/2014, 03:13 PM
Nice them ati bulbs are great. My next tank i want to run t5's again. With my current tank now with its dimensions there are now t5 fixtures that would work.

terrypercula
07/12/2014, 07:15 PM
Nice them ati bulbs are great. My next tank i want to run t5's again. With my current tank now with its dimensions there are now t5 fixtures that would work.

They are nice bit I miss the LED pop and shimmer hence my addition of the reefbrite ha

Fishy 1
07/20/2014, 05:42 AM
Pico tank and light update please tagging along

Interesting time to tag along, the pico isn't running atm, Dave is too busy with the breeder:lol:

Fishy 1
07/20/2014, 05:46 AM
Hey Dave, how are you finding the ati unit? I'm setting up a shallow reef and I'm looking at lighting options, Do you think that 4 T5's would be enough to grow SPS in a 12" tall tank?

terrypercula
07/20/2014, 08:37 AM
Hey Dave, how are you finding the ati unit? I'm setting up a shallow reef and I'm looking at lighting options, Do you think that 4 T5's would be enough to grow SPS in a 12" tall tank?

It's actually an old DIY unit I tore apart and retrofitted under my canopy, just has ATI bulbs. I would say 4 bulbs could do SPS on a reef that shallow but 6 would be better. I also love the LED supplementation. The extra color pop and shimmer is nice.

Fishy 1
07/20/2014, 05:43 PM
OK, I can get a 8 bulb unit for a bit more than a 4 bulb one, do you think that if I raise it up enough it would work on the tank?

terrypercula
07/20/2014, 07:16 PM
An 8 bulb would be awesome. I could actually wire mine to an 8 bulb if I wanted but I have no need to. Not a whole lot of SPS in my tank.

Fishy 1
07/21/2014, 12:01 AM
An 8 bulb would be awesome. I could actually wire mine to an 8 bulb if I wanted but I have no need to. Not a whole lot of SPS in my tank.

I could keep anything I want which is what I'm looking forward to. I hope to get a maxi clam or three as well as SPS.

terrypercula
07/21/2014, 06:38 AM
I could keep anything I want which is what I'm looking forward to. I hope to get a maxi clam or three as well as SPS.

Sounds like your tank is going to drink calcium :lol:

I have a clam in mine, some montis, setosa, a couple across but nothing crazy.